Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

50+ years of biased referees. Them city boys...

Why stop at 50 years for your conspiracy theories - sure you could count on one hand how many south west clubs have won it!!

The pick that country clubs have is a lot less than city ones have and with jobs etc migration a larger factor MR and you can win a c'ship without beating Cargin. If clubs aren't winning c'ships it doesn't mean they aren't putting in the effort!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2013, 03:44:19 PM
50+ years of biased referees. Them city boys...

Why stop at 50 years for your conspiracy theories - sure you could count on one hand how many south west clubs have won it!!

The pick that country clubs have is a lot less than city ones have and with jobs etc migration a larger factor MR and you can win a c'ship without beating Cargin. If clubs aren't winning c'ships it doesn't mean they aren't putting in the effort!!

Not basing my post at you tommy, was wondering what bumkin is waffling about, is he bumming up Cargin as the sole warriors of the SW or is he saying that it's because of those city boys being better footballers, I don't know, he talks in riddles........ que a post with no response followed by another post with words in it ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yep - fair enough!

Cargin should have won more to be honest but it's themselves they've had to blame and they are the "superpower" of the south west so you would expect them to be the team in contention.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 27, 2013, 03:59:51 PM
Yep - fair enough!

Cargin should have won more to be honest but it's themselves they've had to blame and they are the "superpower" of the south west so you would expect them to be the team in contention.

FFS Dunloy have won more than them lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2013, 04:04:41 PM
Yep - fair enough!

They may have milltown but u seem to ignore the question.or perhaps u have no answer..............and actually the few cargin did win were with home grown players................none from Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, Derry, Mc Dermott's,St Enda's etc, etc, etc...........

imtommygunn

Simple answer - they haven't been good enough...

what do you think the answer is??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 27, 2013, 04:29:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2013, 04:04:41 PM
Yep - fair enough!

They may have milltown but u seem to ignore the question.or perhaps u have no answer..............and actually the few cargin did win were with home grown players................none from Fermanagh, Tyrone, Armagh, Derry, Mc Dermott's,St Enda's etc, etc, etc...........

Hit quote then scroll down past the quote marks then post something............

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 27, 2013, 03:35:59 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2013, 12:56:08 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on November 27, 2013, 12:20:39 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2013, 12:02:52 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on November 27, 2013, 10:46:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2013, 10:11:07 AM
Quote from: country bumpkin on November 27, 2013, 10:00:50 AM
Quote from: manballandall on November 26, 2013, 09:07:47 PM
Am I missing something here. First he was biased against lambs and did them injustice in U21 semi and now we are told he was on their side in the match against cargin ? Seriously lads listen to yourselves.   No doubt he has made mistakes as has every referee apart from MR. But they are human and the same way we don't like to see players being blamed for losing matches cos they missed easy chances we find it oh so easy to blame a referee .  I think if you were ask actual players who play they rarely blame a referee , well certainly not solely blame them . It's mainly supporters ho have the issues and again because its easier to blame a referee than point the fingers at the inabilities of their own club players.
Think you are indeed missing quite a lot  mbaa, the ref in question is without doubt a poor referee or he is unashamedly biased when he officiates at Cargin games..........one or the other...........and if indeed he is considering retirement then nobody in Toome will shed a single tear

But why would he be? Is it just at Cargin games? Which referees would you prefer? one with same initials maybe?

Jaysus Lads

If I wasnt depressed enough lately with the state of our games in Antrim and further afield reading through the last number of pages makes me feel even worse.

Take a step back for one minute from you own vested interests and have a look at the childish petty points that are being made about different clubs and refs on here. This club doesnt like this one, this ref is biased against the other. Hold on a second lads is this the type of county we want to be, is this how the future is going to be? Are we ever going to step up, put our heads above the parapet and say enough is enough.

Instead of wasting on time on these squabbles we should be trying to develop our clubs and our county driving them forward and increasing the standard in general. Everyone take personal responsibility for their own behaviour, then once you have done that take responsibility for the behaviour of the young people in your charge. Instil the proper beliefs in them, show them how to play the games like young men with skill and bravery to the best of their ability. If they win, win with grace, if they lose lose with grace. Dont forget these young people only react to the behaviour of the adults that they see and are around, so if the adults act like fools what do we expect?

Fed up of this point scoring between clubs while we get further and further behind the standard of football all around us and hurling further south. IMO the standard of club hurling and football has dropped significantly and to me that is a bigger challenge to us Antrim people. This continuous cycle of recrimination after every single competition only serves to hold us back from what should be a common goal.

Sorry Rant Over!

NAG1 I agree, yourself included have had a wee dig at certain clubs and vice versa. Some people on here have agenda with certain referees and have opened up accounts for this purpose. I'm just quering the logic of some of the posters in their posts regarding a clubman and a fellow referee, similar to how you'd react if attention thrown at your club.

Very few positive posts lately

Yeah I know I have and it is easy to react when it is close to home, my point is that we are all inclined to the negative and this last few pages have shown this quite clearly. But this is not how I want the organisation to go forward and in fact if we persist with this type of behaviour we will turn our kids off from coming into and staying in our clubs and wanting to play for our county teams.

Fed up of the negativity really I guess

Ok 100% agree, will bite my tonuge ;)  and put up some positive stuff, looking forward to hurling with the reserves (kids) next year would like another few games before I hang up the boots from playing
Aye right lads we can go forward in positivity but can any of you who have insight into the affairs of the Saffron please explain why no country/south west club other than Cargin have won the senior football championship in over half a century.................

Country teams havent performed on the big day. I played in the 80s/90s when Cargin were again the stand out sw team. They had many chances to win the SC but lacked the craft and discipline to get past average Rossa and St Pauls sides. Glenravel werent far away at this time either and always performed well at championship time but just hadnt enough quality all over the pitch to really count. Dunloy always hard to beat in the championship and i firmly believe  if they had concentrated on football rather than hurling they could have won a few championships around this time. We were sunflowers come championship time and usually only enjoyed one day a year in Senior competition, just weren't good enough.

bannside

Looking back at it (particularly the eighties and nineties) lots of SW teams were all three or four players short of a full hand. Cargin the exception - they had the panels but an attitude that was more about the macho stuff. Self imploded a few times. They had  few macho managers too which didnt help! JC changed that and his reward was to get shafted.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on November 27, 2013, 06:54:05 PM
Looking back at it (particularly the eighties and nineties) lots of SW teams were all three or four players short of a full hand. Cargin the exception - they had the panels but an attitude that was more about the macho stuff. Self imploded a few times. They had  few macho managers too which didnt help! JC changed that and his reward was to get shafted.

True, was one of the strangest calls, we were certainly happy when he wasn't looking after them.

jftj

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 26, 2013, 10:36:09 AM
The overall standard when st pauls were on top was higher and they were a very good team too. Not near as good as st galls but john mcmanus could win them games, joe kennedy wasn't bad either, finnegans etc etc made them a very solid team.

I think a big thing for st galls was how their players were developed by the sigerson and universities too. Look how many of their team made sigerson teams who were good sigerson teams. It was rare you had many, if any, players making sigerson teams an dthey'd about half a team.

Yes they were maybe lucky with circumstance that their first came earlier than it maybe normally would have but they'd have started winning at some point.
aiden donnelly,charlie mcstravick and Paul mcerlean weren't bad either.pauls had a very good side at the time(gold talkin bollix as usual)and don't argue with me cause there is no argument.

Gold

How did celebrations go Bannside?!

Jfjt you are such a child. Yeah they were good players. Aidan great with ball in hand and their best player. But were a simply good (not great) solid unit as i said before without any great invention or players with a sense of adventure up front.

You cannot tell me they compare to galls and their 12 antrims, 5 kilmacuds, 1 all ireland??
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

jftj

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2013, 08:24:42 PM

True, was one of the strangest calls, we were certainly happy when he wasn't looking after them.
always thought jc would have been a great assistant to any Antrim manager as if you talk to the man he knows every player from every club in Antrim .He would definitely be the man for spotting up and coming talent particularly from the smaller clubs!

jftj

Quote from: Gold on November 27, 2013, 08:53:45 PM

Jfjt you are such a child. Yeah they were good players. Aidan great with ball in hand and their best player. But were a simply good (not great) solid unit as i said before without any great invention or players with a sense of adventure up front.

You cannot tell me they compare to galls and their 12 antrims, 5 kilmacuds, 1 all ireland??
is that your "phrase of the day"great invention with sense of adventure"by the way I think that phrase would suit joe Kennedy down to a tee.I also rated aiden Donnelly very highly.st Paul's had 6 or 7 players who would match up to st galls easily but then again cargin have that also.st galls main weapon is their strength in depth .15v15 you'd have to fancy galls.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on November 27, 2013, 08:53:45 PM

Yeah I'm actually trying to think of the decent forwards they had with that team. Either or they won 3 contested a few and I doubt very much they will ever get back to competing again.

The Johnnies will eventually get back the SW clubs will come again and of course Cargin won't throw in the towel and we'll go away for a bit but defo come back, some great kids coming through and the thing is their da's were/are great players for the club too so they won't be lacking mentors. Not sure if Rossa will ever sit at top table again, they should have won minor this year but collapsed against the Johnnies (thought Rossa were the better team) an opposite to us they stick to the other code