Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Clubs are too subservient in the GAA in my opinion. If you see revenue generation as secondary to the playing of our games by as many people as possible on a regular basis, when you step back and look at how our games are arranged, its crazy
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

bannside

Good to see plans for Dunsilly are back on track. I have been to four matches and so far Cargin are standout.  They are a different animal this year. In my book they were about 15/20% off St Galls last year - but will have found that improvement and more by c'ship time. They simply blew us away last night and did the same to Creggan on Sunday.

bannside

Lamh Dhearg also look to have kicked on from last year and play a good brand too. Can't be discounted.  They are clearly now in the top three with a bit of a gap to the others. In Ryan Murray they have the best corner forward in the county by some distance.

Michael Magill still my idea of the best full forward in the county and that hasn't changed after seeing him close up last night. Having said that Mick Mc Cann was at his brilliant best as well. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on April 30, 2015, 10:30:58 AM
Good to see plans for Dunsilly are back on track. I have been to four matches and so far Cargin are standout.  They are a different animal this year. In my book they were about 15/20% off St Galls last year - but will have found that improvement and more by c'ship time. They simply blew us away last night and did the same to Creggan on Sunday.

Different brand of football?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mb80b60

I was at the Cargin v Lamh dearg game a couple of Sundays ago and I was disappointed with Cargin.  They won the game at midfield but Lamh Dearg dropped a couple of men back and Cargin seemed clueless as to how to break through.  Cunningham easily won his tussle with KOBO too.

Have they improved a lot in the last couple of weeks?

bannside

Firstly Kobo is now where near fit after being out for quite a few months. But in fairness Paddy Cunningham had a great game against us too.

I'm only going on what I saw in the four games we have had to date. Obviously that could change when we play St Galls who are, and have been the benchmark.

The standout team that I have seen to date has been Cargin. We have played them, Creggan Lamh Dhearg and St John's. Of course championships are not won in April, we all know that. But make no mistake Cargin are a much more serious proposition this year.

mb80b60

Quote from: bannside on April 30, 2015, 05:12:48 PM
Firstly Kobo is now where near fit after being out for quite a few months. But in fairness Paddy Cunningham had a great game against us too.

I'm only going on what I saw in the four games we have had to date. Obviously that could change when we play St Galls who are, and have been the benchmark.

The standout team that I have seen to date has been Cargin. We have played them, Creggan Lamh Dhearg and St John's. Of course championships are not won in April, we all know that. But make no mistake Cargin are a much more serious proposition this year.

Cheers Bannside.  I have no affinity to any Antrim club and I only went to the Cargin v LD game as it was at the Dub.  Cargin obviously have improved as they were disappointing versus LD.  As you say it's hard to read teams this early in the league and it will probably have no bearing on the championship, but I was expecting more from Cargin.

country bumpkin

Quote from: mb80b60 on April 30, 2015, 01:35:38 PM

I was at the Cargin v Lamh dearg game a couple of Sundays ago and I was disappointed with Cargin.  They won the game at midfield but Lamh Dearg dropped a couple of men back and Cargin seemed clueless as to how to break through.  Cunningham easily won his tussle with KOBO too.

Have they improved a lot in the last couple of weeks?]was not at that game but all reports from the travelling cargin folk was that they did not fire and the suggestion is that the 'man in the middle' was horrendous..........perhaps he remains imprisoned in 2000 mode. :P

mb80b60

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 01, 2015, 11:52:38 AM
Quote from: mb80b60 on April 30, 2015, 01:35:38 PM

Have they improved a lot in the last couple of weeks?]was not at that game but all reports from the travelling cargin folk was that they did not fire and the suggestion is that the 'man in the middle' was horrendous..........perhaps he remains imprisoned in 2000 mode. :P

The man in the middle was not good... but as a neutral he didn't seem to favour either side.  Cunningham received a box to the side of the head and the referee only produced a yellow for the Cargin defender.  Earlier in the game the big LD midfielder very harshly received a black card for what looked like an honest attempt to win the ball.  Obviously there were strange decisions against Cargin too, but I don't think it was the reason LD won.

Any idea who the Cargin CHB would have been that day?  Strong runner with the ball and a nice passer.

country bumpkin

chb was most likely Justin Crozier............

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on May 01, 2015, 01:16:22 PM
chb was most likely Justin Crozier............

So it was the referee? lol   right that is him banished to the sidelines if Cargin get to play us ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Not the ref MR.............Cargin always have difficulty at LD.................sure Mr Coyle luvs Cargin anyways..............Of course we will get to meet up with the Gall's, sure u will be in Toome in a few weeks time............and we have a date in the championship later on. ;)

bannside

MR what's the story with Aidso and Sean Burke this year. Are they both available for championship?  Whilst Aidso has been a colossus for you over the years (big on leadership qualities too) the word is Burke has kinda taken over the mantle as main man in midfield. What's your opinion. For if Burke is rated that highly he is some loss to the county!

bannside

Heading up to An Lub on Sunday for the opening of their new pitch. Managed them in 2006 and what a class club and group of lads. 

Derry versus Antrim in a challenge game followed by a few pints in the social club. Bagatelle providing the entertainment.  Hopefully a Antrim will be competitive.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on May 01, 2015, 10:44:09 PM
MR what's the story with Aidso and Sean Burke this year. Are they both available for championship?  Whilst Aidso has been a colossus for you over the years (big on leadership qualities too) the word is Burke has kinda taken over the mantle as main man in midfield. What's your opinion. For if Burke is rated that highly he is some loss to the county!

Burkey down under or somewhere like that... We will miss aidso to ad for me he dominated MMcC in all those championship games... Massive loss... But we've eventually unearthed some good players... Young burkey has matured rightly and is a huge talent, both hurling and football, great kid too.... Look we've plenty of senior heads to bring these boys on but will be tough for us...  Don't think that we can view winning one game as being a pathway to Ulster... LD possibly may put in a challenge... Either or they are well focused no doubt on creating more Antrim history