AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

MS, from a Monaghan POV, did you think Tyrone were there for the taking in the 2nd half in the Ulster Final?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: seafoid on September 10, 2021, 09:05:40 PM
I sincerely wish the neighbours what it takes to get over the line tomorrow.I hope the team that lines out will be legends by nightfall.

As the Follower used to say, they will be remembered by their people.
And everyone else.

God bless you Seafóid. We appreciate it. I hope the West awakens.

ONeill

Another thing that stood out from the semi v Kerry was that McCurry was being dominated by O'Sullivan. Under Harte, McCurry would have been pulled shortly after halftime. The current management stood by him, even after the black card, and it's arguable that his late points were the most crucial.

IolarCoisCuain

Both Up for the Match and the presentation of the Jubilee teams are victims of the pandemic. There's no point in having an Up for the Match when you can't have a studio audience. The Jubilee team would bring more people to Croke Park and is therefore forbidden. I think they let Martin Storey, who was captain of Wexford in 1996, in for the hurling final and had some sort of presentation, which means Tommy Dowd (I'm told; I would have bet Darren Fay was the captain) will be there to represent the gallant Champions of 25 years ago.

There'll be booing, I'm afraid.

Chimley

I'm hopeful for tomorrow but it's through ignoring our long record of losing finals. I think the fact that we've lost finals in all sorts of ways by now, we are ready to actually win one for a change. It gives me hope that the only team to lower our colours in the championship at HQ since 2012 has been Dublin.

fearsiuil

Quote from: blanketattack on September 10, 2021, 03:13:16 PM
One thing odd about this year's final, is regardless of who wins tomorrow, at best they'll start as 3rd favourite for the All-Ireland in 2022, or if Tyrone win a tight one, probably 4th favourite.
Jeez, how's that favourites tag for 2021 working out for ye!

An Watcher

Thank Christ this game is almost here as I can't read another article or listen to another podcast.  C'mon Tir eoghain you're definitely on your own!!!!

ONeill

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 10, 2021, 11:10:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 10, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
Another thing that stood out from the semi v Kerry was that McCurry was being dominated by O'Sullivan. Under Harte, McCurry would have been pulled shortly after halftime. The current management stood by him, even after the black card, and it's arguable that his late points were the most crucial.
I'm not sure saying that he was being dominated by O'Sullivan is a fair assessment. He was being targeted for double & triple marking. He was usually able to beat O'Sullivan to the ball but was meeting Kerry men (generally their midfielders) coming the other way. They were able to impose their physicality on him and he was goosed.

Oh he was totally dominated by O'Sullivan. Many balls were 1-on-1. The Kerry man produced a masterclass and it was class to witness.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: An Watcher on September 10, 2021, 11:42:19 PM
Thank Christ this game is almost here as I can't read another article or listen to another podcast.  C'mon Tir eoghain you're definitely on your own!!!!

Seriously? I'd say all Ulster bar Armagh would be cheering you's tinkers on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2021, 10:38:45 PM
Quote from: pjm on September 10, 2021, 08:50:18 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on September 10, 2021, 08:00:35 PM
eoghan mcghloughin not in 26 per programme

Where is a good spot to watch the match in Belfast?

Pavilion, Parador and Errigal all on the Ormeau Road beside each other. You should get it in at least 1 or 2 of them.

The Bot be good too.
Others here will know places in the city centre.

I'd say the bot or the errigal is your best bet
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2021, 12:08:01 AM

Just 6 more years until Armagh's jubilee team are back in Croke Park. 

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 11, 2021, 12:08:01 AM

Absolute No chance Derry, Armagh or Donegal, and Down probably don't want Tyrone getting closer to their 5 either.  Fermanagh might be split though and Antrim most likely don't care.

blanketattack

Quote from: ONeill on September 10, 2021, 11:43:49 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 10, 2021, 11:10:43 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 10, 2021, 11:02:38 PM
I'm not sure saying that he was being dominated by O'Sullivan is a fair assessment. He was being targeted for double & triple marking. He was usually able to beat O'Sullivan to the ball but was meeting Kerry men (generally their midfielders) coming the other way. They were able to impose their physicality on him and he was goosed.

Oh he was totally dominated by O'Sullivan. Many balls were 1-on-1. The Kerry man produced a masterclass and it was class to witness.

I agree. All of the first 6 or so balls in were simply 1-on-1 and either TOS beat him to the ball or dispossessed him.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: bennydorano on September 10, 2021, 02:23:50 PM
I haven't really been following this thread and no doubt most of the points have already been made but my 2 cents:- I think Mayo will win by 4 or 5 points, i've a Zen like feeling of calmness that I know the result, but there is of course no basis for it.

The aftermath of the Tyrone v Kerry match was a strange one for me, Tyrone were rightly lauded for masterminding a victory against raging hot favourites but then for the next few days there was some strange takes on it like Tyrone weren't been giving enough credit etc..I actually thought they were given way too much credit – Tyrone came out the right side of an incredibly tight game against a team generally thought to have underperformed and been extremely tactically naïve, Kerry missed an open goal, Conor McKenna's 2nd goal was so incredibly fortuitous, I just felt Tyrone got the rub of the green and by law of averages they wont be as lucky again.

I think Mayo bring an organised chaos that will trouble Tyrone, Tyrone are solid & formulaic and will be quite confident in their ability to shackle Mayo, but they'll have to shackle about 3 or 4 different types of Mayo by the end of the game and I think one of them will get through.  Ignore the passion, desire, drive and history - I just think Mayo are a better side with a better manager.

There's always many different perspectives on one game for sure, but I struggle with "Tyrone were given way too much credit". This is a team under new management who really needed the standard build up of McKenna Cup and league to bed in for their first shot at the championship, and even with that it was going to be tough. They didn't get that - their preparation as a new management team was limited to a quickfire league campaign in May. Then their marquee forward hasn't been able to start a game and their big young hope as a playmaker has also been out injured. Lack of games has also hurt in getting McKenna re adjusted. Thrown in 20 cases of Covid in the build up to Kerry and playing a fifth of the game with 14 (no complaints with either call but Kerry got away with some similar ones). Other than all that we've been really lucky  :D. The reality is that this team hasn't been credited enough for reaching this stage, I see it as an incredible achievement in the circumstances.

I also haven't really tipped Tyrone all summer. I knew we should beat Cavan but given the injuries at the time and post the Kerry hammering I felt Cavan had a nice wee shot there. And I was pretty much 50/50 for Donegal and Monaghan and less than that for Kerry, so I'd be daft to tip Tyrone at this stage.

What I will do is wish the boys all the best and that they bring a big performance, which would give them every chance. Also safe travels to all our fans and to the Mayo folk. I'd genuinely be shouting for Mayo in any other circumstances.

Up Tyrone.

ballinaman

As the old saying goes, sometimes you need to lose ten finals before you win one  ;)

We'll keep coming back until it's done.

Up Mayo