Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calm Down

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 20, 2020, 04:52:50 PM
So after all the tripe on here as last week, fair play to Toland. That's why he got the gig and Mick McCann is still the the best in the county.

I am the first to eat my hat in Colm O'Rourke style, fair play Totes did a fantastic job!

After an incident I witnessed yesterday, coupled with my attitude last week and Totes performance today I have a longer musing, however I will post tomorrow as I consider my words over a pint

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Calm Down on September 20, 2020, 06:42:33 PM
So after all the tripe on here as last week, fair play to Toland. That's why he got the gig and Mick McCann is still the the best in the county.

I am the first to eat my hat in Colm O'Rourke style, fair play Totes did a fantastic job!

After an incident I witnessed yesterday, coupled with my attitude last week and Totes performance today I have a longer musing, however I will post tomorrow as I consider my words over a pint
Fantastic job, is this a joke? ;D he undermined his umpire and overruled a wide and gave a point which ultimately costed Creggan a championship. He also bottled a few certain creggan free kicks in the last minute or so of normal time up in the corner.

imtommygunn

Bs close is excellent but maybe not quite as good as you make him out there. Definitely fantastic to bring off the bench.

Fair play to cargin. Had hoped Creggan might do it but just that wee bit more experience told I think.

bannside

All about opinions I suppose, but Kieran Close would be top of my pile by a distance if youre looking at the man who delivered time after time for Cargin, his greatest strength was to link up with others and his unselfishness. It was never all about him ( like the true greats like Gooch Cooper. It was about winning his own ball and getting the head up to provide killer passes to others. Close and Michael Magill were unstoppable in their pomp, and still doing it today at 37 coming 38 says it all. Changed the game in Cargins favour the minute he stepped on the pitch. IMO.

imtommygunn

Big factor last year too. On the bench for the impact reason I suspect.

St galls have quite a few who would probably lay claim to what you say but anyway I don't want to take away from him as he's definitely a great wee player too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on September 20, 2020, 08:26:08 PM
All about opinions I suppose, but Kieran Close would be top of my pile by a distance if youre looking at the man who delivered time after time for Cargin, his greatest strength was to link up with others and his unselfishness. It was never all about him ( like the true greats like Gooch Cooper. It was about winning his own ball and getting the head up to provide killer passes to others. Close and Michael Magill were unstoppable in their pomp, and still doing it today at 37 coming 38 says it all. Changed the game in Cargins favour the minute he stepped on the pitch. IMO.

In their pomp we were playing in Croke Park  ;)

But yes he was vital today and last year too, great to have
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

I thought he was poor. There was a blatant foul on a Cargin player at the end of normal time which he ignored, then the ball went up the other end and he gave a very soft free to Creggan. Conversely in extra time he did the opposite, giving Cargin a handy one and not giving Creggan one.

These were game changing decisions.

Also Creggan seemed to be getting away with a lot of persistent fouling with no cards being shown.

Bronco

Totally agree with this. Antrim had been a breath of fresh air this year compared to a free Derry games I've watched.

Quote from: themac_23 on September 20, 2020, 05:09:58 PM
Hats off to both teams, great game of football and everything that's good with football, some great scores great tackling and some unbelievable fielding. Contrast to the derry game between slaughneil and glen, watched the first half here and such a negative game both teams dropping everyone behind the ball and every kick out short and slow build up play. The Antrim championship has been great, been refreshing seeing attacking football

Bronco

That was 100 percent a point, he got that one right. I didn't think he had a great game but that call in fairness was spot on.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 20, 2020, 06:51:40 PM

Fantastic job, is this a joke? ;D he undermined his umpire and overruled a wide and gave a point which ultimately costed Creggan a championship. He also bottled a few certain creggan free kicks in the last minute or so of normal time up in the corner.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Bronco on September 20, 2020, 11:45:27 PM
That was 100 percent a point, he got that one right. I didn't think he had a great game but that call in fairness was spot on.

How do you know he got it right? Umpire gave it a wide, the commentators were quite adamant it was wide too.

Milltown Row2

Bronco was standing right behind it, again how he got a ticket for the final, being a neutral is beyond me. Like whom out the club would give away a ticket for that match?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Obviously disappointed today after yesterday. The lads were so close, just couldn't get enough on the board to create a winning position on Cargin. Was in the brother in laws last night and the banter was good. Unfortunately for us when Cargin got the run on us they had the ability to take hold of the game. Easily the best final in years, brilliant football in a splendid surface. I think Cargins bench won it, fresh players and good players, we hadn't the same depth. It really showed in extra time. Our lads can hold their heads high, what more could they give in comparison to two years ago.  By god I like to think their is a championship in them, but two final defeats in three years can break the best of them.
The ref was definitely poor, for both teams. The point being discussed, I hadn't a view to comment. The foul on Kane at the end was a real bottler from Toland, thank god😁. There was a spell in the game where u couldn't buy a foul, he let every tackle go. Congratulations to Cargin on getting three in a row. The brother in law said he thought they were finished 3 years ago, but gives great credit to Cassidy and Devlin for giving them new impetus by introducing as 6/7 new players into the team.
Finally it has been a great season of sport in football and hurling in such difficult times. A shout out to the CB for getting Jerome Quinn on board to stream the games, but initiative for all Antrim gaels. 

imtommygunn

Definitely a few years ago you would have thought Cargin were aging and weren't going to continue their dominance especially as it had been a while since underage success but that has changed a lot. Shivers is a good one and there are quite a few younger players in there too who are decent.(Bradley, Gribben, McShane) The two minor wins will stand them in good stead too. They will lose KOBO, McCann(maybe x 2), Close, Crozier in the next 3 or 4 years but as evidenced yesterday there's a bit of life in them yet.

While I thought the Kane one was a free at the end I also though there was one the other end so at least they cancelled each other out. In terms of the perceived wide the commentators were adamant it was over but from what I saw I thought it was over and I thought one umpire gave it as over too did he not? I don't think the referee gave one team any more than the other to be honest so don't think the ref beat anyone.

Bronco

I was there and had a perfect view of it, definitely a point.

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 20, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: Bronco on September 20, 2020, 11:45:27 PM

How do you know he got it right? Umpire gave it a wide, the commentators were quite adamant it was wide too.

Bronco

You seem to be making a habit of snide comments. I suppose we should be grateful you aren't calling people bellends....

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 07:39:07 AM
Bronco was standing right behind it, again how he got a ticket for the final, being a neutral is beyond me. Like whom out the club would give away a ticket for that match?