Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saul goodman on April 26, 2023, 11:08:40 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2023, 10:35:42 PM
Our game at Aghagallon was end to end stuff, with plenty of quality on view.  Finished in a draw but felt more like a win for us as we tagged on three late points. Peter McGrath definitely has kicked them on a bit, clear to see. Dermot McAleese back made a difference for us. Impressed with Aghagallons number 10, think he might be Jonny Hannon, he won't do their scoring average any harm with feet like that!

What did you think of the ref Bannside ? 10 free kicks to PG1 only 2-1 from play think agahagallon managed 1-5 from play and the rest frees and penalty. I thought he was very whistle happy for both a difficult night for defenders

Did you count and advantages in those? Reason. I'm asking I gave around 6 tonight for one player alone, he probably thought I didn't want to give him a free!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Wonder why Cargin have to close their social club, and this has always been the rule, during games...?

Are the Hightown men not aware of that rule....?

Saul goodman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2023, 11:21:39 PM
Quote from: Saul goodman on April 26, 2023, 11:08:40 PM
Quote from: bannside on April 26, 2023, 10:35:42 PM
Our game at Aghagallon was end to end stuff, with plenty of quality on view.  Finished in a draw but felt more like a win for us as we tagged on three late points. Peter McGrath definitely has kicked them on a bit, clear to see. Dermot McAleese back made a difference for us. Impressed with Aghagallons number 10, think he might be Jonny Hannon, he won't do their scoring average any harm with feet like that!

What did you think of the ref Bannside ? 10 free kicks to PG1 only 2-1 from play think agahagallon managed 1-5 from play and the rest frees and penalty. I thought he was very whistle happy for both a difficult night for defenders

Did you count and advantages in those? Reason. I'm asking I gave around 6 tonight for one player alone, he probably thought I didn't want to give him a free!

there was not much advantage given for anything in the scoreable zone- the advantage was played mostly around the middle. Don't think the ref let a lot go in general probably trying to keep a tight lid on the game as he had no umpires or linesmen

barnish oggie

Been said in conversation a lot recently but it is getting harder and harder for refs who have to turn up to these games on their own with no linesmen and relying on the relevant clubs to do it.

Just seems to cause aggro and the ref can't see everything.

They could really do with another pairs of eyes at times as if they miss something they are damned by all and aren't really given the appropriate help from those on the line in a lot of cases due to bias.

barnish oggie

On another note, sad news from St Comgalls this morning after the death of big Cormac Allen.

I am sure a few of you would remember him from his playing days.

Would ye whist

That does seem to be an issue, however I have noticed at some of the games this year a few refs are trying to bring umpires with them for that extra cover

Quote from: barnish oggie on April 27, 2023, 08:47:07 AM
Been said in conversation a lot recently but it is getting harder and harder for refs who have to turn up to these games on their own with no linesmen and relying on the relevant clubs to do it.

They could really do with another pairs of eyes at times as if they miss something they are damned by all and aren't really given the appropriate help from those on the line in a lot of cases due to bias.

antrimman667

great win last night for aghohill, anyone at the match?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Would ye whist on April 27, 2023, 09:10:24 AM
That does seem to be an issue, however I have noticed at some of the games this year a few refs are trying to bring umpires with them for that extra cover

We can't get cover for the games never mind getting linesmen or umpires...

A lot of ref's will be doing 3 or more games over the weekend some two in one day. It's nearly impossible to have umpires from your club as the club has a game at same time
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2023, 10:15:57 AM

A lot of ref's will be doing 3 or more games over the weekend some two in one day. It's nearly impossible to have umpires from your club as the club has a game at same time

Tumelty had umpires last night great help to him

Milltown Row2

Quote from: InnocentByStander on April 27, 2023, 10:37:25 AM

Had them Wed night but its not always a given, the majority of games covered last night didn't and until championship its not always readily available

Glad to see you were happy with his performance

FrMaginn

From what I've seen this year, about 10 senior games, the level of refereeing has been very poor.  Last night was the worst and that's not to be harsh on the fellas, but there has been maybe 1 good ref for every 3/4 bad.
I don't think linesmen or umpires is the issue, I'm talking about general play around the middle third, linesmem would of course help for some decisions.  I understand being a referee is difficult job at times but I'm talking about obvious and clear errors and not 50:50 tackles.
Not sure what the solution is, the rules sometimes don't help but I'm sure if more ex players took up the whistle it would help.  The chances of that happening is probably null.  And before anyone says I'm being hyper critical for no reason, that's not my intention and I've done the referee test before and scored >90% so I do have a fairly decent understanding of the rules too

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 27, 2023, 10:43:43 AM
Quote from: InnocentByStander on April 27, 2023, 10:37:25 AM

Had them Wed night but its not always a given, the majority of games covered last night didn't and until championship its not always readily available

Glad to see you were happy with his performance

haha to be fair he done Cargin last week too and he's not the worst... ;D ;D

Understandable can be hard to get people to do umpire for the refs

Would ye whist

Care to elaborate what game you were at last night or are you talking about all the games last night?

Quote from: FrMaginn on April 27, 2023, 10:46:37 AM
From what I've seen this year, about 10 senior games, the level of refereeing has been very poor.  Last night was the worst and that's not to be harsh on the fellas, but there has been maybe 1 good ref for every 3/4 bad.
I don't think linesmen or umpires is the issue, I'm talking about general play around the middle third, linesmem would of course help for some decisions.  I understand being a referee is difficult job at times but I'm talking about obvious and clear errors and not 50:50 tackles.
Not sure what the solution is, the rules sometimes don't help but I'm sure if more ex players took up the whistle it would help.  The chances of that happening is probably null.  And before anyone says I'm being hyper critical for no reason, that's not my intention and I've done the referee test before and scored >90% so I do have a fairly decent understanding of the rules too

FrMaginn

Quote from: Would ye whist on April 27, 2023, 10:54:14 AM
Care to elaborate what game you were at last night or are you talking about all the games last night?

Quote from: FrMaginn on April 27, 2023, 10:46:37 AM

How could it be all the games?  I don't want to single this fella out no, as I know refs do their best and it's not intentional.  But it was 'in the city'

Milltown Row2

Only one 'city' game last night  ;)