Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 03, 2015, 02:28:51 PM
Awful sensitive MR

I'm not, but really come one?? Looking at minor teams for the county and equating that for championship glory at senior level? Sure there was a while back ya had 6/7 Cargin lads on the senior panel and 1 Galls man.. and on that panel ya don't even have a Cargin player.

Do you think Tommy that it should reflect more?  As I said we are slowly but surely coming to an end of control senior football in Antrim, its been a blast and the lads are a great bunch of players for the club, but things come to an end.. It won't be a major shock when it eventually happens
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

In time, if it's recurring, it will catch up  but it will take a while and this year is only one year. If you have a run of 5 or 6 years like that then it would be a worry for you yes but not just yet. It is interesting to see no cargin or st galls players on it. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but if it keeps happening it will mean something.

There's still a bit of life in your team yet and with the like of that Burke and a few others you're not all over the hill yet.  You do have to be beat eventually though. Every year people think it's different and it never is and I suspect that will go on for a while yet!

You're up there to be knocked down - take it as a compliment...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 03, 2015, 03:34:15 PM
In time, if it's recurring, it will catch up  but it will take a while and this year is only one year. If you have a run of 5 or 6 years like that then it would be a worry for you yes but not just yet. It is interesting to see no cargin or st galls players on it. Doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but if it keeps happening it will mean something.

There's still a bit of life in your team yet and with the like of that Burke and a few others you're not all over the hill yet.  You do have to be beat eventually though. Every year people think it's different and it never is and I suspect that will go on for a while yet!

You're up there to be knocked down - take it as a compliment...

Look not that long ago I remember going to watch our seniors in Div 2 so we've been down and turned it around. looking back at that it was dreadfull but happens to all clubs... It's how you turn things around thats telling... we've a great wee dual team coming through with a lot of kids related to seniors and ex seniors, great motivation for them and good signs for the club
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

culchie11

Disappointing on sunday for our senior footballers, sending off had a bearing on the game, but oour lack of support to our 2 man full forward line would have resulted in the same result anyway. We coughed up the ball numerous times by running into green jerseys.

Be interesting to see who stays on board for qualifiers & who jumps ship.

For what it is worth i thought the full back line were v good, Burke got the plaudits for marking Quigley, but i thought Ricky Johnston & Delargy both did equally as well.

The minors did well in the 2nd half when the cut out the stupid mistakes, of which cost us 2-1 in the 1st half. We were winning ball at midfield & then decided to change it, which confused everyone around me, Fermanagh supporters too.

The St Galls player on the minor panel is a blow in from St Patrick's Lisburn at that!
He is not alone on the panel as there are 3 in total who have switched clubs that i know of.
Seems to be rife at the moment in the Aldergrove/Glenavy area moving to West Belfast clubs.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: culchie11 on June 03, 2015, 03:58:01 PM
Disappointing on sunday for our senior footballers, sending off had a bearing on the game, but oour lack of support to our 2 man full forward line would have resulted in the same result anyway. We coughed up the ball numerous times by running into green jerseys.

For what it is worth i thought the full back line were v good, Burke got the plaudits for marking Quigley, but i thought Ricky Johnston & Delargy both did equally as well.

The minors did well in the 2nd half when the cut out the stupid mistakes, of which cost us 2-1 in the 1st half. We were winning ball at midfield & then decided to change it, which confused everyone around me, Fermanagh supporters too.

The St Galls player on the minor panel is a blow in from St Patrick's Lisburn at that!
He is not alone on the panel as there are 3 in total who have switched clubs that i know of.
Seems to be rife at the moment in the Aldergrove/Glenavy area moving to West Belfast clubs.

If true what is the motivation??

country bumpkin

Quote from: mb80b60 on June 01, 2015, 07:01:22 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on June 01, 2015, 01:29:12 PM
Another championship defeat and those who hammer their keyboards can have no hope in their hearts........we are languishing at the bottom of the heap and even the most ardent optimist within the ranks of the long suffering followers of the Saffron would struggle to look forward.
Kevin Madden was spot on in the Irish News.
We are a county who constantly field without our best players, have no training facilities or structured development planning and are led by a county board which looks on the polishing of egos as their main concern.
As to the future..........well consider who is the front runner for the chairman's post!
Jeez we were beaten by Fermanagh..........I am quite sure Cargin would give them a run for it and St Gall's would most likely beat them.

You can't be serious?
Serious indeed and hanging my head in shame.......Sorry but Fermanagh were,and I think are a poor side indeed.......Antrim were hanging in there untul a few minutes from the end......a man down..........and forced into action without the likes of Niblock, Sean Kelly, Bam Neeson, Aodhan Gallagher, Sean Burke, Kobo O' Boyle, the Mc Canns (Mick, Tomas, and Paul) M Magill etc..........

mb80b60

Quote from: country bumpkin on June 03, 2015, 04:07:16 PM
Quote from: mb80b60 on June 01, 2015, 07:01:22 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on June 01, 2015, 01:29:12 PM
Another championship defeat and those who hammer their keyboards can have no hope in their hearts........we are languishing at the bottom of the heap and even the most ardent optimist within the ranks of the long suffering followers of the Saffron would struggle to look forward.
Kevin Madden was spot on in the Irish News.
We are a county who constantly field without our best players, have no training facilities or structured development planning and are led by a county board which looks on the polishing of egos as their main concern.
As to the future..........well consider who is the front runner for the chairman's post!
Jeez we were beaten by Fermanagh..........I am quite sure Cargin would give them a run for it and St Gall's would most likely beat them.

You can't be serious?
Serious indeed and hanging my head in shame.......Sorry but Fermanagh were,and I think are a poor side indeed.......Antrim were hanging in there untul a few minutes from the end......a man down..........and forced into action without the likes of Niblock, Sean Kelly, Bam Neeson, Aodhan Gallagher, Sean Burke, Kobo O' Boyle, the Mc Canns (Mick, Tomas, and Paul) M Magill etc..........

I've watched Cargin recently and they wouldn't get within 15 points of Fermanagh.  They scored 7 points (if I remember correctly) against Lamh Dearg at the game I attended and they were poor.  I don't think St Galls would have any forward other than Niblock who would start for Fermanagh.

I've no doubt that St Gall's and Cargin are good club teams with plenty of good players, but it's nonsense to suggest they would beat a well drilled county team who have been promoted to Division 2.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: culchie11 on June 03, 2015, 03:58:01 PM

Think the lad had always hurled for St Galls so not a blow in of sorts.

outinfront

Some serious disrespect being shown to Fermanagh by a few on here.  They are not a poor team by any means, they just didnt play to their best.  They have really developed and have some good players who have earned the right to be playing Division 2 next year.  Whether or not they struggle remains to be seen but I'm sure they would rather be struggling/competing in Div2 than struggling in Div4! 

Antrim will not compete until they have their best players playing (together), sort out the whole setup and also improve the standard of club football.

I am a Down supporter and believe we too have a lot to do to catch up on others. I just felt some comments regarding fermanagh were harsh.

otbar

I agree with outinfront - fermanagh are in division 2 by merit and antrim have to shake off the ego that is attached.  We have been unsuccessful since 2009 outside of beating a weak galway side in the qualifiers.  Fermanagh have limited clubs to pick from and their progress has to be admired.  in 2010 we ran an up and coming monaghan team close but now they are miles ahead - you could also throw cavan into that statement.

Players available or not this will always be the case, one mans team is different from the next so the perfect team will never be there as is the case for EVERY county in Ireland.
With the correct structure in place and pride in actually wanted to play for the county to win as opposed to the status of it we will start to move up the ranks but until we sweep the floor clean and show ambition with a seasoned manager, use of good facilities and a mentality of trying to win rather than be defensive as this suits the donegals,tyrones of this world but not an antrim,fermanagh, cavan size of team - create our own identity.

I was down at the game and felt minors showed wonderful potential, young burke in the seniors was a massive plus, mc veigh was a loss but deserved the red card (although i dont think it was intent but a reaction just).  Cj hit a few frees but feel at that level physically he offers nothing and contributes more to himself than others.  His brother Kieran on the other hand is the opposite and is a team player with a fantastic football brain.  Pollock had an off day but is effective when confidence is up and young murray also a fine asset.

I just hope the open door policy is still not in place as it gives the manager an out and not fair on the current crop of players.  Whatever the draw i feel we need to look beyond trying to stop a team and go out and put our best foot forward - longford done this and got distroyed by dublin but I have to admire the managers morals on how he wants that team to move forward.

manballandall

Watched the 'two best teams in antrim' last night and albeit both teams were missing a few it was a terrible standard . For me niblock was the only one who looked county standard

bannside

Niblock currently far and away the best player in the county right now. He was awesome against us last week and if anything his year out from county football has left him fresher. He is in better shape than ever too.

I'm picking up that he won't be back near the county due to a dispute with county Treasurer to do with something of a financial matter. Could be physio bills or something , I'm not too sure.

Now if this is true it is an absolute disgrace. In any other county a resolution would be found,  but our know all (know nothing) totally inept board wouldn't have the capacity to resolve a minor issue like this. In other counties this would have been sorted as a priority long ago....but our board don't do resolution. It's their way or nothing.

bannside

Rossa not a team to be underestimated by anyone. They sent us packing last night and they were missing half a dozen starters too. Good footballing side with plenty of pace and no shortage of flair too. Underestimate them at your peril.

getevennotcross

Quote from: outinfront on June 03, 2015, 06:48:07 PM
Some serious disrespect being shown to Fermanagh by a few on here.  They are not a poor team by any means, they just didnt play to their best.  They have really developed and have some good players who have earned the right to be playing Division 2 next year.  Whether or not they struggle remains to be seen but I'm sure they would rather be struggling/competing in Div2 than struggling in Div4! 

Antrim will not compete until they have their best players playing (together), sort out the whole setup and also improve the standard of club football.

I am a Down supporter and believe we too have a lot to do to catch up on others. I just felt some comments regarding fermanagh were harsh.
Inflammatory and negative comments are a pre-requisite trait for all Antrim people, its the persecution complex we all suffer from.  You 100% right though, we have no rite at all criticising any team such as Fermanagh whilst we languish in Div. 4.   One thing is for sure also, we are not likely to get out of Division 4 any time soon!  Putting it mildly, whilst big Frank is a good guy a good servant to the county, I don't see he would have the appropriate credentials to bring about any great level of success, he probably proved to be the cheaper option?  We in Antrim are starved of success, we have not even tasted success, so we don't really know what to aspire to.  Regrettably, a dire state of affairs for the Saffron's.  But hey, come the revolution!

By the way, its my birthday tomorrow, 5/6/74, go on wish me Happy Birthday.  Will be celebrating it stateside with family and friends.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 04, 2015, 04:50:17 PM
Good win and performance for us last night alright. A bit of consistency now would be nice. Mickey Armstrong returned for us last night and made a big difference. Hope to get a few more back soon.

Who have Rossa got in the championship?