Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Out of interest what's the story with the host countries in 2028? Do all 5 get in? Or is that all done away with?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

weareros

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 05, 2023, 02:03:09 PMOut of interest what's the story with the host countries in 2028? Do all 5 get in? Or is that all done away with?

Current proposal being considered is that all 5 must qualify, but two spots will be reserved for the two best performers that don't qualify. So if England, Scotland and Wales qualified, the two reserved spots would fall to FAI and IFA.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2023, 01:44:05 PMI'll believe it when I see the diggers going in lol!

"spades in soil" from the UK PM and they have shelved the new rail line to Manchester ..

I'd have to say that my initial reaction - and probably naively - was that once the UK and Ireland were awarded the tournament, then building Casement would automatically happen. However, I heard Miguel Delaney on Sky Sports still talking about IF Casement gets built and suggesting the possibility of alternative venues, which sort of stopped me in my tracks. Is there still a doubt this will happen? 

armaghniac

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2023, 03:54:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 05, 2023, 01:44:05 PMI'll believe it when I see the diggers going in lol!

"spades in soil" from the UK PM and they have shelved the new rail line to Manchester ..

I'd have to say that my initial reaction - and probably naively - was that once the UK and Ireland were awarded the tournament, then building Casement would automatically happen. However, I heard Miguel Delaney on Sky Sports still talking about IF Casement gets built and suggesting the possibility of alternative venues, which sort of stopped me in my tracks. Is there still a doubt this will happen? 

If it is going to be built then they need to start now. Is there not some issue with the contractor?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2023, 06:29:26 PMDoes The North need a 40k  all seater GAA stadium?

No, nor is it getting one that size. The revised project has a 34,500 capacity, I'm not sure if that is all seater. Some standing for GAA games with provision to install seating would be appropriate.

marty34

I'd say they have to find the money from somewhere, now that it's certain that they need Casement.

Everybody will have to step up to the plate and empty the pockets.

Time is of the essence now.  That's probably a good thing in that it forces minds.

I suppose the local economy will get a dividend from this - so it'll bring money in...I think. 

p3427977

Quote from: armaghniac on October 05, 2023, 06:41:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 05, 2023, 06:29:26 PMDoes The North need a 40k  all seater GAA stadium?

No, nor is it getting one that size. The revised project has a 34,500 capacity, I'm not sure if that is all seater. Some standing for GAA games with provision to install seating would be appropriate.
It's not all seated.

clarshack

Quote from: armaghniac on October 05, 2023, 05:23:35 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 05, 2023, 03:54:01 PM

If it is going to be built then they need to start now. Is there not some issue with the contractor?

Yes the Buckingham Group have went bust with the loss of about 500 jobs.

Wildweasel74

If Monaghan and Donegal got to a Ulster final in a few years time, would they drag them to Casement park for it?

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 05, 2023, 09:48:08 PMIf Monaghan and Donegal got to a Ulster final in a few years time, would they drag them to Casement park for it?

Yes, why not? Monaghan v Cavan or Fermanagh would be less clear.

JPGJOHNNYG

It will get built. We will look like an even bigger basket case of a place if we can't sort out a stadium for a chance to host one of the world's major sporting events. The UK and Irish government will cough up the dosh, sure the GAA will likely increase their input  to quieten down the objectors. In hindsight the Maze stadium should have been built but the OWC fans objected and they are the ones moaning again. Maybe Windsor should have been redeveloped as a bigger stadium. 18000 always seemed ridiculously shortsighted

rodney trotter

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 05, 2023, 10:37:01 PMIt will get built. We will look like an even bigger basket case of a place if we can't sort out a stadium for a chance to host one of the world's major sporting events. The UK and Irish government will cough up the dosh, sure the GAA will likely increase their input  to quieten down the objectors. In hindsight the Maze stadium should have been built but the OWC fans objected and they are the ones moaning again. Maybe Windsor should have been redeveloped as a bigger stadium. 18000 always seemed ridiculously shortsighted

Would Northern Irel fill out above a 18k stadium ?Playing in half full stadiums looks doesn't look a good spectacle.

lurganblue

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 05, 2023, 09:48:08 PMIf Monaghan and Donegal got to a Ulster final in a few years time, would they drag them to Casement park for it?

Definitely. If the suggestion is that Clones would be better then St Tiernach's Park would need a serious revamp too.

trailer