Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: theskull1 on October 17, 2015, 06:12:24 PM
Just back from the intermediate final. Big gulf in football know how between ourselves and Glenavy and it turned out to be a bit of a stroll in the park once they got a five point lead. Had to laugh at the ironic refereeing decision to yellow card our keeper for time wasting when we were 8 points down with 7 or 8 minutes to play. Well done Glenavy

Glenavys 2 corner forwards were super today. Really impressed by them. Fair play to Dunloy, I'm sure if you asked Dominic Dillon in March if he would of been happy with promotion & a county final he would of bit your hand off. As for the junior, well done Davitts, I'm sure nobody in Glenravel is questioning that result.

themac_23

Quote from: paddyjohn on October 17, 2015, 11:10:38 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 17, 2015, 06:12:24 PM
Just back from the intermediate final. Big gulf in football know how between ourselves and Glenavy and it turned out to be a bit of a stroll in the park once they got a five point lead. Had to laugh at the ironic refereeing decision to yellow card our keeper for time wasting when we were 8 points down with 7 or 8 minutes to play. Well done Glenavy

Glenavys 2 corner forwards were super today. Really impressed by them. Fair play to Dunloy, I'm sure if you asked Dominic Dillon in March if he would of been happy with promotion & a county final he would of bit your hand off. As for the junior, well done Davitts, I'm sure nobody in Glenravel is questioning that result.

Couldn't make the games yesterday so cant comment but congratulations to both teams, i think Davitts are back to where they should be, Intermediate football and hopefully they can kick on, there isn't a massive gulf in class between top of div 3 and bottom of div 2.
Equally i hope Glenavy can make an impression in senior football next year. They are a great club who are making strides to get back to Div1, Just goes to show what can be done with a bit of commitment.

bannside

Congratulations to new county champions Erins  Own.  Especially to the half a dozen who have toiled valiantly in St Galls wake for the best part of a decade.

As a spectacle it was poor enough though. The game lacked cohesion and it was hard to pick out many star performers. Overall it was the team ethic that got Cargin comfortably enough over the line. That's the JB speciality. No one bigger than him or his team. It mightnt be pretty but where's the cup tonight?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on October 18, 2015, 08:56:44 PM
Congratulations to new county champions Erins  Own.  Especially to the half a dozen who have toiled valiantly in St Galls wake for the best part of a decade.

As a spectacle it was poor enough though. The game lacked cohesion and it was hard to pick out many star performers. Overall it was the team ethic that got Cargin comfortably enough over the line. That's the JB speciality. No one bigger than him or his team. It mightnt be pretty but where's the cup tonight?

What was the score??  Its about getting over the line.. Hopefully Cargin an JB make a better impression in Ulster than we have of late.. Well done Cargin, hard luck Lamhs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Eight or nine points in it MR. Cargin scored two penalties and missed a third. Not a pretty spectacle with a lot of macho stuff, sledging, and Sean Laverty  getting more than a few mouthfuls which went well over the top and wouldn't be acceptable in any other sport.

Cargin awesome against St Galls, decent agsinst Creggan and middling enough today by the standards needed to compete in Ulster. It will take another performance like the St Galls one to have a chance against Crossmaglen. Hopefully they can do us proud but do need to find that next level.

bannside

Incidentally I noticed Colie Donnelly at the game. Heard he has allowed his name to go forward to contest the position for county chairman. A great gael who played both codes with distinction. Colie definitely would offer a breath of fresh air that is so urgently needed.

Fantastic to finally see someone of this calibre stepping up to the plate.

country bumpkin

May not have been all that pretty Bannside, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as you say the cup is resting on the banks of the bann tonite and who would question cargin are the best in Antrim bar none, and although many questioned resolve in previous finals they have always dusted down, picked themselves up and came back for more, and character can never be in question within the ranks of green and white....................the JB factor is evident, and the last time he brought a Cargin team to meet the men from Cross they were distinctly unlucky to lose in the semis after a good win over Carmen, with a late Jim Mc Conville goal seeing the Orchard men over the line with only a couple to spare.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 18, 2015, 10:01:33 PM
May not have been all that pretty Bannside, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and as you say the cup is resting on the banks of the bann tonite and who would question cargin are the best in Antrim bar none, and although many questioned resolve in previous finals they have always dusted down, picked themselves up and came back for more, and character can never be in question within the ranks of green and white....................the JB factor is evident, and the last time he brought a Cargin team to meet the men from Cross they were distinctly unlucky to lose in the semis after a good win over Carmen, with a late Jim Mc Conville goal seeing the Orchard men over the line with only a couple to spare.

This year 😉
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bloodybreakball

culchie11

bloodybreakball - you dont post for over a year then you give us that bit of wisdom! not very constructive!!

cargin deserved champions this year & i wish them well in ulster! they face a daunting task of travelling to armagh to play cross, who had observers in attendance yesterday.

bannside what calibre has collie donnelly got?! at the end of the day, him and his croonies can promise the world and more, but fact is we havent any money to do things!! `

I hear Geroid is part of snr backroom team, with magee as strength coach. im sure there may be a few new faces and old ones back in the frame also.

bannside

Antrim affairs is such a total mess at the minute that it is a daunting task for whoever takes on the job of sorting this mess out.

No money left for Dunsilly. Club Aontroma at loggerheads with county officials to ensure they spend their funds on player development where it was intended, and not some big black hole.

We don't have one single person on the committee that's overseeing the Casement debacle. That's just for starters. Rock bottom is an understatement.

For those reasons we need fresh blood. Someone that can unite the county by being straight and not engaging in doublespeak pretending everything is ok when it's blatantly not. We need a good man with no baggage or history to install confidence and bring others into the fold.

We don't need more "experts". We need a person who can entice a dozen others into the fold...by being able to put their trust and faith in a new administration.

The old brigade have failed us. Time for new starts and new faces and that starts at the top. Collie a great example of the type of person who can do this/get this done. That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure others will have theirs!

Hectic

Only made it to Creggan Saturday.  Junior final looked like a junior final with a lack of real quality on both sides.  Some chat here last week about players missing but ultimately it was tactics that won the day with Davitts disciplined with the blanket and Glenravel totally devoid of ideas as a result though their shooting did not help their cause.

Intermediate final big let down also.  I thought Dunloy would have the big game mentality but ultimately easily overcome by a Glenavy team that certainly looked a division above them.

The positive of the day was the weather and the conditions, unfortunately the excitement could not match.

Now on to the U21 Championship - can anyone see past the like of St Johns or Creggan?

Points a Good Score

Ultimately as I suppose we already knew it but Cargin won the championship the night they beat St Galls, yesterday they didn't appear to get out of 2nd or 3rd gear. The big difference in the last few years that I can see is their discipline in the tackle I though they were superb defensively yesterday and did enough up front to win. Getting 3 penalties and scoring 2 obviously did no harm as well.

brendanbelfast

"bannside what calibre has collie donnelly got?! at the end of the day, him and his croonies can promise the world and more, but fact is we havent any money to do things!!"

Cronies? Good to see you giving a positive welcome to those who are prepared to step up and try and change things. Good man.

bannside

+1. "Can promise the world and more".

That's exactly what he won't do if his challenge is successful. Much more likely to say "This is a big mess lads and we need a massive effort just to start turning this shit around".

We are done with false dawns, false promises, and false expectations. What we need is brutal honesty about what is needed to properly promote Gaelic games and culture in County Antrim. And the provision of a spirit of inclusiveness that encourages people of genuine ability to work for the Saffron cause.