Galway v Mayo, Preliminary Quarter-Final, Pearse Stadium 3pm Sunday

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Both teams probably threw away any chance of getting to the AI final last Sunday given the road left to travel now, hard to know which was the worse butchering of the prime position each team was in to top their groups, Mayo's probably a more spectacular collapse but Galway's just as bad really given the context.

we got the worst team out of the hat anyway, Mayo are a really good team and Galway are in serious bother with the injury situation.
If Comer and Kelly are unavailable I don't see how Galway can get a result, they are just too important to the team, along with the underrated McHugh. If Comer plays last Sunday and I think we have the feet up this . Mayo's record in knock out matches between the two counties when it's do or die as well is formidable. Hopefully this match will see Galway making a real stand and not a 2019 like situation.
Regardless, the eternal question remains "will Galway bate Mayo?".

orchardarmy02

whats wrong with Comer? Does he have an expected return date?

An Fhairche Abu

Comer was named to play at the weekend when the teams were submitted Thursday morning but got hamstring injury at training Thursday and not available to line out.
McHugh was in the same boat in terms of being named but then out with reoccurrence of his hamstring injury also. Galway had a mix up with the medical exception list and only had a panel of 24 as they weren't replaced in time for the squad.

No word on possible return for next weekend for any inured players but it's do or die so who knows, Comer has been risked in similar situations before and it's just made things worse so if he's in bother Galway should just leave him out of the squad and let someone else try to step up. Comer was badly missed at the weekend to be honest and if Kelly is also absent I'd say they could be fatal blows, certainly it turns the dial much more in favour of Mayo.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 20, 2023, 01:09:57 PM
Both teams probably threw away any chance of getting to the AI final last Sunday given the road left to travel now, hard to know which was the worse butchering of the prime position each team was in to top their groups, Mayo's probably a more spectacular collapse but Galway's just as bad really given the context.

we got the worst team out of the hat anyway, Mayo are a really good team and Galway are in serious bother with the injury situation.
If Comer and Kelly are unavailable I don't see how Galway can get a result, they are just too important to the team, along with the underrated McHugh. If Comer plays last Sunday and I think we have the feet up this . Mayo's record in knock out matches between the two counties when it's do or die as well is formidable. Hopefully this match will see Galway making a real stand and not a 2019 like situation.
The championship is still very open. Kerry and Dublin have not justified betting odds to date. It's one step at a time, same as 2001.
Mayo are very inconsistent. They followed up an impressive dismantling of Kerry with an unconvincing day against Louth and a poor display against Cork.
There isn't a lot of quality in the competition. Hopefully injuries will not define the year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

statto

Wouldn't necessarily agree with this.  The winner of the game on Sunday will get good momentum for going into the quarter finals and while they will get a difficult game in quarters a win next weekend and I would expect last weekends results will be largely forgot about.  As things stand, the winner of the groups would like to avoid the winners of this one. 

larryin89

Quote from: statto on June 20, 2023, 02:49:57 PM

Wouldn't necessarily agree with this.  The winner of the game on Sunday will get good momentum for going into the quarter finals and while they will get a difficult game in quarters a win next weekend and I would expect last weekends results will be largely forgot about.  As things stand, the winner of the groups would like to avoid the winners of this one.

Not enough recovery time for Galway (assuming the favs win ) to get right for a qf against a top side . Galway had a very good chance of all Ireland glory this year but I'd be surprised if they followed through now simply because they didn't win their group .

twohands!!!

I don't know anyone who is confident as regards the result in regards to this game - pretty much everyone I've been talking to has said either could win it and will come down to whoever performs on the day.

In terms of whoever wins it, i think the turnaround to a quarter-final against rested opposition is likely to be a killer.

Pretty much all the teams who topped the groups will have good momentum anyway so I don't think that is going to help who wins much.

seafoid

Whoever wins this will have had a kick in the hole followed by an analysis of weaknesses followed by a win. That will probably stand to them more than a weekend off.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 20, 2023, 02:55:30 PM
I don't know anyone who is confident as regards the result in regards to this game - pretty much everyone I've been talking to has said either could win it and will come down to whoever performs on the day.

In terms of whoever wins it, i think the turnaround to a quarter-final against rested opposition is likely to be a killer.

Pretty much all the teams who topped the groups will have good momentum anyway so I don't think that is going to help who wins much.
My thoughts before the championship started and looking at the schedule was that it would be one of the 4 group winners to take Sam and I think that even more so now. It will be really tough on the prelim winners to get ready for another tough game against top opposition with no recovery time. I can't see Galway beating Mayo and then being able to take out a rested Derry, Kerry or Dublin 6 or 7 days later. I would give Mayo some slight chance as they can avoid Kerry in the draw and don't seem to have as many key players injured as Galway but really I think the 4 teams that have the feet up this weekend have a massive, massive advantage.

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2023, 03:03:08 PM
Whoever wins this will have had a kick in the hole followed by an analysis of weaknesses followed by a win. That will probably stand to them more than a weekend off.
I would disagree, recovery and player availability are key now, there's only 5 weeks left in the IC season, be hard enough to win 3 must win games against good opposition without adding another must win match against a Div One team on top of that. Teams know what they are about at this stage. Really Galway and Mayo totally sabotaged their seasons last Sunday, it genuinely felt like the year was gone last Sunday after Walsh missed that free, the odds are really stacked against Galway now.

seafoid

The odds would be stacked against Galway if Paddy Joe's All Stars hadn't drawn with Dublin and Kerry hadn't been beaten by Mayo and depended on a dubious penalty to beat Cork.
Maybe none of the other provincials will go all the way.

An Fhairche Abu

That may prove to be so in time but at this juncture I'm only worried about Galway seafoid and I think we've made it far harder than necessary by lumping another match and less recovery time for the key injured players we have currently.

seafoid

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 20, 2023, 03:19:13 PM
That may prove to be so in time but at this juncture I'm only worried about Galway seafoid and I think we've made it far harder than necessary by lumping another match and less recovery time for the key injured players we have currently.
Of course we have but it's still all to play for. The standard may not be as high as people think.
It's not 2019 any more.

Manning18

Quote from: larryin89 on June 20, 2023, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: statto on June 20, 2023, 02:49:57 PM

Not enough recovery time for Galway (assuming the favs win ) to get right for a qf against a top side . Galway had a very good chance of all Ireland glory this year but I'd be surprised if they followed through now simply because they didn't win their group .

How much will you lose on them Larry when they go out? You'd a hefty all Ireland bet hadn't you?

larryin89

I only backed them to help finance drowning my sorrows , it's a win win of sorts , I'll frame the docket if they don't pull it off .