Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciall

Quote from: bannside on February 01, 2022, 09:31:28 PM
Some great points and discussion on this subject.

It is coming across fairly clear that schools are unlikely to implement a whole new ethos based around GAA. It's too much of a leap for many schools and when they look into the calibre or willingness of teachers availability to lead this out, they aren't inspired.

So what can WE do.

(1) Deliver a better standard of player into year 8 from work already done at primary level or within clubs, and (2) let's see if schools would be up for the challenge if they thought there was meaningful coaching and financial support provided.

Both these things are achievable, and I know in SW quite a few clubs are working harder than before with their juveniles and without doubt a few in the city are increasing their focus in this area.

Someone needs to lead the second project, it's a sales job, but if professionally presented, has a great chance of buy in from the three partners, co board, school and SBF or sponsors.

It's a 3 -5 year journey, maybe more, but it needs to start somewhere.

So when do you start Bannside?  ;D
It's a big ask for anyone in fairness but it's definitely needed. There was, and likely still is, a tradition in Belfast of kids going to St Marys to play better grade football/hurling. The teachers in St Marys- Paddy Cunningham, Paddy Linden, Sean Kelly to name a few have a wealth of knowledge that could be utilised. So there's a Belfast option right away.
Unlike BGAAM I grew a set and I've just asked a member of staff in Gaelfast what they do-
- S&C support for St Marys Belfast and St Louis Grammar
- each staff member has at least 2 post primary schools to coach in each week for a set period of weeks
- St Marys Belfast- both Gerard McNulty and Sean McKenna in providing coaching support to the football squads.
- free coach education entry to any teachers in the schools.
Not as bad as I'd have thought, but not enough on its own either.

Saffsof82

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on February 01, 2022, 05:48:01 PM
Secondary schools should be part of Gaelfast plan. No point doing works with primary kids only and if going to waste. Haven't heard much about Gaelfast recently?

Why, who did you ask?

Saffsof82

Quote from: bannside on February 01, 2022, 10:39:58 PM
That's a great initiative by our county treasurer Donal Murphy to allow all juveniles in for free on Saturday for our game against Limerick if accompanied by team mentors. Some smart thinking that could pay rich dividends down the tracks.
[/quote

Yep,treasurer seems to be driving a lot at the moment, do you think he will be pushing to be chairman BS?

whatwillbwillb

Haven't seen anything in relation to a "way forward" from our new Director of Football?

bannside

I'd keep Donal where he is Saffs lol, doing a great job for the club as well as the county!

Indeed WWB, all very quiet on that front. But we should not rush to make judgements, these things take time. It would be good to know what initiatives are planned though or what Gearoid plans to change.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Saffsof82 on February 01, 2022, 11:54:45 PM
Secondary schools should be part of Gaelfast plan. No point doing works with primary kids only and if going to waste. Haven't heard much about Gaelfast recently?

Why, who did you ask?
Because I would like to know what they are doing as an Antrim Gael. I find it strange that if Gaelfast are supposed to be promoting GAA in ANtrim and it's not in the varoius media I look at where it very easy to get coverage. I read INews every day and see hundreds of trivial posts in facebook etc so why should you have to contact Gaelfast for an update? Are they PR shy?

Caesar

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on February 02, 2022, 07:33:53 AM
Haven't seen anything in relation to a "way forward" from our new Director of Football?

Over 4 months have passed since the appointment of our new Director Of Football. It's fair to expect some details of his plan to have been shared before now.

It would also be interesting to know the remit and what the selection process was for the role.

I don't want to be too critical without knowing the facts but there are certainly a few questions that need answered.

JimStynes

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on February 02, 2022, 12:38:18 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on February 01, 2022, 11:54:45 PM

Why, who did you ask?
Because I would like to know what they are doing as an Antrim Gael. I find it strange that if Gaelfast are supposed to be promoting GAA in ANtrim and it's not in the varoius media I look at where it very easy to get coverage. I read INews every day and see hundreds of trivial posts in facebook etc so why should you have to contact Gaelfast for an update? Are they PR shy?

I think that's a fair point to make BG. If there is good work going on then shout it from the rooftops and stick it all over social media.

EOC1923

All that is being said on here but about schools and making more effort is true, but what about things that we can control that we aren't doing. Any follower on social media can look at what Derry are doing. GAA Hubs created at Celtic Park and Meadowbank for 6 weeks winter go games. We a really poor at this stuff. Other counties have go games every week, at some levels last season 3 or 4 Go Game dates between April and September - Not good enough, not enough emphasis put on this. This is where we will continue to lag behind other counties.

Saffsof82

Quote from: EOC1923 on February 03, 2022, 07:57:06 AM
All that is being said on here but about schools and making more effort is true, but what about things that we can control that we aren't doing. Any follower on social media can look at what Derry are doing. GAA Hubs created at Celtic Park and Meadowbank for 6 weeks winter go games. We a really poor at this stuff. Other counties have go games every week, at some levels last season 3 or 4 Go Game dates between April and September - Not good enough, not enough emphasis put on this. This is where we will continue to lag behind other counties.

Are go games Divisional board supervision?

delgany

Quote from: EOC1923 on February 03, 2022, 07:57:06 AM

Gaelfast had 'super  games' winter leagues going for football & hurling , open to every club in Antrim!
There are plenty of Go Games organised in the divisional boards, but Covid did impact this , strangely !

Kickham csc

Just catching up on the conversation, ref schools, are good first step would be to create a Co Antrim schools championship, create some local rivalry.  Kerry and Cork do this, and vocational schools used to have this structure.

Might be a small step in creating the GAA coulture that we were discussing eariler

EOC1923

Oh aye Covid, that's why we are poorly organised at Go Games, should of realised that! So nothing to worry about here, everything is in hand??

delgany

:o
Quote from: EOC1923 on February 03, 2022, 03:58:27 PM
Oh aye Covid, that's why we are poorly organised at Go Games, should of realised that! So nothing to worry about here, everything is in hand??

Go games , go alternate weeks for each single year group from u7 to u 11, there are as many games as you want to play in !

EOC1923

What if I want to play now, but they don't start until the end of April?