Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

Niall McKeever and Mark Sweeney rumoured to have hung up the intercounty boots. I thought big Niall had his best ever season this year for Antrim, be a real shame if he didn't follow through on that.

bannside

Niall McKeever and Niall Delargy have declined invitations to be part of this year's squad for personal reasons, likewise Justin Crozier and Paddy Cunningham who have officially called it a day at county level. Wasn't sure about Mark Sweeney.

geezer

Quote from: bannside on December 13, 2021, 09:14:07 AM
Niall McKeever and Niall Delargy have declined invitations to be part of this year's squad for personal reasons, likewise Justin Crozier and Paddy Cunningham who have officially called it a day at county level. Wasn't sure about Mark Sweeney.

Mckeevers presence in the middle will be missed. Would like to see kevin small in there now given his dominant performances in the championship. Delargy will be a massive miss unfortunately, great player.

Caesar

I assume they are both still able to commit to their club?

Will surely be a boost for the Ports to have them for the full year.

bannside

Yes Caesar. Both have plans to devote their full attention to the club's push in 2022. Both have served the county well, but being good clubmen they will probably never feel completely whole in a football sense unless they can be part of a senior championship winning team.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on December 13, 2021, 04:36:54 PM
Yes Caesar. Both have plans to devote their full attention to the club's push in 2022. Both have served the county well, but being good clubmen they will probably never feel completely whole in a football sense unless they can be part of a senior championship winning team.

I always found that the strength and conditioning at the county set up would benefit the players when they filtered back into the club?

A few Creggan lads were on the county panel last year, didn't harm them..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stiffler

I'd have PG1 favourites for next year's championship.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

bannside

Strength and Conditioning in the PG1 set up will be arguably better than the county set up MR. John McKeever is well on top of things like this.

I wouldn't say we are favourites Stiffler, but I'm not going to apologise for saying that I would definitely expect to see noticeable improvement, and that should realistically leave us close enough.

EOC1923

Big talk there BS. You must have a few forward targets for the January transfer window, otherwise I suspect you won't really be that close I'm afraid.

bannside

It kind of suits us perfectly EOC that many share your view that PG1 are nowhere near making a breakthrough. I recall a learned Gael from Cargin informing me in the not too distant past that not in his lifetime would we see Creggan beat them in a championship match. That didn't last long.

Things do change, and just as Cargin did eventually make a breakthrough after many heartbreaking failures, so too other clubs can put a run together. Creggan looked good value for their victory against Erin's Own, and your challenge is to get back up on your own horse.

PG1 are one of several teams on an upward progress curve. Further improvement under a fresh management team should leave us there or thereabouts. I'm happy to stand by that view

rogercasement

I would have to say PG1 need to make vast improvements to get to the top. Going in the right direction though, John the right man I feel. I would however agree that we need 2 or 3 forwards!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rogercasement on December 13, 2021, 08:41:51 PM
I would have to say PG1 need to make vast improvements to get to the top. Going in the right direction though, John the right man I feel. I would however agree that we need 2 or 3 forwards!

Which forwards aren't cutting it for you?  ::)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

A new bakery around Ballymena?

rogercasement

I think anyone that played in our forwards is a perfectly good footballer who gets their fair share of scores, it is an out and out score hungry forward we miss and someone who will score 18 frees out of 20! I know they are few and far between but can dream.

EOC1923

Quote from: bannside on December 13, 2021, 08:41:21 PM
It kind of suits us perfectly EOC that many share your view that PG1 are nowhere near making a breakthrough. I recall a learned Gael from Cargin informing me in the not too distant past that not in his lifetime would we see Creggan beat them in a championship match. That didn't last long.

Things do change, and just as Cargin did eventually make a breakthrough after many heartbreaking failures, so too other clubs can put a run together. Creggan looked good value for their victory against Erin's Own, and your challenge is to get back up on your own horse.

PG1 are one of several teams on an upward progress curve. Further improvement under a fresh management team should leave us there or thereabouts. I'm happy to stand by that view
John will improve you, but you struggle with teams like Ahoghill and St Brigids currently. The top 2 blow these teams away quite easily. That's a lot of ground to make up, that's just my opinion.