Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

It's to remember all the animals killed in war.

/Jim.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2017, 02:34:23 PM
Roy Keane,our Assistant Manager,on last night's Champions League highlights show,maintaining an annual tradition for him
If he didn't wear it, it would be bigger news. Go with the flow.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 02, 2017, 10:16:09 PM
Roy Keane,our Assistant Manager,on last night's Champions League highlights show,maintaining an annual tradition for him

You know what else goes with the flow? A dead fish.

stew

Bullshit, Glen Hoddle didnt wear pme on TV the other day and nothing was said.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

longballin

or show courage like James McClean...

Dougal Maguire

Saw a guy in New York wearing one. It was one of those woollen jobs not your common version that Tony Fearon buys from his neighbour every year
Careful now

longballin

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 04, 2017, 12:20:27 PM
Saw a guy in New York wearing one. It was one of those woollen jobs not your common version that Tony Fearon buys from his neighbour every year

:D  lest we forget

BennyCake

I see McClean was booed today by the Poppy fascists. Ironically, in any of the crowd shots that were shown, very few were actually wearing poppies.

Targetman

He seems to get stick at every match in England he plays, Mc Clean's a sound lad and won't let them pricks annoy him, stick one in the net Saturday night James!!

thewobbler

I'd expect that if a South African rugby player came to Ireland and both outwardly stuck two fingers up to Irish traditions and ways, then spent his days antagonising people about it online, that he would be universally reviled and there would be a campaign to send him packing.

But according to this thread McLean is a sound lad, has courage, and is surrounded by fascists.

Rampant hypocrisy. Rampant, unabashed hypocrisy. The inevitable outcome of people investing themselves in symbolism.

charlieTully

Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 10:24:22 AM
I'd expect that if a South African rugby player came to Ireland and both outwardly stuck two fingers up to Irish traditions and ways, then spent his days antagonising people about it online, that he would be universally reviled and there would be a campaign to send him packing.

But according to this thread McLean is a sound lad, has courage, and is surrounded by fascists.

Rampant hypocrisy. Rampant, unabashed hypocrisy. The inevitable outcome of people investing themselves in symbolism.

You believe he should wear the poppy?

thewobbler

Quote from: charlieTully on November 05, 2017, 11:46:52 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 05, 2017, 10:24:22 AM

You believe he should wear the poppy?

No. But I do believe he should have enough respect for the country in which he is earning an (extraordinary) income, to do so quietly.

T Fearon

Exactly wobbler.I would never wear a poppy or an Easter Lily for that matter.But my elderly neighbour comes to my door every year.Throughout the year she takes my post,keeps an eye on the place when I'm not there etc.Out of respect and good neighbourliness,and the fact that generally I do u nderstand  those of a Unionist tradition take the view that Catholics and Protestants both fought and died together and this is non political (I don't agree with this view),I make a small donation,take a poppy,and place it at the bottom of the bin pronto,thus not sacrificing any principle,but simply showing respect to a good neighbour.

charlieTully

I think James McCleans stance is brave and honourable personally. Takes some balls knowing the flak he will and does receive.

Itchy

Mcclean should lie down like a good croppie