Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

BS for the record I think Lenny deserves a lot of credit for his stint and I didn't intend on turning this into a witch hunt on you as I respect your opinions -  just a few on the McGinley front didn't sit right with me. That is all.

bannside

That's fair enough ITG, all good.

I saw your post and I started thinking about how much luck was actually involved and then that took on a life of it's own.

If you walk into a bookies and ask what are the odds on your team winning by exactly one point. Easy enough. About 10/1. What are the odds on any score under pressure from 40 yards outside the scoring zone. About 3/1. And what are the odds on it being the very last kick of the game, hardly time for their keeper to kick the ball out - about 5/1. (Just a guess -I found that hard to work out). What would those odds be?

Then multiply those odds by three (X occasions). Never mind three in a row, that's a different story.

All I know is that's one huge stat, and you'de have as good a chance at winning the lottery!

And we would all call that lucky......

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on June 09, 2022, 03:05:11 PM
The Limerick team of 2020 were flying top of Div 4 with four wins out if four. Just saying. But there you go again, totally trying to rubbish the work Lenny did. Beating them by 14 was a huge performance.
Lennys league tenure - all in Division 4 - 55% win rate
McGinleys league games - Inc one season in Div 3 - 73% win rate

bannside

That was an impressive statistic, not debating that for a second. It's the 0% of wins in the last four games that brought up this discussion.

Or the average of 7 points loss per game across those 4 games if you want to dive into the detail.

Belfast GAA man

does anyone no why mcginley quit? it is really very good info for the next manger to know and the county board. after 2 years in charge he can privde good insights
take antrim from 4 to 3 is success - too much negativity here

ck

I have to add my twopence here but BS is bang on the money on his analysis IMO. He hasn't uttered a single inaccurate word regarding the senior footballers and management. After some promise the wheels came off. Players leaving the squad rang alarm bells for me. Never a good sign.

EOC1923

Quote from: ck on June 09, 2022, 05:02:34 PM
I have to add my twopence here but BS is bang on the money on his analysis IMO. He hasn't uttered a single inaccurate word regarding the senior footballers and management. After some promise the wheels came off. Players leaving the squad rang alarm bells for me. Never a good sign.
Why not aim this at the players who left rather than the management. Like the full back dropping you in it to go to America the week of a championship game, your goalie throwing the head up as the back up goalie got some game time at the end of the league. Other established players not making themselves available. These are player commitment issues not management issues CK. Ended poorly for Antrims management and another year wasn't going to work out, I agree with that.

bannside

EOC coming out now to agree that another year wasn't going to work out for EMG - there was me going thinking I was in a minority on this... That's good, it's great when you hear your own words finally coming back.

Re player walk out. There had to be a reason why so many took this route. Did anyone think of asking the players themselves?

Paddy Gallagher didn't walk out. He'd have walked through a brick wall to be on that squad, a definite starter for the three or four years beforehand, still only 29 at the time, and wasn't given the respect of even a trial. That set a bad tone for me from week one.

country bumpkin

Quote from: EOC1923 on June 09, 2022, 05:33:26 PM
Quote from: ck on June 09, 2022, 05:02:34 PM
Why not aim this at the players who left rather than the management. Like the full back dropping you in it to go to America the week of a championship game, your goalie throwing the head up as the back up goalie got some game time at the end of the league. Other established players not making themselves available. These are player commitment issues not management issues CK. Ended poorly for Antrims management and another year wasn't going to work out, I agree with that.

Jeez PG1 had three players invited to join the Antrim squat at the outset of Enda's tenure....only one made himself available...!

BS, told this board in a matter of words that they, those who did not answer the call, that they wished to concentrate on club.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on June 09, 2022, 06:40:10 PM
EOC coming out now to agree that another year wasn't going to work out for EMG - there was me going thinking I was in a minority on this... That's good, it's great when you hear your own words finally coming back.

Re player walk out. There had to be a reason why so many took this route. Did anyone think of asking the players themselves?

Paddy Gallagher didn't walk out. He'd have walked through a brick wall to be on that squad, a definite starter for the three or four years beforehand, still only 29 at the time, and wasn't given the respect of even a trial. That set a bad tone for me from week one.
Wasn't going to work because of the lack of commitment from some players, no other reason.
You need to let it go BS, another average enough player into the starting lineup wouldn't of helped I don't think, but I'm sure the new man will give him a chance if he wants it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: bannside on June 09, 2022, 06:40:10 PM

That makes it sound like you had your mind made up before things had even started.

bannside

Once again you go disrespecting the previous manager who did rate him. And I can assure you seeing that it was before you started going regularly, that PG rarely let us down. But go ahead and tell us that in your opinion he is average.

He may or may not have started all the time, but was huge on leadership and was first to arrive at training every night. A model panellist and very popular amongst the squad. Gassed without even a trial or a thank you after 10 years of sterling service. Simply shocking.

bannside

No definitely not ITG. Was hoping it would work, but that was a bad start you have to admit.

imtommygunn

Should he not have been coming in with a clean slate and making his own decisions ?  The luck and this are two things that I don't see as being particularly objective tbh. I mean first to arrive at training every night - really? I used to be first at training near every night - still was no good at football!!

bannside

Football can be harsh, tough decisions made and managers cannot please everyone. No one denies that ITG but there's a way of doing it. PG got badly treated, there's no nice way of dressing that up.

Most of the players who toiled with him over the years for the county will attest to that. It wasn't new managements finest moment, let's put it that way.