Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: stibhan on December 11, 2012, 01:47:18 PM
Quote from: Buswhacker on December 11, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
We'll see how good he is.Bet you he won't even make the Cork panel.Heard all these stories before about players  "who could grace any team in Ireland" but when they move they never are heard from again .

Would you catch a decent amount of Cork football in Loughgiel?

Judging by Castlehaven and Duhallow he's better than most!!

Buswhacker

Stibhan......Loughgiel or not,I have watched Cork,Kerry and all the big ones. Not many players have changed county and been a success.Padden from Mayo to Armagh,Johnson from Cavan to Kildare are two examples.I'll admit Loughrey's a good player,but I'd say Cork have plenty of players just as good.

stibhan

imtommygunn

Johnston has been there one year and Padden wasn't a great Mayo player never mind making it somewhere else. Shay Fahy and Larry Tompkins spring to mind.

Is he moving for work? I would hardly think he's moving to Cork purely for football.

Big loss to the county but absolutely massive loss to St Brigids.

Wild Guess

Moving to shack up with the missus out of wedlock in the rebel city. I'd say the club will be fine, just dip back into the transfer market. County on the other hand... :'(

Buswhacker

stibhan........" all the big ones " does not include Antrim,we're more in the minnow level. So read away.

SambaSaffron

Quote from: Gold on December 11, 2012, 12:24:07 PM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on December 11, 2012, 11:16:21 AM
James Loughery has declared himself unavailable for Antrim next year, moving to Cork, huge blow.

Massive blow for county and his club.

Been decades since we've had a player good enough to start every game for Ulster. Only 25 too, with his best, peak years just about to kick in.

Cork wont be long using him.
He's 27.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on December 11, 2012, 10:34:16 PM
He's 26.

Who cares FFS? Fair play to the lad, good footballer and will be an asset to any club team in Cork.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Glensman

Quote from: Buswhacker on December 11, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
We'll see how good he is.Bet you he won't even make the Cork panel.Heard all these stories before about players  "who could grace any team in Ireland" but when they move they never are heard from again .

If so certain what odds would you give? If he is playing club football and is committing he will be in Cork panel.

He is a cut above the rest in Antrim at minute. If it was "one of the big ones" earth would be moved to get him and the missis jobs in Belfast.

This is a big blow for Antrim.

imtommygunn

There's no more quality in him than there is in MIchael McCann Glensman. Both top quality players.

Cork HB line is O'Leary, Canty and Kissane isn't it? I've never overly rated Kissane and don't see any reason why he wouldn't be any better than O'Leary either.

Glensman

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 12, 2012, 09:16:42 AM
There's no more quality in him than there is in MIchael McCann Glensman. Both top quality players.

Cork HB line is O'Leary, Canty and Kissane isn't it? I've never overly rated Kissane and don't see any reason why he wouldn't be any better than O'Leary either.

Agree that both are top notch.

I look at life in a simple enough way. If Loughrey marked McCann he would nullify him. If McCann marked Loughrey he couldn't. Appreciate McCann's (a) high catching and (b) shooting would slight be above Loughrey's but would counter that with:
(a) high catching (Loughrey does not really get involved in this in midfield as much but has good hands); and
(b) shooting (Loughrey (even from half back when playing there) gets himself in more shooting positions and has more chances than McCann.
Would be interested to see what both have scored over the last 4/5 years.

Anyway, one thing is for sure we need the both of them and hopefully there are a few twists and turns to this and somehow Loughrey will wearing Saffron next year.

stibhan

I can see a whole lot more people moving to other counties after they released that minging top.

imtommygunn

My view Glensman would be Loughrey is a superb athlete and a good footballer. McCann would be a better footballer ability wise but wouldn't be the same level of athlete. Kick passing and catching would be much superior though. They're just different kinds of footballer who are hard to compare.

Not good about Loughrey but c'est la vie. Maybe if Kelly chose to play that'd help. Dunno if he's decided or not.

culchie11

New Antrim top - dont really care what it looks like, more interested in how players wearing it represent county!

https://twitter.com/ClubAontroma

Rasharkin Gael

Talking with a few lads on the County Senior panel, all very positive about new management, training going very well and the new S&C coach is a bit hit.