Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 11:15:22 PM
That's the top of the table and does not have tonight's result in. If you look at the bottom of the games to play part you'll see we 'still have to play Ahoghill'

It will be a draw. Bet your house on it  ;)

Glensman

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on October 05, 2011, 11:13:33 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 05, 2011, 11:00:51 PM
Quote from: Gold on October 05, 2011, 10:48:11 PM
International Rules Panel

Again no Antrim men--to my mind none have even ever went to a Trial for same --am i right?

Anyone know of anyone who's ever been asked to a trial?

Are we the only county in Ireland never to have a representative?

Who do people feel would merit inclusion?

The only one I think you could consider would be James Loughrey. I'm not sure the game would suit him though.

Of anyone else maybe Michael McCann?

Forwards in that game would need to be fit to make marks and I don't think we've many boys who fit that bill.

Loughrey would be well suited IMO. McCann would be good for the fighting bits  ;D

Loughrey is made for this game. Breaking/avoiding tackles, good handling etc. A absolute crying shame if he has never been approached.

Pretty poor effort at trawling the so called weaker counties.

Look at the success Leighton Glynn has been in these games.

4father

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 10:01:26 PM
It is a pity they didn't win the All Ireland, and if you had have seen the game you'd have realised we were hammered by a great team from Kilkenny. Would be foolish to say it had a bearing on their self belief as they bounced back with beating Dunloy two years later.

I'm still sick that the lads didn't beat Cushendall and reach the clubs first ever senior county final. Great bunch of lads who deserve that crack at a senior hurling final.

Burkey's dad is a Mitchells man and Burkey as i have said played under 12 right through with St Galls, Terry's dad is a McDermotts again he also played from under 12.

This is silly altogether, we could name the Graham's from Cushendun who went to Rossa the new players at O'Dees St Johns were famous for it Sarsfields do it there's not a club that hasn't done it. Thing is we are winning Ulster titles and an All Ireland. So you'll get the few jealous people coming on sniping and having a snide remark about it, means nothing

Don't mean to harp back on this.  (I havent been on in a wee while).  If you had have read my post properly and not jumped on the defensive, i wrote that this wouldn't have stopped them winning or something to that tune.  My point is that their dominance has been 'solidified' by these great players joining your club.  Let's face it they weren't just a few mickey mouse transfers!!  St Galls would win the championships without them I have no doubt but the word 'solidified' was my point and it certainly wasn't a snide remark if that was aimed at me amigo!

Pat Mustard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2011, 10:05:57 PM
Quote from: bhoy1888 on October 05, 2011, 09:57:45 PM
just after wittnesing the fix of the year i wonder how much aghogill paid st galls tonight to prevent them being sent into div 2 and for st galls to score 1 point in the second half tells its own story.it hasnt been the first time that they got a favour and prob wont be the last hold your heads down in shame

I take it your club didn't do enough throughout the year to stay safe?
That makes it ok for a club to play weak teams? (I don't know what team St Galls had out)

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2011, 10:01:37 PM
Pants, if none of those players (good lads that they are) played for St Galls we would still have won as  many as titles. If you have  any knowledge of local teams or St Galls then you'd know that that.

that team won 5/6 minor titles plus 6 odd under 21 titles together, long before other players came along.

That's an awful lot of capable players. But this year your 2nds were relegated from Div3 and the 3rds ended up bottom of the bottom (Div6). Both teams only managed 2 wins over the year each. If memory serves, the 2nds were lucky to survive in Div3 last year and the 3rds got relegated from Div5 (and from Div4 the year before that)? Doesn't say much for strength and depth (beyond the 1st squad). Doesn't bode well for the future when the current crop of 1sts get tired/worn out!

Milltown Row2

Yeah we will surely be burnt out, that's what happens to a lot of clubs, impossible to keep going and then you go back to rebuilding.

We have had 3 teams for a lot of years and tried real hard to encourage the players that get lost from minor to under 21 to continue to play at senior (at some level)

Don't think we will be entering a third team next year as we have struggled lately. Can't knock us for trying to encourage lads to play football FFS
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

PeteG

Was up at the Ahoghill game, dont think Galls necessarily fielded a weak team.  Think the outcome was a result of a couple of players injured, bad weather and the fact that Ahoghill just weren't gonna give up.  Dont think either team even scored in the second half until about 20 minutes into it but not for lack of trying. 

OverThePostsAWide

Didin't mean to knock your club MR, if that's what it sounded like. They have, and continue to do, sterling work and no doubt the recent emergence of the hurlers as a serious force has diluted the football side of things as well. Cargin aren't fairing much better (even with no hurling). But it wasn't very long ago that St Gall's and Cargin's 2nd and 3rd strings were beating all round them (along with their 1sts). Definite change. Time will tell whether it just a normalisation or a slide...

DearyMe

Ronan Gall, Anto Healy, Brady, Paul Verinica, Sean Kelly, Mark Kelly, Sean Burke, Darren O Hare, K McGourty. CJ McGourty, Rory Gall, Aidso Gallagher - doesnt sound weak to me - few injuries alright! Plus Niblock and Pollock in England! :'(

Get the job done early next time!!!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

exiledjohn

Quote from: gallsman on October 05, 2011, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 05, 2011, 10:00:37 PM
Simon McCrory joined St. Johns from St. Endas (as a star) at u16. He was a steal.

Did he move for the hurling? Simon was the same age group as me - Enda's offered nothing for a hurler (which is obviously Simon's preference) and offered nothing for a footballer until about U16 when suddenly they were one of the only teams who could get near us when they had a few county players - Niall Devine, Gerard...Crossey?

Simon is from a family of St Johns so the movement is hardly of surprise. 

culchie11

Why all of a sudden all this talk about teams transferring in players from other clubs?
if you went through every club in div1 football for instance there wouldnt be one team who had at least one player in their squad who is a blow-in!
and its not only happening at senior level, the great lamh dhearg minor team from last year, was a belfast select lol
it happens so put up with it! and it happens as much in south west as does in south antrim!
gerard o'boyle(creggan/cargin), ryan boyd (randalstown/moneyglass), aidy scullion (ahoghill/rasharkin), mark mcnicholl (randalstown/creggan), phelim mccloskey (randalstown/ portglenone), paddy logan (ahoghill/ballymena).........
need i go on! portglenone even get players from bellaghy reserves!

as for moneyglass getting relegated, its over a season you get relegated not one match in which you aint involved! some clubs should clean up their own backyard before looking at others!

good luck to st galls and all antrim teams involved in ulster!

Pat Mustard

Quote from: culchie11 on October 06, 2011, 03:28:40 PM
Why all of a sudden all this talk about teams transferring in players from other clubs?
if you went through every club in div1 football for instance there wouldnt be one team who had at least one player in their squad who is a blow-in!
and its not only happening at senior level, the great lamh dhearg minor team from last year, was a belfast select lol
it happens so put up with it! and it happens as much in south west as does in south antrim!
gerard o'boyle(creggan/cargin), ryan boyd (randalstown/moneyglass), aidy scullion (ahoghill/rasharkin), mark mcnicholl (randalstown/creggan), phelim mccloskey (randalstown/ portglenone), paddy logan (ahoghill/ballymena).........
need i go on! portglenone even get players from bellaghy reserves!

as for moneyglass getting relegated, its over a season you get relegated not one match in which you aint involved! some clubs should clean up their own backyard before looking at others!

good luck to st galls and all antrim teams involved in ulster!
So its ok for Rasharkin to put out a team which conceded 6-19 to Ahoghill? If I was from Moneyglass I wouldn't be happy. Although theres no rule against it, it's against the spirit of the game.

culchie11

it is also in the spirit of the game to not do what most teams do, in that if a player gets rightly sent off for a sending off offence that their club appeals it?!?! and they no doubt get off on a technocality! or that a team plays an illegal player and serve no punishment!

also if someone in a senior team books their wedding 1 or 2 years in advance do they know that it will affect another club staying in a certain division, away and feel your head pat! it could so easily affect their own club!

and if your not from moneyglass why worry, what goes round come round!

Gold

Anyone know when and where O'Ds Ulster Junior  game is?

I may go for the craic
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

aontroim

Sunday 30th Oct 2011

Ulster Club Junior Football Championship 2011    Quarter Final
Morgan Athletic Grounds - Ard Mhacha v Aontroim

Must be before the St. Gall's game.

Any advance on 3 O'Ds being sent off this year  :D