Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

statto

Joyce was very quick to blame the officials for the defeat, felt they had no one to blame but themselves given some of the poor wides they had in first half, their dominance on the Mayo kickout in the first half and Tierneys botched goal chance were the reasons for the loss. 

seafoid

Quote from: statto on June 26, 2023, 04:53:34 PM
Joyce was very quick to blame the officials for the defeat, felt they had no one to blame but themselves given some of the poor wides they had in first half, their dominance on the Mayo kickout in the first half and Tierneys botched goal chance were the reasons for the loss.
His comments to the general media gave a different impression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m7CqIXwIT8&t=354s

highorlow

ROD was born to run, lets leave it at that. It's time our lads got some of the old "nastiness", as Tomas O'Shea would call it, back. We were too soft up until now, but that was likely due to the nature of the fixtures more than anything.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

GalwayBayBoy

Phone footage from the crowd of the stamp/foot rake going around. From the reverse angle. Not good. I think the intent is fairly clear. I get the desperation to win but that kind of stuff goes over the line. IMO of course. Hitting a player a hard shoulder is part of the game. Stamping on an injured body part isn't. Can't believe this even needs to be pointed out.

WhoDat

genuinely don't get the hand wringing about the kelly thing. how many times have we seen lads fresh back from injury and they're instantly getting lined up for huge hits. literally the dogs in the street know that players carrying injuries are targeted. it's absolutely nothing new and if kelly was really that bad, he shouldn't have been on the pitch and that's on himself and his management.

An Fhairche Abu

It's Sean Kelly's fault for being on the pitch in the first place alright, the only logical position.

Blowitupref

Sean Kelly lasted the full game. I'd question starting Comer  more who picked up hamstring injury on Thursday 16th  and nine days was not enough recovery time.  Was odd that Joyce and his management chose to bring on Ian Burke for Comer while waited until the 62nd minute to bring on Rob Finnerty and Tomo Culhane not brought on until the 69th minute.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

WhoDat

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 26, 2023, 07:28:28 PM
It's Sean Kelly's fault for being on the pitch in the first place alright, the only logical position.

i mean, yes? he chose to take the risk and he's no shrinking violet himself. stuff like this happens all the time in football. i have seen countless lads with bad shoulders and bad hips being absolutely nailed even before a ball is thrown in. happens all over the country. it's pure sensationalism to act like this incident is anything new, and kelly will know it well himself.

Tubberman

Quote from: WhoDat on June 26, 2023, 07:59:19 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 26, 2023, 07:28:28 PM

i mean, yes? he chose to take the risk and he's no shrinking violet himself. stuff like this happens all the time in football. i have seen countless lads with bad shoulders and bad hips being absolutely nailed even before a ball is thrown in. happens all over the country. it's pure sensationalism to act like this incident is anything new, and kelly will know it well himself.

And he shouldn't have started the messing with Hession if he didn't want to get any "attention"
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

An Fhairche Abu

Fair enough, ye are defending the indefensible as far as I'm concerned, I'll say no more on it.

WhoDat

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2023, 08:36:55 PM
https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1673408285142052881

pure sensationalism. go look at any club match around the country and you'll see plenty like it. james o'donoghue had the best take on it today - if a top player can't take that bit of roughing up that they know they're going to get when they go into a game with a well-publicised injury, they might as well not be there. kelly and galway management made the decision to go ahead knowing full well what the story would be. it's not under 14s and this isn't kelly's first rodeo.

From the Bunker

Pretty poor from ROD. Not one for the archives when he hangs up his boots. Would have been pissed off with this sort of carry on, if the shoe was on the other foot (to use the pun). 
There will be nothing done by the multiple C's, they have grown afraid of doing anything about this kind of thing. They'll hide behind the nothing to see here motto.
Fans have become worse defending their players. I was shocked (and disappointed) by how many of my cork friends stood up for Cork's  Maguires fist chop down on the back Carney head last week.

As I said earlier, Galway and Mayo both messed up. Mayo have got another week to play catch-up, but they are still paying dearly for a game against Cork they should have closed out.

That loss has transpired to see Kerry avoid Galway and Dublin. They really got out of Jail there.

Galway have a long time to think about this season. Tough decisions will have to be made to get back on track. The season failure is not the loss to Mayo, it was the loss to Armagh.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2023, 09:22:22 PM
Pretty poor from ROD. Not one for the archives when he hangs up his boots. Would have been pissed off with this sort of carry on, if the shoe was on the other foot (to use the pun). 
There will be nothing done by the multiple C's, they have grown afraid of doing anything about this kind of thing. They'll hide behind the nothing to see here motto.
Fans have become worse defending their players. I was shocked (and disappointed) by how many of my cork friends stood up for Cork's  Maguires fist chop down on the back Carney head last week.

As I said earlier, Galway and Mayo both messed up. Mayo have got another week to play catch-up, but they are still paying dearly for a game against Cork they should have closed out.

That loss has transpired to see Kerry avoid Galway and Dublin. They really got out of Jail there.

Galway have a long time to think about this season. Tough decisions will have to be made to get back on track. The season failure is not the loss to Mayo, it was the loss to Armagh.
If they had drawn with Armagh they would be playing Monaghan at the weekend with Kelly and Comer banjaxed and Walsh out of form.  The setup of the competition is not conducive to injury healing. Galway's resources were overwhelmed. 

Sometimes a year has to be a write off.

Tipperary had an awful 2018. Nothing worked.

They came back the next year much improved.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2023, 09:34:50 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2023, 09:22:22 PM

If they had drawn with Armagh they would be playing Monaghan at the weekend with Kelly and Comer banjaxed and Walsh out of form.  The setup of the competition is not conducive to injury healing. Galway's resources were overwhelmed. 

Sometimes a year has to be a write off.

Tipperary had an awful 2018. Nothing worked.

They came back the next year much improved.

Tipperary had won the 2016 AI, they had the knowledge that they had done it before.

You can't compare this Galway side to them, the circumstances are completely different.