Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 01, 2017, 08:52:46 AM
This thread is getting lost in an argument over the behaviour of the British through the centuries. In essence this thread is meant to be about the poppy and its misuse as a political symbol, which it isn't intended to be. Governments tend not to take care of returning soldiers, the USA is as bad as Britain in this regard. As Irish people we have a natural antipathy to the British Army and for good reasons. However we should not be blinded to the purpose of the poppy across the water based on our own experiences and the total misuse of it in NI as a symbol of domination. People should be free to wear or not as they choose but when broadcasters, football teams etc make the wearing of it a necessity in this divided society they are taking sides IFA take note, BBC take note and UTV take note.

If they haven't taken note by now, it's unlikely they ever will.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 01, 2017, 03:18:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 07:56:37 AM
Jesus lad get over it, the charity is for ex service men regardless! They join an army that in most cases it's the only job they'll get ! It's the government that send them to war! How stupid are you, do you honestly think the lads want to be put in danger and risk their lives every day?

You issues are with the government sending them to Belfast Derry and any other part of NI where they carried out their dirty acts! Had the government not sent them we'd not be discussing it.  Stop blaming the poppy

Well if you join an army, the odds are high that you'll see battle.

It's not only what the British army did in Ireland that's the problem. Iraq and Afghanistan doesn't affect my everyday life, but it's still disgusting what they're doing over there. Just because the army is no longer on our streets, doesn't make it right. THe fact is, they're on somebody's streets.

Yes and no one here will disagree with you on that point! they should look after their own in their own country, peac keeping is fine as the Irish have done that for years... we wont be going to war and thats the way it should be... These wars have lingered on since the empire started and wont stop anytime soon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2017, 08:01:56 AM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 01, 2017, 12:01:53 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2017, 11:53:22 PM
Shit you lived in England! And to think that's the criteria for loving the place!! Oh I've english welsh and Scottish friends! Big f**king deal, who doesn't Ffs! But the crap about the poppy you waffle  on about  is just that, waffle!

It's a charity, they give the money to ex service men, the government do provide their servicemen with a pension, you'd know that having lived in England for three years 😂😂.. there is medical care for service men also, and after they are servicemen, it's called the NHS... it's completely stretched but hey that's probably the Poppy's fault!

There are thousand of countries with armies that are in some war of sorts, bleat about them while you are at it..

The country has always had a naval army base! That's history that's standing that's just what's been, getting involved in other countries problems isn't just a British thing, the French, Spanish, Dutch, Belgium's, Germans! Have done it for centuries, doesn't make it right but hey ho I have heard you give off about the other countries , and let's not get started on the yanks!

Address the government not the charity

Do they also support the terrorists responsible for the massacres in Derry and Ballymurphy? Or the various other murders carried out by the British Army here? Because I imagine that a lot of people on this forum wouldn't mind giving them something, but it wouldn't be the hard earned coins out of their own pocket.

Do who support the terrorist? The poppy organisation?

I'd say the Army lost a lot of service men here during the war that's what happens... who'd be giving them money here from a nationalist side? And you'll hardly be giving them something else from behind the keyboard, they haven't been here for years so you've missed your chance, though you could join Isis and get a go at them if you're up for it

;D f**king clown

AQMP

Interesting point made on Stephen Nolan's show yesterday that how could Nolan host an impartial debate on the wearing of the poppy...while wearing one?  Akin to trying to hold an impartial debate on the OO while wearing a sash and bowler hat!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/caller-asks-how-can-bbcs-nolan-be-independent-wearing-poppy-during-poppy-debate-36281106.html

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on November 02, 2017, 10:11:22 AM
Interesting point made on Stephen Nolan's show yesterday that how could Nolan host an impartial debate on the wearing of the poppy...while wearing one?  Akin to trying to hold an impartial debate on the OO while wearing a sash and bowler hat!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/caller-asks-how-can-bbcs-nolan-be-independent-wearing-poppy-during-poppy-debate-36281106.html

I suppose by the same token how could he be impartial if he *didn't* wear one? There doesn't seem to be an 'I don't care' option.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2017, 10:15:32 AM
Quote from: AQMP on November 02, 2017, 10:11:22 AM

I suppose by the same token how could he be impartial if he *didn't* wear one? There doesn't seem to be an 'I don't care' option.
The Poppy is a polarising symbol. There is no way to wear it without offending people, unless it could be made available speaking Irish. Even that would be offensive. ..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

A green poppy?

I dont know anyone of my friends who get offended by seeing a poppy on someone... they might get annoyed if they know someone that was 'forced' to wear one due to working on TV but again that person wears it cause he wants to, BBC would be breaking employments rights on staff if they were forcing the issue
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Guy at work today wearing 3 on his shirt, like cufflinks only on his buttons. Outstanding.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on November 02, 2017, 01:00:59 PM
Guy at work today wearing 3 on his shirt, like cufflinks only on his buttons. Outstanding.

Ask him how much he gives to the charity? I don't mind the poppy what annoys me more is the feckers digging out the old ones every year!

T Fearon

Roy Keane,our Assistant Manager,on last night's Champions League highlights show,maintaining an annual tradition for him

AZOffaly

Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2017, 02:34:23 PM
Roy Keane,our Assistant Manager,on last night's Champions League highlights show,maintaining an annual tradition for him

What was that? HAving a dig at Liverpool?

BennyCake

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 02, 2017, 02:36:35 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 02, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

What was that? HAving a dig at Liverpool?

No, shaving.

Jim_Murphy_74

tonto1888

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 02, 2017, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2017, 11:45:48 AM
A green poppy?

Does anyone where the purple poppy? 

/Jim.

whats that? I wore a white one in the past