Tyrone vs Armagh - 3rd June 7pm - Healy Park, Omagh.

Started by samuel maguire, May 31, 2023, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: square_ball on June 04, 2023, 11:00:53 AM
The steps from frees has become a bit of a bug bear of mine. It's the same with the mark as well it's never taken from there the mark is taken. Simple solution is get a can of that spray they use in the Premier League and mark the spot where the free is. Problem solved.

the way some free takers hit their frees I think the stealing of steps can be a disadvantage at times

tyroneman

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 04, 2023, 10:58:36 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on June 04, 2023, 10:54:43 AM
Another curates egg game from Tyrone. There was little between the teams in first half other than Armagh's shooting was off and Tyrone's eye was in (and with some great points taken as well).

Obviously sticking very rigidly to a game plan it was a case of methodically grinding out the scores, added to some good defensive work. Nothing spectacular. Keep efficient in the heat and do your job.

Sending off didn't really help that much. Imho, RoN, who is as talented a player as there is in Ireland, has had that red card coming a long time. He's at those snide fouls any game I've seen him play recently and been lucky enough to get away with them. Today he got caught and the ref had enough balls to send him off. Sin é. Hopefully someone will have a word as he has All Star ability.

Would have preferred the shot off the post to have gone in instead just beforehand, as from that point on Tyrone went into game management mode rather than press on and put Armagh to the sword and boy did it nearly cost dear at the end. They seem incapable of utilising an extra man to any advantage.

Terrible decision making throughout, especially in second half where there were men making great runs through on goal but the ball carriers failed to pass and took much more difficult (and selfish) shots themselves.

And by the by, anyone from Armagh talking about Peter Harte taking extra steps should watch RoN take a free - steals at keast 5-10 every time. Took a 20m free and only kicked it at the edge of the big square at one point.

I mentioned Harte's steps. It wasnt aimed at him in particular, he was just the example I used form the video posted. The ONeill free you talk about I think was a 13m free he just started a few metres back. He does steal yards all the time though. Same as every other free taker there is

Yeh, that's fair enough, steps in play is an issue all over county football - especially when club footballers get pulled on it much more often. 

Still think O'Neill takes more steps at a free than any other player I've seen though. Although there was one in first half where he shot far post wide after a 10m saunter so maybe it's not always an advantage alright lol.

The EPL spray wouldnt be a bad idea alright.

marty34

Yeah, taking extra steps on frees is shocking.

Ref just needs a can of that spray and mark it and away we go.

This is a simple step, like many others, the GAA could implement without any issues.

tonto1888

Quote from: tyroneman on June 04, 2023, 11:16:11 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 04, 2023, 10:58:36 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on June 04, 2023, 10:54:43 AM
Another curates egg game from Tyrone. There was little between the teams in first half other than Armagh's shooting was off and Tyrone's eye was in (and with some great points taken as well).

Obviously sticking very rigidly to a game plan it was a case of methodically grinding out the scores, added to some good defensive work. Nothing spectacular. Keep efficient in the heat and do your job.

Sending off didn't really help that much. Imho, RoN, who is as talented a player as there is in Ireland, has had that red card coming a long time. He's at those snide fouls any game I've seen him play recently and been lucky enough to get away with them. Today he got caught and the ref had enough balls to send him off. Sin é. Hopefully someone will have a word as he has All Star ability.

Would have preferred the shot off the post to have gone in instead just beforehand, as from that point on Tyrone went into game management mode rather than press on and put Armagh to the sword and boy did it nearly cost dear at the end. They seem incapable of utilising an extra man to any advantage.

Terrible decision making throughout, especially in second half where there were men making great runs through on goal but the ball carriers failed to pass and took much more difficult (and selfish) shots themselves.

And by the by, anyone from Armagh talking about Peter Harte taking extra steps should watch RoN take a free - steals at keast 5-10 every time. Took a 20m free and only kicked it at the edge of the big square at one point.

I mentioned Harte's steps. It wasnt aimed at him in particular, he was just the example I used form the video posted. The ONeill free you talk about I think was a 13m free he just started a few metres back. He does steal yards all the time though. Same as every other free taker there is

Yeh, that's fair enough, steps in play is an issue all over county football - especially when club footballers get pulled on it much more often. 

Still think O'Neill takes more steps at a free than any other player I've seen though. Although there was one in first half where he shot far post wide after a 10m saunter so maybe it's not always an advantage alright lol.

The EPL spray wouldnt be a bad idea alright.

This is what I was referring to in a different post. Think the same thing has happened with Turbo in games also

tyrone08

Brutal from tyrone. What is with the side wards passing. All lessons from 2021 seem lost, the direct approach works.

RedHand88

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 04, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
Brutal from tyrone. What is with the side wards passing. All lessons from 2021 seem lost, the direct approach works.

I can only hope it was game management from Dooher and Logan what with the heat and the string of matches coming up in quick succession.
Was brutal to watch at times and almost cost us at the end with the backpass to Morgan as the last man.

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on June 03, 2023, 11:50:34 PM
Quote from: BrotherMore6592 on June 03, 2023, 10:28:29 PM
The mayo / arsenal of ulster strike again.

Had it on a plate for them in the ulster final a man up in ET and completely filled them.

"This is our year "
"Geezer has it right this time"
"We've the best attacking 6 in the country"
The orange brigade in full force like Millwall.

Yawn.

4 times since 2002 lads, that's what the stars on the sleeves are in case you forgot.

Form is temporary, class is permanent

And Tyrone aren't even in the top 4 teams in the country, so god knows how your AI was gonna come this year.

Lad that "stars" nonsense is the most ridiculous thing in the GAA... Tyrone have won 4 all Irelands so they have 4 stars, should Kerry have 38 stars on their geansaí? Dublin 30? As far as I can see it's reserved for Tyrone jerseys only unless someone can show me others the same?

It's England soccer nonsense and I'd love to hear a coherent explanation as to why they're there if anyone can give one.

1 star per All Ireland win... hope this clears things up for you.
Ballinderry, a club in your own county, use the same system.

You'll see the same system used in many sports leagues around the world, not just soccer. But it's always nice to see a bit of casual Anglophobia from someone here.

square_ball

Nothing wrong with a county that had no All Irelands at the turn of this century, marking their 4 in 20 odd years on their jersey. Little to be worried about in the GAA if that's the 'most ridiculous thing' in it. Meath have also done it in the past.

armaghniac

Quote from: square_ball on June 04, 2023, 02:43:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a county that had no All Irelands at the turn of this century, marking their 4 in 20 odd years on their jersey. Little to be worried about in the GAA if that's the 'most ridiculous thing' in it. Meath have also done it in the past.

Quite. Probably the last county to get their name on Sam that will ever win it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tyrone08

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 04, 2023, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on June 04, 2023, 12:18:33 PM

I can only hope it was game management from Dooher and Logan what with the heat and the string of matches coming up in quick succession.
Was brutal to watch at times and almost cost us at the end with the backpass to Morgan as the last man.

To be honest I don't think tyrone are that cute. Problem with game managment is you invite the opposition on to you same as the Monaghan game where a goal can kill you in the last few minutes. Time will tell but think the first decent team we meet will put us out.

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on June 04, 2023, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: square_ball on June 04, 2023, 02:43:30 PM

Quite. Probably the last county to get their name on Sam that will ever win it.
The late emergence of Tyrone , Armagh and Derry in all Ireland terms had very little to do with football.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Given the nature of a lot of the debate, I rarely feel motivated to post on the GAA side of this forum anymore. However, once in a while, there is a post that makes me break the rule.

Great post Edward. Agree with an awful lot of what is said therein and in particular the piece I have quoted below, which absolutely nails my own thoughts.

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on June 04, 2023, 10:54:37 AM
Finally, any chat about the management is futile at this stage of the year. Sure they could probably be doing some things better, and I'm certain there will be a thorough evaluation of the situation at the end of the season. But I'd caution those in Armagh baying for replacement to be careful what you wish for...

The current group of players didn't just land into McGeeney's lap - over many, many years he has crafted a team that has now reached a level where they are consistently competitive with the best in the country (nowhere near a given for a county like Armagh). In the absence of any sort of conveyor belt of underage talent over the last decade, resources have had to maximised and intercounty players have had to be moulded from what was available. There are men putting in good shifts for Armagh at the top level who probably wouldn't be near intercounty football under any other management - it's from these efforts that the county has its modest amount of squad depth. When the current management team does depart, which may be soon enough, it will very likely precipitate the retirement of up to half a dozen playing stalwarts. Armagh will then enter a rebuilding phase, and with little to shout about recently at underage, school, or club level, it looks not at all unlikely that the only way for the county will be down (or, Down - like in languishing in Div 3 and going nowhere fast). Anyone that thinks Armagh hit the next level just by landing Oisin McConville, or Tony McEntee, or Malachy O'Rourke in on top of the current playing group isn't living in the real world.

That is so on the money. Respect.

yellowcard

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 04, 2023, 07:04:17 PM
Given the nature of a lot of the debate, I rarely feel motivated to post on the GAA side of this forum anymore. However, once in a while, there is a post that makes me break the rule.

Great post Edward. Agree with an awful lot of what is said therein and in particular the piece I have quoted below, which absolutely nails my own thoughts.

Finally, any chat about the management is futile at this stage of the year. Sure they could probably be doing some things better, and I'm certain there will be a thorough evaluation of the situation at the end of the season. But I'd caution those in Armagh baying for replacement to be careful what you wish for...

The current group of players didn't just land into McGeeney's lap - over many, many years he has crafted a team that has now reached a level where they are consistently competitive with the best in the country (nowhere near a given for a county like Armagh). In the absence of any sort of conveyor belt of underage talent over the last decade, resources have had to maximised and intercounty players have had to be moulded from what was available. There are men putting in good shifts for Armagh at the top level who probably wouldn't be near intercounty football under any other management - it's from these efforts that the county has its modest amount of squad depth. When the current management team does depart, which may be soon enough, it will very likely precipitate the retirement of up to half a dozen playing stalwarts. Armagh will then enter a rebuilding phase, and with little to shout about recently at underage, school, or club level, it looks not at all unlikely that the only way for the county will be down (or, Down - like in languishing in Div 3 and going nowhere fast). Anyone that thinks Armagh hit the next level just by landing Oisin McConville, or Tony McEntee, or Malachy O'Rourke in on top of the current playing group isn't living in the real world.

Its very hard to argue with much of that post. I think its ok to think that McGeeney has done a good job overall but its also ok to think that we look like we need a change. And possibly he needs a break from Armagh himself. I wouldn't be too optimistic about the future though and I'd be a lot more concerned about the lack of success at underage level where we failed to win a championship game at U17 and U20 level yet again this year. But that tends to get overlooked as all of the focus is on the senior team. I'd be asking more questions of what is going in not producing competitive underage teams for about a decade now.   

tyrone08

Surely the whole point of a very well paid manager is that he changes the entire set up and not just deal with the senior player? He has had 9 years to help the set up and his most successful year was getting to a quarter final without winning anything.

His persistent hard man attitude is reflected on the team and has gotten them no where. Keep him for another 9 years I say lol

yellowcard

Quote from: tyrone08 on June 04, 2023, 09:04:10 PM

Surely the whole point of a very well paid manager is that he changes the entire set up and not just deal with the senior player? He has had 9 years to help the set up and his most successful year was getting to a quarter final without winning anything.

His persistent hard man attitude is reflected on the team and has gotten them no where. Keep him for another 9 years I say lol

I'm not sure how a manager can have a hard man attitude! But some people will use anything to have a go at McGeeney. If I was a Tyrone fan I'd be more concerned as to why so many players don't want to play for them.