Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on February 17, 2022, 07:00:40 PM
Quote from: Spike on February 17, 2022, 04:23:13 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 17, 2022, 04:02:30 PM
Are the schools that (as you say) don't have a shortage of GAA staff doing enough to get them out on the pitches three days a week after school?

The 11 or 12 year old going into a school in Cookstown or Magherafelt isn't that far ahead of many of their peers going into schools in Antrim. I contend it's what happens after that makes the biggest difference.

Eg in Magherafelt or Cookstown they work harder at it. GAA matters more.

As I said previously, many parents will decide to send their child to a school where they know their 7 year player development programme will enhance their child's ability, not deter it.

Well said BS.  Sometimes we have to hold our hands up and admit that we don't work hard enough collectively in Antrim.  Small numbers taking all the burden.  Making the schools work means hard work for slow rewards which doesn't suit the people wanting immediate success.    We are too far behind for immediate success.   

JimStynes made a good point also about the local schools.  We have had plenty of kids of equal talent go to Derry schools and others go to Antrim Schools.  Vast vast majority who attended the Derry schools kicked on further.  Not a coincidence.

One glance through the teamsheets of our two strongest county teams Cargin and Creggan, knowing which of those players attended schools in Derry,  will tell you all you need to know about the power of schools football.   
But Christ, that's fairly selective. Creggan win one championship in about 100 years and we're attributing it to their players playing MacRory with the Derry schools.
Yet no mention of school's football with a St Galls team who dominated Antrim football for 15 years. The best club side the county has ever had. Because the vast majority of their players played B football and not MacRory?

And Cargin with the huge majority of their players having received post primary education won 5 outa six senior titles in recent times.

But a well managed under age coaching programme in place with utilising the experience of past players to the utmost.

In actual fact such well worn path to South Derry Post primary education continues.....

country bumpkin

Missed the important bit....'in South Derry'...and one notable exception in Ronan Gribbin who attended my old college...St Malachys.

Thanks you your advice forgetting about the hint of sarcasm....

bannside

If we had clubs doing things well, and county development squad activity bang on top of their game (well resourced, quality coaches, all properly managed) then there is a chance a player could get a sufficient mix of quantity and quality across any given week or month - without any dependence on schools. On that basis anything at all coming back from school activity would be a bonus.

In Tyrone for example, all three strands or pillars are in place. Club, school, county.

We have a lot of catch up to do to make our way into this elite territory. But....if we can make a little improvement on all fronts each year, in 5 years we could be much more competitive across the board. In ten we could be unrecognisable!

But this kind of push needs to be driven....it won't happen by itself.

barnish oggie

Quote from: Saffsof82 on February 17, 2022, 12:26:11 AM
Quote from: referee on February 16, 2022, 05:55:56 PM
Antrim only seem to get fellas on board development squad management if their wee Joey or Tommy are involved,this is where other counties seem to succeed, getting the best coaches in place and not just anyone

Fair enough point, think that's why Dev squads are all now headed by a member of Gaelfast , g Mcnulty, s mckenna and Ronan mcartan, 14,15 & 16 respectively. Then coaches filled in around them like sambo, l Higgins, o Doherty, f Fitzsimmons . Takes the doting daddy equation out of it. But kevin is right , maybe the better model in Antrim is to run regional Dev squads and not cherry pick, upping the standards of everyone. Worth considering I'd say

I was up at the development squad trials for one of the age groups before Christmas and was very unimpressed by the setup.

Majority of the coaches were from one Belfast club and surprise surprise, I think every player they had there got through.

There seemed to be a lead coach from Gaelfast and then 5 or 6 assisting, 4 of which were from the same club and the other two were from other Belfast clubs.

It definitely seemed to favour Belfast players and those from the country were small in numbers going through to the next stage compared to Belfast teams.

I would guarantee if a SW selection played against a Belfast selection the SW team would stuff them, so it is strange how the much higher majority of players selected were from Belfast.

You would nearly think those in charge hadn't watched a SW game all last season and stayed in Belfast for games......

barnish oggie

Quote from: EOC1923 on February 13, 2022, 08:29:40 PM
Great to be at a high level game like that and see the club names Cargin, Moneyglass and Portglenone beside players names in the programme. Can only be a good thing. Can we not talk Brady into taking our minors or U20s at some point. Would love to see it.

Did I read the squads correctly that there was a player from St Comgall's on the St Mary's panel?

McKeating?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: barnish oggie on February 18, 2022, 02:54:12 PM
Antrim only seem to get fellas on board development squad management if their wee Joey or Tommy are involved,this is where other counties seem to succeed, getting the best coaches in place and not just anyone

Fair enough point, think that's why Dev squads are all now headed by a member of Gaelfast , g Mcnulty, s mckenna and Ronan mcartan, 14,15 & 16 respectively. Then coaches filled in around them like sambo, l Higgins, o Doherty, f Fitzsimmons . Takes the doting daddy equation out of it. But kevin is right , maybe the better model in Antrim is to run regional Dev squads and not cherry pick, upping the standards of everyone. Worth considering I'd say

I was up at the development squad trials for one of the age groups before Christmas and was very unimpressed by the setup.

Majority of the coaches were from one Belfast club and surprise surprise, I think every player they had there got through.

There seemed to be a lead coach from Gaelfast and then 5 or 6 assisting, 4 of which were from the same club and the other two were from other Belfast clubs.

It definitely seemed to favour Belfast players and those from the country were small in numbers going through to the next stage compared to Belfast teams.

I would guarantee if a SW selection played against a Belfast selection the SW team would stuff them, so it is strange how the much higher majority of players selected were from Belfast.

You would nearly think those in charge hadn't watched a SW game all last season and stayed in Belfast for games......

Sure we are so far behind in Belfast we need as many players developing better than our country cousins otherwise we'll be competing for the Junior championship only
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 18, 2022, 03:08:23 PM
Quote from: barnish oggie on February 18, 2022, 02:54:12 PM

Sure we are so far behind in Belfast we need as many players developing better than our country cousins otherwise we'll be competing for the Junior championship only

Good point..... ;)

imtommygunn

Quote from: barnish oggie on February 18, 2022, 02:55:17 PM
Great to be at a high level game like that and see the club names Cargin, Moneyglass and Portglenone beside players names in the programme. Can only be a good thing. Can we not talk Brady into taking our minors or U20s at some point. Would love to see it.

Did I read the squads correctly that there was a player from St Comgall's on the St Mary's panel?

McKeating?

I noticed he was in the squad for the semi but when people were talking about the final squad he didn't seem to be mentioned but there was definitely an antrim boy in the panel at some point. Name I am not so sure on. Don't slag Belfast - MR is very sensitive  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 18, 2022, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: barnish oggie on February 18, 2022, 02:55:17 PM

McKeating?

I noticed he was in the squad for the semi but when people were talking about the final squad he didn't seem to be mentioned but there was definitely an antrim boy in the panel at some point. Name I am not so sure on. Don't slag Belfast - MR is very sensitive  ;D

Junior b at this rate  ;D

Hoping we get the win on Saturday, I think they beat is handy enough last time. Limerick game put to bed and the manager will have the players pumped to get a win.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

These are the games we need to be getting points from. Not a gimme by any stretch, but to keep our progress curve on track two points are essential tomorrow.

A day for grafters, Conor Murray, Marty Johnston, Declan Lynch need to be seeing action if available for selection. Paddy Mc Bride always in a good shift on his own pitch too.

Saffsof82

Bannside , that must be some surface yous have in Portglenone? Hosting 3 matches tomorrow, fair play

bannside

And a game tonight, just over. Pitch in fine condition Saffs.

Saffsof82

Paddy McCormick in for James mcauley only change I think since limerick game

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on February 18, 2022, 05:05:13 PM
These are the games we need to be getting points from. Not a gimme by any stretch, but to keep our progress curve on track two points are essential tomorrow.

A day for grafters, Conor Murray, Marty Johnston, Declan Lynch need to be seeing action if available for selection. Paddy Mc Bride always in a good shift on his own pitch too.

Not listening to you BS.......tried my best.
A couple of enforced changes.....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on February 18, 2022, 10:06:56 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 18, 2022, 05:05:13 PM

Not listening to you BS.......tried my best.
A couple of enforced changes.....

Your obvious influence on the wain after the Limerick result