Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronco

Happy to remove the posts to avoid any misunderstanding. For the record I'm not saying I feel there was anything untoward in the officiating. What is clear is that a player was sent off for something which simply didn't take place. That is a grave error. I think we can all agree we don't want to see such errors.

123Bigball

What happens to the official then when the report and evidence is there to support the player.card overturned.ref not held accountable really.still get more games next season.same problems occur for another team next year.

123Bigball

Think a few of us should watch the video back on the Antrim Facebook page. If you watch clearly there a few strikes being thrown. Are we quick to judge the official based on a players reputation to date

Calm Down

Quote from: 123Bigball on September 14, 2020, 10:06:29 AM
What happens to the official then when the report and evidence is there to support the player.card overturned.ref not held accountable really.still get more games next season.same problems occur for another team next year.

Lads do we really have enough officials to be sanctioning referees, I know Jarlath well and he is an honest man and maybe he mis-interpreted what he seen or thought he had seen at the time.

Perhaps instead of seeking to punish referees we should be questioning as to the process of appointments for all games not just the big games. Does anyone know what the process is? Do we have a panel who select the referees or is it a finger in the air job?

Bronco

I wouldn't have any issue with the referee on that particular incident,he was clearly acting on the advice of one of his officials. I think he's actually one of the better referees in the county.

The referee has an unenviable task with the new rules and they need all the help they can get.

Bronco

I think you've inadvertently highlighted the real issue with officiating. Because the pool is so small,and understandably so given the abuse they take, county boards can't afford to punish an official for making a big mistake, so they continue to officiate big games no matter how poor their performance.

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 10:12:50 AM

Lads do we really have enough officials to be sanctioning referees, I know Jarlath well and he is an honest man and maybe he mis-interpreted what he seen or thought he had seen at the time.

Perhaps instead of seeking to punish referees we should be questioning as to the process of appointments for all games not just the big games. Does anyone know what the process is? Do we have a panel who select the referees or is it a finger in the air job?

Calm Down

Quote from: Bronco on September 14, 2020, 10:26:20 AM
I think you've inadvertently highlighted the real issue with officiating. Because the pool is so small,and understandably so given the abuse they take, county boards can't afford to punish an official for making a big mistake, so they continue to officiate big games no matter how poor their performance.

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 10:12:50 AM

I do agree that due to a small pool the powers that be are somewhat hamstrung on who they can appoint, however I am sure Jarlath will not mind me saying it is quite some time since he officiated as a referee at SFC level, therefore why is he being rolled out to ref when the likes of Parke etc are at home?

paddyjohn

So far we've have a pop at The Chairman, Toland and Jarlath O'Donnell..

It's not even midday!

Calm Down

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 14, 2020, 10:38:40 AM

It's not even midday!

No pop at either of the three parties here

123Bigball

What if jarlath seen more than we all seen or we can't see in the video. Camera doesn't go to incident straight away. Lahm dearg official not happy with something that has happened and is clearly seen pointing to umpires. Maybe him.amd jarlath hd better view.

Regardless be good to see both teams full out , big pitch, good referee and good honest,quality of football played after what we witnessed in final 2 years ago.

Bronco

I'll balance it out with a positive - Antrim's promotion of club football and hurling during this difficult time has been excellent. Screening the semi finals free on Facebook was a great move, helped by the quality of the games of course.

Sean Kelly does a great job, as do the Saffron Gael lads. It's a credit to all involved.

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 14, 2020, 10:38:40 AM

It's not even midday!

Bronco

I've spoken to say least 20 people, supporters from both teams, as well as neutrals, and to a man all said there was nothing in the incident which warranted a red.

Quote from: 123Bigball on September 14, 2020, 10:50:19 AM
What if jarlath seen more than we all seen or we can't see in the video. Camera doesn't go to incident straight away. Lahm dearg official not happy with something that has happened and is clearly seen pointing to umpires. Maybe him.amd jarlath hd better view.

Regardless be good to see both teams full out , big pitch, good referee and good honest,quality of football played after what we witnessed in final 2 years ago.

123Bigball

Then the appeals process should be handy.

Agree, Sean Kelly has been superb and coverage of games online has been great. Great to see hurling on tg4 yesterday. Saffron Gael top notch as always.

County panel back training this week, wonder will any new faces be added to squad after club championship performances

Calm Down

Quote from: 123Bigball on September 14, 2020, 10:59:11 AM

Agree, Sean Kelly has been superb and coverage of games online has been great. Great to see hurling on tg4 yesterday. Saffron Gael top notch as always.

County panel back training this week, wonder will any new faces be added to squad after club championship performances

Can it really be that handy if a qualified official has alerted the referee to what he has seen, surely it would take footage to show it didn't happen or a rescinded statement from Jarlath?

Sean Kelly is doing far more for our games in Antrim than a lot of committees over the year

Bronco

I'd be very surprised if there was a rescinded statement, how do you clearly see a headbutt, sure enough to alert the referee, and then later backtrack and say you were mistaken?

But the video is clear, nothing hapoened. That combined with multiple impartial eyewitness testimony should be enough to ensure justice prevails.

Quote from: Calm Down on September 14, 2020, 11:03:19 AM
Quote from: 123Bigball on September 14, 2020, 10:59:11 AM

Can it really be that handy if a qualified official has alerted the referee to what he has seen, surely it would take footage to show it didn't happen or a rescinded statement from Jarlath?

Sean Kelly is doing far more for our games in Antrim than a lot of committees over the year