Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 31, 2017, 01:19:08 PM
If you can look at from a charity thing, rather than whatever makes you rage thing then its a good cause..

I dislike the British empire, as much as the next guy but really, who gives a fcuk? A lot of gurnning over a poppy flower, dig in over November and end of October and you'll come out unscathed

Charity maybe. But this charity helps the soldiers. It's not the actual government they were fighting for, that helps them. The people are actually paying to support soldiers who fought in wars that a lot of them were opposed to in the first place.

BennyCake

Quote from: PAULD123 on October 31, 2017, 02:02:34 PM
As for closer to home. No English, Scots, or Welsh villages suffered British Soldiers harassing and abusing the residents let alone shooting them.  If it were truly a symbol of peace not selfish self-righteousness then the poppy sellers would all universally condemn the atrocities of the British Army in Northern Ireland and agree it is an inappropriate symbol for us. After all they don't insist on the Germans wearing them...

What do you mean when you say "us"?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on October 31, 2017, 02:12:53 PM
If you can look at from a charity thing, rather than whatever makes you rage thing then its a good cause..

I dislike the British empire, as much as the next guy but really, who gives a fcuk? A lot of gurnning over a poppy flower, dig in over November and end of October and you'll come out unscathed

Charity maybe. But this charity helps the soldiers. It's not the actual government they were fighting for, that helps them. The people are actually paying to support soldiers who fought in wars that a lot of them were opposed to in the first place.

It is what it is, lads that join an Army do so mainly as a job, Governments have them (Armies) in most countries in the world and the charity is there to help ex soldiers... The Brits have changed the meaning possibly but the charity is still just that, its not a reason for people joining the army, its not the reason for wars to continue, it is the result of these conflicts that the charity is needed....

Now its easy for Irish people to have a go at the Brits, we've been on the end of some horrendous murders/attacks/beatings over the years, but the media hijacking the poppy and the government using it for whatever reasons shouldnt be the focus here...

Attack the political parties that vote for these wars, sending men/women into wars that have no real bearing on them... peace keeping yes I get that but the rest is pointless until it becomes a major problem if the likes of 2 countries go at it! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

I've said before in the context of GB I see no issue with the poppy or the cause. In fact given the lack of support for ex military in Britain I see the need. In NI it is divisive and my point only is that in the circumstances where the IFA bleat on about being cross community they take every opportunity to embrace Britishness, at least be honest and open about it. I won't watch the match for those reasons. This is also a forum and without gurning there is no point to it.

foxcommander

Quote from: stew on October 31, 2017, 01:54:03 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on October 31, 2017, 01:33:06 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on October 31, 2017, 12:49:53 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 31, 2017, 10:10:10 AM
So the Nation that is Northern Ireland will wear the poppy in the November internationals. So much for the IFA's inclusivity and cross community ethos. Shown for the lip service it is.

Surely that would go down like a lead balloon for some of the squad? maybe not...

The whole footballers being forced to wear them thing.... surely there are loads of that wide spectrum of people who do not agree with what it stands for, or the actions of the state now or even in the past?  Surely others have gripes about the actions of British soldiers around the world?  Baffles me that the only person who seems to have expressed an opposing opinion is McClean

He's the only one that has the balls to do it.
Think Hollywood, every f**ker in the place knows whats going on but due to money concerns the hide like rats in a sewer until it all kicks off and then they will come out of the woodwork and take a stance Mclean had had for years.

The country should be proud of James McClean that he stands up for what he believes in.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

vallankumous

Quote from: foxcommander on October 31, 2017, 02:44:51 PM

The country should be proud of James McClean that he stands up for what he believes in.

Only if you agree with what he believes in.

longballin

Quote from: vallankumous on October 31, 2017, 03:02:10 PM

Aye he believes in not celebrating an army that shot dead 14 innocent people in his city (among their many other atrocities).

vallankumous

Quote from: longballin on October 31, 2017, 03:05:17 PM

Aye he believes in not celebrating an army that shot dead 14 innocent people in his city (among their many other atrocities).

Indeed

maddog

Quote from: longballin on October 31, 2017, 03:05:17 PM

the cheek of him

vallankumous

I suppose my point is that the only people who will be proud of him are those in agreement. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that despite the truth in the comments above there are many in the Country who think he should wear one.

foxcommander

Quote from: vallankumous on October 31, 2017, 03:16:14 PM
I suppose my point is that the only people who will be proud of him are those in agreement. I'm sure it comes as no surprise that despite the truth in the comments above there are many in the Country who think he should wear one.

West brits you mean?

vallankumous

Quote from: foxcommander on October 31, 2017, 03:20:46 PM

West brits you mean?

No, I'm referring to irish people. I assume that's the Country you were talking about.

foxcommander

Quote from: vallankumous on October 31, 2017, 03:22:08 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on October 31, 2017, 03:20:46 PM

West brits you mean?

No, I'm referring to irish people. I assume that's the Country you were talking about.

I think they've already revoked their claim to be irish if that's their viewpoint.

tonto1888

This time of year again.
I disagree with the poppy being splashed all over everything. If people on TV want to wear one fair enough, if not then they shouldn't have to wear one. Same as the person on the street. Was it Jon Snow who coined the term poppy fascism?

Milltown Row2

yeah, I think that most people in Britain wear it and see it for what it is, regardless of what the media and government try to shove down our throats... NI different problem altogether
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea