Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Another quick point.....whoever is given allocated the job....their very first phone call should be to talk to Hugh Mc Gettigan and build him into the backroom team. Hugh knows Antrim football just as well as anyone in the county, and will be there for 100% the right reason. Would be a great asset for any new management team.

Pjoe

BS any view from the players on how they felt about Lenny and his backroom during the term?

Man Marker

Interesting read, couple if observations. Bannside references Derry as having a terrific squad. Seriously IMO a team that had no balls, couldn't put back to back Ulster championship wins until 2011, for one season where they returned to normal service. IMO Antrim had a better team at that time. There championship results support my position. A bit of guts in that team.
Bannside prefers a complete long shot, no barometer, nothing. A pure gamble. Do not understand your rationale at all. It should be either McKeever or Madden because they are Antrim men, EVERY TIME. Cassidy has some CV so clearly knows his job.

bannside

With EMG there is some element of a punt....that cannot be denied. Joe Mc Mahon alongside Ryan Mc Menamin made hard enough work with Fermanagh. Jody was a Tyrone midfielder who did not hit the heights for us either. I can't really put my finger on it...but I think EMG with a strong backroom team would do well. Its just instinct, obviously I cant back it up with anything more than that.

Im already sold on anything involving Mc Keever Madden Brady, as I said previously all these men would be more than capable of delivering our optimum potential. Would any of them do it for free? Thats the big question. Take money out of the equation and see how many are still standing! That would help shape my thinking too. Would Cassidy do it for free??

Who is available, thats the real question! Lets not talk about hypothetical situations. Some of those above are involved with other projects. That rules them out does it not? If they are available then they should fire their names into the mix otherwise its wasting time discussing it.

Jim Gavins good too!

asaffgael

Is Cassidy going with Cargan another year? If so EMG is the only name not with a job for next year then?

angermanagement

Quote from: bannside on November 11, 2020, 04:56:54 PM
Another quick point.....whoever is given allocated the job....their very first phone call should be to talk to Hugh Mc Gettigan and build him into the backroom team. Hugh knows Antrim football just as well as anyone in the county, and will be there for 100% the right reason. Would be a great asset for any new management team.

Not sure if Hugh is retired yet, but he'd be a perfect fit for director of football, the same way Neal Pedan is director of hurling.

EOC1923

If Antrim want someone that will do it for free I am pretty sure they would be the only team in Ireland that expect a man to do a 7 day a week job for nothing. Maybe why we are still in Division 4 given the last 2 cheap option appointments.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 11, 2020, 11:47:04 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2020, 09:11:33 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 02:19:35 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on November 10, 2020, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2020, 11:11:57 AM
Most defo needs to go to a SW man... with how well the SW west managers have been performing in the the clubs like Cargin these last few years and Creggan last year, even Aghagallon have done really well in the SW.. I'm sure anyone of those managers would love a crack at the job....oh wait
I say give it to a St Galls man, hasn't been enough of them given a chance in the last 15- 20 years (Cough Cough PJ O Hare, Mickey Culbert, Frank Dawson, Lenny)

I'm all for the best man for the job. The SW managers at the helm of the SW clubs that are doing well should get the nod, no?
The SW teams all have outside managerS? only trust their own coaches with the kids
Of the 12 Div 1 teams in Antrim, from my knowledge 9 of them have outsiders in their management team. 5 SW and 4 Belfast teams. What is your point going over that argument constantly?
St Johns - Kelly , LD - Lynch , Rossa Close i think, St Brides Eunan, St Galls Murray theres 5 Belfast div 1 clubs with their own volunteers unless you no different?

bannside

Antrim are not looking anyone to do this for free. No one has ever said that. There is a lazy misconception that Lenny was a cheap option. But likewise it shouldnt be all about the money.

In any event if it was me I'd like to see what was the best VALUE. Everything has its price.

If one of the above mentioned was to say their usual package including backroom team was £xk, I would say look the deal is 50% of that and you can get 25%more if you get us promoted and another 25% for every championship game you win.

That might help with the shortlist, thats all.

BigBallWeeBall

Doubt that price structure would appeal.. You'd get better at club teams ffs

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: angermanagement on November 11, 2020, 07:02:52 PM
Quote from: bannside on November 11, 2020, 04:56:54 PM
I'd say Brian White would be a good shout for director of football and coild take a longer view of things instead of just the cycle of manager after manager - look after the whole lot

Not sure if Hugh is retired yet, but he'd be a perfect fit for director of football, the same way Neal Pedan is director of hurling.

EOC1923

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2020, 07:32:02 PM
Most defo needs to go to a SW man... with how well the SW west managers have been performing in the the clubs like Cargin these last few years and Creggan last year, even Aghagallon have done really well in the SW.. I'm sure anyone of those managers would love a crack at the job....oh wait
I say give it to a St Galls man, hasn't been enough of them given a chance in the last 15- 20 years (Cough Cough PJ O Hare, Mickey Culbert, Frank Dawson, Lenny)

I'm all for the best man for the job. The SW managers at the helm of the SW clubs that are doing well should get the nod, no?
The SW teams all have outside managerS? only trust their own coaches with the kids
Of the 12 Div 1 teams in Antrim, from my knowledge 9 of them have outsiders in their management team. 5 SW and 4 Belfast teams. What is your point going over that argument constantly?
St Johns - Kelly , LD - Lynch , Rossa Close i think, St Brides Eunan, St Galls Murray theres 5 Belfast div 1 clubs with their own volunteers unless you no different?
Tired of this now but for example Fay Devlin and Gavin McGeehan are also at St Galls. Dont argue when you arent up to speed

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: EOC1923 on November 11, 2020, 07:58:46 PM

Tired of this now but for example Fay Devlin and Gavin McGeehan are also at St Galls. Dont argue when you arent up to speed
yeah you seem to be expert in the murky world of brown envelopes - aRe you getting a turn yourself?

on the sideline

Quote from: bannside on November 11, 2020, 06:45:15 PM
With EMG there is some element of a punt....that cannot be denied. Joe Mc Mahon alongside Ryan Mc Menamin made hard enough work with Fermanagh. Jody was a Tyrone midfielder who did not hit the heights for us either. I can't really put my finger on it...but I think EMG with a strong backroom team would do well. Its just instinct, obviously I cant back it up with anything more than that.

Im already sold on anything involving Mc Keever Madden Brady, as I said previously all these men would be more than capable of delivering our optimum potential. Would any of them do it for free? Thats the big question. Take money out of the equation and see how many are still standing! That would help shape my thinking too. Would Cassidy do it for free??

Who is available, thats the real question! Lets not talk about hypothetical situations. Some of those above are involved with other projects. That rules them out does it not? If they are available then they should fire their names into the mix otherwise its wasting time discussing it.

Jim Gavins good too!

Just interested how Enda McGinley is being mentioned as potential Antrim manager? What has he done in his managerial career so far that would elevate him into that kind of consideration? Genuine question

EOC1923

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2020, 08:09:26 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on November 11, 2020, 07:58:46 PM

yeah you seem to be expert in the murky world of brown envelopes - aRe you getting a turn yourself?
good reply  ???