Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 15, 2019, 06:34:19 PM
Rochford becoming Galway manager next year and straightening those players out after dumping Mayo out of the Super 8s with Donegal this year would be a bitter pill for Mayo to swallow.

It won't!

Duine Eile

Quote from: thebackbar1 on July 15, 2019, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on July 15, 2019, 11:18:30 AM
Galway are way behind what is required at this level. As I said, it's not down solely to management but players as well. Surgery required.

I would go a lot further than that, a thorough review of Galway GAA is needed, with the outcome being a proper strategic plan aka The Blue wave.

Ask your clubs county board delegate to give you a run down on what has happened at county board level for the past twelve months up to and including the last meeting and you will see as a county we're a joke.

There has been a lot of talk about Kevin adopting the Corofin game plan, but very few people are saying all the clubs in Galway should be adopting the Corofin approach at underage, we're fixated with short term solutions.

In contrast Mayo aren't perfect, but they have appointed a commercial officer of late and made a considerable amount of money from their trip to NYC.

If Kevin stays on another year I hope he at least changes things up in the back room staff a bit starting with a new coach, we seriously missed Paddy Tally this year. Can't help feeling it'll be another lost year though  :-\ A lot of talk about Kevin adopting the 'Corofin approach,' not that easy! Those Corofin lads have that bred into them from the first day they walk in the gate at underage, can't expect a team to just decide to start playing like that. As AFA said, the style Kevin uses doesn't bother me too much when it's effective, but when you get what we got this year it's obviously not working.

moysider

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 15, 2019, 10:50:34 PM
Galway are way behind what is required at this level. As I said, it's not down solely to management but players as well. Surgery required.

I would go a lot further than that, a thorough review of Galway GAA is needed, with the outcome being a proper strategic plan aka The Blue wave.

Ask your clubs county board delegate to give you a run down on what has happened at county board level for the past twelve months up to and including the last meeting and you will see as a county we're a joke.

There has been a lot of talk about Kevin adopting the Corofin game plan, but very few people are saying all the clubs in Galway should be adopting the Corofin approach at underage, we're fixated with short term solutions.

In contrast Mayo aren't perfect, but they have appointed a commercial officer of late and made a considerable amount of money from their trip to NYC.

If Kevin stays on another year I hope he at least changes things up in the back room staff a bit starting with a new coach, we seriously missed Paddy Tally this year. Can't help feeling it'll be another lost year though  :-\ A lot of talk about Kevin adopting the 'Corofin approach,' not that easy! Those Corofin lads have that bred into them from the first day they walk in the gate at underage, can't expect a team to just decide to start playing like that. As AFA said, the style Kevin uses doesn't bother me too much when it's effective, but when you get what we got this year it's obviously not working.

A Kevin Walsh team would not be humiliated like Mayo was in Killarney. Walsh is practical and that is important. As I said earlier, I would love if Walsh was replaced by some romantic.

Forget about the 'Corofin  approach' and amazed people buy into that tbh.

Walsh won't anyway and he would be a fool to do so.
Used to be the same stuff about Armagh and Crossmaglen and their kick passing that Joe Brolly used to go on about.
Club football compared to Super8s is like comparing League of Ireland to 1/4 finals of the Champions League.
Different sport for all intents and purposes.

galwayman

Best of luck playing like Corofin do at county level.
Club and county = chalk and cheese.
Was interested to listen to an interview on the radio with Gary Sice I think two days after their club win this year, where he said exactly that - I.e. county is a whole other ball game.
And that's a man that would know what he's talking about having walked the walk.

Maroon Manc

I see Mark Gottsche is the new finance operations manager. He'll be responsible for commercial partnerships too.

https://www.tuamherald.ie/sport/roundup/articles/2019/07/17/4177017-galway-gaa-appoint-financeoperations-manager/

mouview

Quote from: moysider on July 16, 2019, 12:17:47 AM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 15, 2019, 10:50:34 PM

A Kevin Walsh team would not be humiliated like Mayo was in Killarney. Walsh is practical and that is important. As I said earlier, I would love if Walsh was replaced by some romantic.

Forget about the 'Corofin  approach' and amazed people buy into that tbh.

Walsh won't anyway and he would be a fool to do so.
Used to be the same stuff about Armagh and Crossmaglen and their kick passing that Joe Brolly used to go on about.
Club football compared to Super8s is like comparing League of Ireland to 1/4 finals of the Champions League.
Different sport for all intents and purposes.

All of KW's season-ending defeats (bar Mayo probably) were by good margins, the Tipperary one was a real humiliation. We'd have got hockeyed last Sunday.

thebackbar1

The word going around now is that Kevin Walsh is staying on but with a new backroom team as the current selectors aren't coming back.

The only hope is that he won't be able to source new selectors, or more unlikely that the board doesn't accept his new selectors.

Gael85

Quote from: thebackbar1 on August 13, 2019, 12:00:52 PM
The word going around now is that Kevin Walsh is staying on but with a new backroom team as the current selectors aren't coming back.

The only hope is that he won't be able to source new selectors, or more unlikely that the board doesn't accept his new selectors.

Who were the selectors?

Duine Eile

Quote from: Gael85 on August 13, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
Quote from: thebackbar1 on August 13, 2019, 12:00:52 PM

Who were the selectors?

Brian Silke and Sean Conlon. Kevin Stritch was the coach and there was someone else doing S and C. This year's performances would suggest serious changes are needed in the coaching set up.

WhoDat

kevin really was never going to go was he? backed by several members of the squad to, im hearing. the team will do nothing next year either. too many players who are happy to be intercounty players but no real ambitions beyond that

Blowitupref

Quote from: WhoDat on August 15, 2019, 03:51:18 PM
kevin really was never going to go was he? backed by several members of the squad to, im hearing. the team will do nothing next year either. too many players who are happy to be intercounty players but no real ambitions beyond that

Was 2018 doing nothing also? reached the Div 1 final and AI semi final lets not forget.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

With the Super 8 draw next year it will be even more important to win Connacht. The likely fixtures for the Connacht winner would be...

Home vs Munster runner up (Cork?)
Croke Park vs Ulster champion
Away to Leinster runner up (Kildare/Meath?)

Losing the Connacht final would put you into the other group with Dublin, Kerry and possibly Tyrone/Donegal if one of them loses the Ulster final.

The 1st scenario is a bit more favourable!