Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 31, 2023, 07:20:10 AM
Quote from: geezer on May 30, 2023, 11:23:39 PM
Doesnt matter how many Cargin have missing. Their depth of squad is unreal. Best squad in the county by a distance.

One less now young Benen Kelly ...ACL joint at county training.......

That's unfortunate

Training S&C at any level now is producing more and more injuries, the pace and strength given to an amateur sport is unreal

The worst injury back in my day was a sore leg, I thought a hamstring was a new sandwich
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

Speedy recovery to both Benen Kelly and Ryan Convery. Both class acts. It's easy to forget the level of sacrifice and commitment that our amateur players put in

ck

Doesnt matter how many Cargin have missing. Their depth of squad is unreal. Best squad in the county by a distance.

But is the quality there? Older players are all hanging on and well past it.
Surely if the quality was there they'd have more starting county players?

Just asking btw, I'm not overly familiar with the younger players.

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: ck on May 31, 2023, 10:13:51 AM

Andy mcentee must see something
Three players up with him who haven't started a senior championship game yet for cargin

EOC1923

What older player is still hanging on and is well past it lol

ck

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 31, 2023, 11:15:07 AM

McCanns, Crozier, KOB?
The opinion of most would be that these boys best years are well behind them. You'll be closer to the action EOC so feel free to correct me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ck on May 31, 2023, 11:21:41 AM

McCanns, Crozier, KOB?
The opinion of most would be that these boys best years are well behind them. You'll be closer to the action EOC so feel free to correct me.

Their best years may be behind them but they'll start the championship games (if fit) and would be well ahead of the young inexperienced (albeit quality players) coming through, IMO.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ck

Quote from: EOC13 on May 31, 2023, 10:37:12 AM

Andy mcentee must see something
Three players up with him who haven't started a senior championship game yet for cargin

Does that suggest quality or does it say something about McEntees judgement and love for big men?
Anyway, my point still stands. Very few Cargin players starting on the first 15.

EOC1923

McCanns, Crozier, KOB?
Says more about the quality lacking of other teams players that these lads can still win championships well into their 30s.
We have a nice mix of old and young which will be even more evident at the business end with likes of Conhiur Johnston, Conan Johnston, Eunan Quinn and Tom Shivers making the breakthrough to be first choice players. All top quality talent

EOC1923

Bannside will testify to the quality of Tom Shivers goal last night. On the Portglenone side the young full back Daniel was hugely impressive

geezer

The older Cargin men still have some life in them. Kobo looked like a 21 year old in last years final.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 31, 2023, 11:35:11 AM
Bannside will testify to the quality of Tom Shivers goal last night. On the Portglenone side the young full back Daniel was hugely impressive

As a neutral I agree very much on both of these
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 31, 2023, 11:35:11 AM

Two Quality players PG1 full back was very impressive

As for players getting older and past it' I wouldn't swap Justin crozier for any half back in the county right now he's flying.

geezer

Going by SG report, the players Cargin were missing: mick, tomas, paul, gerard mccann, kobo, jamie gribbin, close, conor johnston, eunan quinn, sean oneill, benen kelly, cahir donnelly.

Maybe a few more ive missed. Unreal strength in depth.

ck

Quote from: EOC1923 on May 31, 2023, 11:31:45 AM

McCanns, Crozier, KOB?
Says more about the quality lacking of other teams players that these lads can still win championships well into their 30s.
We have a nice mix of old and young which will be even more evident at the business end with likes of Conhiur Johnston, Conan Johnston, Eunan Quinn and Tom Shivers making the breakthrough to be first choice players. All top quality talent

Fair enough EOC. Sounds like the quality is there but just hasnt come through yet? Would Cargin folk think they should have more starters on current Antrim team?