NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on December 11, 2019, 12:03:34 AM
I agree wholeheartedly that we should be very grateful to players that give magnificent service to the county.
Brendan Quigley, Donie Kingston, John O'Loughlin and Mark Timmons suffered heartbreak in the All-Ireland U-21 final of 2007. Ever since they have brought nothing but honour on themselves and their county when they wore the Laois jersey. And not forgetting Ross Munnelly - he surely is the pride of the County Laois.

Ross Munnelly is phenomenal. Not once in his long career did he waver in his commitment. He's not the only one of course. O'Loughlin, Timmons and Begley have also shown huge desire to play over the years.

Blow-in

Fair difference in commitment between Ross Munnelly and Donie Kingston. Worlds apart.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Batman!!! on December 11, 2019, 11:41:54 AM
Fair difference in commitment between Ross Munnelly and Donie Kingston. Worlds apart.

I agree but at the end of the day whether these lads want to dedicate their time to playing for a small county like Laois is completely up to them. They put in a lot of effort and usually get very little reward. Donie Kingston doesn't deserve to be called out like that.

High Fielder

I agree. This is actually getting ridiculous now, and it needs to stop. Comparing one fellas commitment to another proves nothing. Even mentioning it in passing is not on, as it implies upon reading that Donie doesn't care. I know nothing about him, but I do know he has given a lot of time to Laois. It is obvious that he has been committed. If that has changed, for whatever reason, then that is his business. He's probably a better footballer than some of the Dublin forwards, and doesn't get half the recognition or rewards. I'd understand if anyone wanted a break from that. This is a GAA problem and one they are ignoring. They and we cannot take for granted that lads are going to keep turning out for their county. Life is there to be enjoyed and modern life is an expensive business. We don't pay his bills and we don't pay for his holidays. So a bit of respect please.

Unlaoised

Quote from: High Fielder on December 11, 2019, 12:55:04 PM
I agree. This is actually getting ridiculous now, and it needs to stop. Comparing one fellas commitment to another proves nothing. Even mentioning it in passing is not on, as it implies upon reading that Donie doesn't care. I know nothing about him, but I do know he has given a lot of time to Laois. It is obvious that he has been committed. If that has changed, for whatever reason, then that is his business. He's probably a better footballer than some of the Dublin forwards, and doesn't get half the recognition or rewards. I'd understand if anyone wanted a break from that. This is a GAA problem and one they are ignoring. They and we cannot take for granted that lads are going to keep turning out for their county. Life is there to be enjoyed and modern life is an expensive business. We don't pay his bills and we don't pay for his holidays. So a bit of respect please.

Great quote

Donie will be back for one last shot too
LAOIS ABÚ

Pugwash

You simply cannot compare Donie and Ross, they are two completely different players with two completely different body types.

Ross is a small, athletic and nimble footballer while Donie is a big imposing man (super footballer to boot) and with that requires a lot more effort to stay fit to play inter county.

We have seen how the modern game has evolved and many inter county (even club players) are retiring a lot earlier due to the demands placed on their bodies especially those who aren't as naturally fit or as slight as others.

Donie would take far greater hardship in a game than Ross imo, while a hard shoulder may hurt Ross more there is absolutely no question that when you're a small athletic footballer you are able to use your pace and cuteness to evade challenges, unlike a less mobile player like Donie in comparison.

Kingston owes nothing to the Laois jersey, a super servant to his county and wish him all the best in the future with whatever he does.

Giovanni

I think this rather underestimates the effort Ross makes to keep himself fit. The amount of work he does is exceptional, which is why he's such a great role model for everyone else that wants to play at that level.

Pugwash

No I'm not taking anything away from the work Ross does to keep himself in top condition/shape, I'm merely pointing out that you can't compare like for like when one player is what 15/16 stone and 6ft 3 and other is well under 6ft and what 12 stone or so.

It would take far longer and requires more time/effort for Donie to stay fit than someone like Ross no question and maybe his body has had enough and simply can't take the demands anymore?

There are club teams in Laois back training already, it's practically a year long season now and I'm not surprised lads in their late 20's are packing in intercounty in their droves.

Something needs to be done asap.

Laoiseabu

Next thing we will have lads packing in for their clubs let alone intercounty 😂.  What clubs In Laois are back training already ? Surely they should have the rest of 2019 off and start from a clean slate in 2020

Giovanni

Quote from: Pugwash on December 12, 2019, 01:57:21 PM
No I'm not taking anything away from the work Ross does to keep himself in top condition/shape, I'm merely pointing out that you can't compare like for like when one player is what 15/16 stone and 6ft 3 and other is well under 6ft and what 12 stone or so.

It would take far longer and requires more time/effort for Donie to stay fit than someone like Ross no question and maybe his body has had enough and simply can't take the demands anymore?

There are club teams in Laois back training already, it's practically a year long season now and I'm not surprised lads in their late 20's are packing in intercounty in their droves.

Something needs to be done asap.

I don't think there's any pyhsiological evidence to suggest it's easier for a small person to get fit than a tall person. Brendan Quigley has always managed to keep himself in great shape. Same for Evan O Carroll. Of course it's easier for a fit person to stay fit than an unfit one to get fit but that's a different argument.

I take the point that there are heavy demands on people to turn up for training etc. but isn't sport supposed to be something that is enjoyable for the participants? Of course people might have competing interests, which is fair enough, but I would have thought that that the default position for any player (especially good players) would be that they play if they can. In that sense, I can only assume that most of the lads who pull away are doing so because they have competing interests (whether its work, family, or other demands on their time) and not because it's too tough.

les Antiques

Don't think we could have asked for a tougher start in two weeks . Roscommon have some serious forwards who tend to prosper in the league . It's going to be interesting to see the make up of our full back line .

Chrimtain

Can we take it that the Kingstons are not coming back?

Laois Rising

Have you heard something to the contrary Chrimtain. The new mark rule for championship this year is made for a player like Kingston. 

Giovanni

Very sorry to see that Brendan Quigley has called time on his inter-county career. He gave great service to Laois and was certainly one of the best fielders of a ball that I have every seen. Right up there along with Dara O Se in that aspect of the game. Would like to thank him for the memories and wish him well in the future.

The Boy Wonder

If we were to choose the standout Laois midfielder over the past decade Brendan Quigley would get my vote.
Looking back I reckon Padraig Clancy was the Laois midfielder of the noughties (just edging out Noel Garvan).
Barney Maher was definitely our standout midfielder in the 1990s and back further we had great fielders in John Costello (80s) and Bobby Millar (70s).

Brendan Quigley certainly served his county well. Not alone could he pluck balls from the clouds, he was an excellent ball carrier who could take a score.
He was a very talented and stylish player. Hopefully another one or two midfielders will emerge in this new decade to keep up the proud tradition.