Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 06, 2017, 07:43:22 PM
There's some right knob-jocks on this thread who equate refusal to wear a poppy with disrespecting everyone in England and the fallen in WW1.   No doubt they support Trumps views on the NFL players too.

NFL players are actually the agitators. If they were being told to wear KKK badges I'd support their stance in taking a knee but the US national anthem isn't divisive. They're trying to make it divisive.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Itchy

done war veterans in the UK refuse to wear the poppy too due to how it's been manipulated. I assume they too should kids off to another country?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 06, 2017, 07:51:05 PM
When McClean started playing in England; players didnt have a poppy on their jersey
And back then clubs had a lot more English/British playing with them. 

stew

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 03:24:10 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on November 05, 2017, 03:03:49 PM
How has he been disrespectful wobbler?

For a city that has produced its fair share of sportsmen and woman I can't think of too many to be prouder of.  Some of things he has done for the people and the community here are amazing.  Has never forgotten where he has came from and gives a hell of a lot back.  All done away from the glare of media and attention.  But sure have pot shots at him for his stance on the poppy.  Anybody with a half a brain can understand his views and actions given where hes from.  I dont think it's something he should be derided for, the opposite in fact.  If thats not your opinion  fair enough, but there are many more attributes to his character that deserve attention, and I dont see those same countrymen of his that criticise him ever mentioning that.

I don't ignore it.

But with McClean and his strong opinions, I always find myself returning to a base point that he has, through his own choice, spent his entire adult life working in England.

There are plenty of ways to maintain your cultural identity when living in another country. His is the militant sort. And as mentioned a few posts back, if a foreigner in this country behaved in a similar way he would be similarly reviled. Surely anyone with "half a brain" can work this out?

So he listens to the Wolfe Tones and refuses to wear the [pppy and that makes him militant? Catch yourself on man dear!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tonto1888

Quote from: foxcommander on November 06, 2017, 08:52:06 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on November 06, 2017, 07:43:22 PM
There's some right knob-jocks on this thread who equate refusal to wear a poppy with disrespecting everyone in England and the fallen in WW1.   No doubt they support Trumps views on the NFL players too.

NFL players are actually the agitators. If they were being told to wear KKK badges I'd support their stance in taking a knee but the US national anthem isn't divisive. They're trying to make it divisive.

the protest isn't actually against the national anthem, or the flag though

Jell 0 Biafra

There is the third verse of the US national anthem, which is arguably racist:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/its-time-for-a-new-national-anthem-or-none-at-all_us_59ced0c8e4b0f3c468060eb2

"No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave" ― "The Star-Spangled Banner," third verse

Francis Scott Key [author of the anthem], a slave-owner, was at best a white supremacist that saw black bodies as valuable tools. He was the district attorney for Washington, where he defended slavery against abolitionists in the case U.S. v. Reuben Crandall. He once famously said that black folks were "...a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community." At worst, he was someone who gloated in the deaths of black bodies. According to Associate Professor Jason Johnson of Morgan State University, "Essentially, Francis Scott Key was happy to see former slaves, who had joined the British as part of their Colonial Marines, getting slaughtered and killed as they attempted to take Baltimore...he's essentially saying to these terrible, ungrateful, black people, this is the consequence of standing up against the United States."

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 07, 2017, 12:00:34 AM
When McClean started playing in England; players didnt have a poppy on their jersey

Doesn't matter if there was no non-English players. A football shirt is no place for a Poppy. It has nothing to do with sport whatsoever.  That is the problem, not James McClean.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on November 07, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 07, 2017, 12:00:34 AM

Doesn't matter if there was no non-English players. A football shirt is no place for a Poppy. It has nothing to do with sport whatsoever.  That is the problem, not James McClean.
Of course it matters.
The point being made is that there is almost zero tradition to support the call to  (compulsory) wear the poppy on the football shirt. The assumption being peddled is that there is a tradition of footballers wearing the poppy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/01/wearing-poppy-meaningful-voluntary-footballers

T Fearon

Was in Manchester yesterday,At legoland there was a huge poppy image on the glass facade just above the top of the Matt Busby statue accompanied by the words."We will remember them!"

Rossfan

How many of "them" can they name?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

They had fairly large banners draped on the wall,with names emblazoned on each,behind the statue of Best,Law and Charlton.I assume these were the names of Utd players killed in action during World Wars

Denn Forever

Own goal for the catholic church in enniskillen.

A memorial to the 12 people killed was to be housed on land beside the town's Clinton Centre.

However, a Catholic church trust, which owns the land, said it had not yet made a decision on the matter. The memorial has been put into storage.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

T Fearon

Hope they don't forget about the memorial.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 09, 2017, 11:16:16 AM
Own goal for the catholic church in enniskillen.

A memorial to the 12 people killed was to be housed on land beside the town's Clinton Centre.

However, a Catholic church trust, which owns the land, said it had not yet made a decision on the matter. The memorial has been put into storage.
Maybe the whole story is more complex than 2 lines

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...