Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 23, 2015, 11:16:20 AM
Quote from: Spike on October 23, 2015, 10:58:40 AM
Rumour has it Crossmaglen pull this nonsense every year they have a home draw.  not sure what benefit getting turned down does for them.  serious test for Cargin. If they play as they against st galls they've a good chance but only played in spells in the other 2 matches. maybe its a good thing having that gear change available to them

Pull this nonsense?  We have played a lot of first round games in our home pitch as it is a designated County ground.  When the Athletic Grounds was closed down for years our ground was used by Armagh repeatedly for county games and all the county finals and we actually played St Galls there in 2010 and took their Ulster and AI title off them.   But at the end of the day a pitch is a pitch and won't be the difference in us winning but I've no doubt any club would try the same 'nonsense' if it will give them any advantage.

Sure every county has other 'county' grounds. it doesn't mean that you get to pick the one that suits best, other than your main one. I'm sure the Armagh board, after all the dough they've spent on the athletic ground, are appreciative of Cross' stance.

Spike

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 23, 2015, 11:18:22 AM
Unionist people will never embrace the GAA so long as their elected representatives continue to spout hate against it. They have spent years demonising the organisation and those that either play it or help it.

We dont have to change anything we do, they have to accept that is what this organisation is about. The promotion of our game, our identity and culture. We cant just decide to drop the flag, the anthem, lose the Irish language to appease another person. They want us to change the club names, the trophy names, the club colours. Do they make that same gesture? of course not.

Just right - we shouldn't have to change but we can make gestures to soften some of their stances or incorrect labelling of our games.  Perhaps its just a pipe dream.

country bumpkin

Rumour has it Crossmaglen pull this nonsense every year they have a home draw.  not sure what benefit getting turned down does for them.  serious test for Cargin. If they play as they against st galls they've a good chance but only played in spells in the other 2 matches. maybe its a good thing having that gear change available to them

Pull this nonsense?  We have played a lot of first round games in our home pitch as it is a designated County ground.  When the Athletic Grounds was closed down for years our ground was used by Armagh repeatedly for county games and all the county finals and we actually played St Galls there in 2010 and took their Ulster and AI title off them.   But at the end of the day a pitch is a pitch and won't be the difference in us winning but I've no doubt any club would try the same 'nonsense' if it will give them any advantage.
[/qusote]

Sure Cargin are already resigned to their fate and will travel just to fulfill the fixrure and some are even contemplating pulling out of the panel. JB is likely to resign soon I hear.
Sure Oisin was at. Ahoghill last week with his management team in tow and he must have noticed all our failings.
Cross are certainly never seen to be playin at 'mind games', and aren't we just gullible country bumpkins (read to day's Irish News).
The

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 23, 2015, 12:06:48 PM

[/qusote]

Sure Cargin are already resigned to their fate and will travel just to fulfill the fixrure and some are even contemplating pulling out of the panel. JB is likely to resign soon I hear.
Sure Oisin was at. Ahoghill last week with his management team in tow and he must have noticed all our failings.
Cross are certainly never seen to be playin at 'mind games', and aren't we just gullible country bumpkins (read to day's Irish News).
The

I get the general gist of that but I'm not sure what you're on about referring to today's Irish News? 

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Spike on October 23, 2015, 11:59:42 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 23, 2015, 11:18:22 AM
Unionist people will never embrace the GAA so long as their elected representatives continue to spout hate against it. They have spent years demonising the organisation and those that either play it or help it.

We dont have to change anything we do, they have to accept that is what this organisation is about. The promotion of our game, our identity and culture. We cant just decide to drop the flag, the anthem, lose the Irish language to appease another person. They want us to change the club names, the trophy names, the club colours. Do they make that same gesture? of course not.

Just right - we shouldn't have to change but we can make gestures to soften some of their stances or incorrect labelling of our games.  Perhaps its just a pipe dream.

I can see it happen but not for a long time until the current unionist reps go the way of the dinosaurs. They are the ones who wont accept the GAA for what it is.

Also doesnt help when people like Jarleth Burns are on quoting nonsense about losing the flag and anthem to make it more appealing to the unionist people. Maybe he forgets the hate or scorn to which they pour on the irish language of which hes a big supporter of.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

If u have a look at todays I News bcrossbar, we have Oisin Mc telling us all that Jamie Clarke is back but because he 'cannot commit' his services won't be required......really? He then goes on to tell us all that Aaron Kernan is fully fit and playing 'the football of his life'....really?....We are then reliably informed by the fully truthful Oisin that Armagh football is bad and he expects to be fully tested by Cargin ..really?.................

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 23, 2015, 01:49:38 PM
If u have a look at todays I News bcrossbar, we have Oisin Mc telling us all that Jamie Clarke is back but because he 'cannot commit' his services won't be required......really? He then goes on to tell us all that Aaron Kernan is fully fit and playing 'the football of his life'....really?....We are then reliably informed by the fully truthful Oisin that Armagh football is bad and he expects to be fully tested by Cargin ..really?.................

Yes really!!!  Jamie is home to sort out stuff for his visa so he can go back out. AK is just back from injury and is playing well. And really Armagh football is dreadful and Cargin will be a big step up. What's the issue?

oakleafgael

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 23, 2015, 12:10:13 PM

[/qusote]

The

I get the general gist of that but I'm not sure what you're on about referring to today's Irish News?

Hopefully the delightful Cross supporters refrain from throwing stones at John Brennan on Sunday.

general_lee

Bookies aren't really expecting anything other than a handy cross victory judging by the odds, similar to what they offered for the Armagh Harps match

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: oakleafgael on October 23, 2015, 02:10:57 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 23, 2015, 12:10:13 PM

[/qusote]

The

Hopefully the delightful Cross supporters refrain from throwing stones at John Brennan on Sunday.

Hopefully the delightful John Brennan won't attack the ref and tried to force his way into the Cross dressing room after the game.

imtommygunn

Quote from: general_lee on October 23, 2015, 02:20:26 PM
Bookies aren't really expecting anything other than a handy cross victory judging by the odds, similar to what they offered for the Armagh Harps match

Antrim are deemed the weakest county in ulster with new champions as well against cross who have years and years of experience in this competition. Cross have to be strong favourites. Be a massive upset if they don't win. That said I hope they don't but it would be a massive upset.

general_lee

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 23, 2015, 02:49:45 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 23, 2015, 02:20:26 PM

Antrim are deemed the weakest county in ulster with new champions as well against cross who have years and years of experience in this competition. Cross have to be strong favourites. Be a massive upset if they don't win. That said I hope they don't but it would be a massive upset.
True but everyone knows cross practically get a bye in the Armagh final. Like surely Cargin are a better outfit than Armagh Harps, and probably even have a few survivors from 2006?

Kickham csc

Point of Note
Antrim are the weakest at county level, but not at club, and we shouldn't mix the two up

It has been a long time since our club teams take a hammering like the Fermanagh champs did last week

St Gall's represented Antrim well, so did Cargin before them.
Last time St John's were in it, they took out Arboe
When St Paul's were in it, they more than held their own.

Antrim have good footballers, just not enough good footballers totally committed to the county

general_lee

I'd have thought the same kickham any team that stuffs St galls are no slouches

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on October 23, 2015, 05:25:12 PM
I'd have thought the same kickham any team that stuffs St galls are no slouches

We're past it 😉... Cargin beat us hand, Cross have beaten us handy so it should be close  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea