Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Our game with St Galls was played in a sporting manner with zero bad feeling or controversy until the incident where Niall Mc Keever got sent off.

He was struck twice by his opponent (with closed fist and then head) before he retaliated by sticking up for himself. When the referee first saw the incident which was off the ball, both were going at it, so referee had no choice, he saw both players striking at that stage.

However....what is a player supposed to do in such a situation? Nialls discipline has been excellent all year, despite being constantly targeted on and off the ball. Referees need to be wise to this. It left a very bad taste with us, and yes, tempers got a bit frayed after that.

Lár na páirce 1

I'd rather pick on someone a bit smaller than 6ft 7 and 16 St 👀

bannside

We are just taking one game at a time, players really enjoying the new management and playing with confidence. JMK has plenty up his sleeve, no medals in March or April. We have a Cargin Creggan and LD coming up soon - we win, no panic - we lose, no panic either. Mc Namee is the real test in a few months.

Would ye whist

I take your point BS, however two things:

1. I have some sympathy for refs in instances like this as they are on their own in league games with no neutral umpires or lines men so can only see so much.

2. I know Niall may get targeted, however, I have seen him in action and he is no angel either 

Quote from: bannside on April 14, 2022, 09:56:55 AM
Our game with St Galls was played in a sporting manner with zero bad feeling or controversy until the incident where Niall Mc Keever got sent off.

He was struck twice by his opponent (with closed fist and then head) before he retaliated by sticking up for himself. When the referee first saw the incident which was off the ball, both were going at it, so referee had no choice, he saw both players striking at that stage.

However....what is a player supposed to do in such a situation? Nialls discipline has been excellent all year, despite being constantly targeted on and off the ball. Referees need to be wise to this. It left a very bad taste with us, and yes, tempers got a bit frayed after that.

EOC1923

rogercasement

Wasn't at the game and have no doubt big Niall was targeted as he always is and undoubtedly the refs look at it as a case of he is big enough to look after himself, this attitude is ridiculous!
What I would say is Niall needs to be more discreet in his retaliation! Last year against Ahoghill in championship being prime example. Retaliate when it's not expected!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on April 14, 2022, 10:06:23 AM
We are just taking one game at a time, players really enjoying the new management and playing with confidence. JMK has plenty up his sleeve, no medals in March or April. We have a Cargin Creggan and LD coming up soon - we win, no panic - we lose, no panic either. Mc Namee is the real test in a few months.

Jeez BS so unless you manage to overturn the big man's red that will mean you have to line out against Cargin a man down.

Surely that hands Cargin a huge advantage...?

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: country bumpkin on April 14, 2022, 10:17:08 AM
Quote from: bannside on April 14, 2022, 10:06:23 AM

Cargin team stuttering along, ports be huge favourites with the form they are showing regardless of who may be missing, talk of mcnamee very premature but we shall see

Jeez BS so unless you manage to overturn the big man's red that will mean you have to line out against Cargin a man down.

Surely that hands Cargin a huge advantage...?

Milltown Row2

Good players are always going to get some attention, that's competitive sport, its how you deal with that attention is what stands you apart from that

As for the red cards, who throws first or last its the striking in which gets the red card. I personally don't mind the fisty cuffs, I wouldn't be known to send players off, but when its two lads going at it then it leaves you with no choice at times.

It'll be a one game ban, nothing of any note to come from it, the normal jostling after such incidents need to be sorted and clubs need to look at having subs behind the fence as this would reduce a lot of these things.

The ref has no control when lads take it upon themselves to be over aggressive in tackles, other than handing out cards that is all he can do, lads reacting is not his fault.

As for me being able to watch the club, I'm injured this week, an accidental (I hope lol) in a game on Sunday, not fully fit, hopefully back for the game in Portglenone ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

CB wtf are you actually on about? Cargin match just another game for us win lose or draw. Both teams will have 15 starting the game. It's only the league. Both clubs will attempt to time their run for the chsmpionship. Same as about a dozen other clubs!  Is there something about this that's hard to understand?

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on April 14, 2022, 10:54:56 AM
CB wtf are you actually on about? Cargin match just another game for us win lose or draw. Both teams will have 15 starting the game. It's only the league. Both clubs will attempt to time their run for the chsmpionship. Same as about a dozen other clubs!  Is there something about this that's hard to understand?

Love to mark a moment in history BS as Tir na Nog gaining a first ever verdict over St Galls lately.

Maybe I am wrong but do you remember when PG1 managed to breast the winning line with a win over Cargin in league or championship...?

Surely a win on the next one over Cargin would mark a moment in history...??

rogercasement

I certainly remember a win over Cargin, and I remember a few comments from Cargin men about embarrassment. However if push comes to shove I'd say cargin would win 8 out of 10 games against us.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: country bumpkin on April 14, 2022, 11:12:36 AM

Love to mark a moment in history BS as Tir na Nog gaining a first ever verdict over St Galls lately.

Maybe I am wrong but do you remember when PG1 managed to breast the winning line with a win over Cargin in league or championship...?

Definitely happened in league before
20 years ago
Championship semi final 2005 ? Maybe I'm wrong
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Lár na páirce 1

2005 semi final before being beaten handily by galls.
We came back 2006 to win mcNamee again

country bumpkin

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on April 14, 2022, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on April 14, 2022, 11:12:36 AM

Definitely happened in league before
20 years ago
Championship semi final 2005 ? Maybe I'm wrong

Had forgotten that one....remember the final.v Galls though...

Cargin suitably chastened came back to meet up with Mac Namee 2006....