Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I'd say 51 million wouldn't be a tenth of what would be needed to help ... yes id imagine it will go towards all ex service men who maimed or suffering from mental issues that came from being in service..

It's the government that produce the need for wars and armies... I don't think the symbol of the poppy creates more wars or encourages people to join up, if anything it should have the opposite effect as it's a charity to help wounded men in all guises to rehabilitate  back into to normal life..

How some people here can focus on atrocities carried out by military forces on these shores while turn a blind eye to other atrocities by Irish armies (Provo, INLA) is very confusing... War is horrible and no matter what the justification l
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 26, 2017, 08:43:45 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 26, 2017, 07:40:13 PM
The poppy is a symbol of a martial society . The British war machine still sends young men to die in pointless wars. The ones who don't die are often maimed either physically or mentally. The Sun salutes their bravery but isn't there when the marriage breaks down or at the moment of suicide. Solemnity doesn't come into it.

Again it's a charity, set up to remember the first world... don't dress it up or give it any other attention...

Plenty countries sending young men and women out to wars, been doing it for thousands of years. I doubt you have any sympathy for the deaths maimed the marriage breakdowns or suicides
Not withstanding the abuse of the poppy by unionists/loyalists here, across the water it does good work with ex soldiers. Nationalists can sometimes become so fixated on atrocities committed by the army here that they have a closed mind on this. At the end of the day the lads who join the army as ordinary soldiers very often do so to get a trade or just a decent living. Britain does not look after its soldiers well, nor does the US and so vetrans charities are necessary. Like so much of our relationship with all things British the Irish relationship with the British army is not straight forward. even the actions of soldiers in NI can be laid at the door of political ineptitude. As nationalists and republicans we need to exercise some common sense, how are you going to convince Unionists to join a UI if we treat the things that are important to them with the same disrespect they show all things irish. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 27, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
The poppy is a symbol of a martial society . The British war machine still sends young men to die in pointless wars. The ones who don't die are often maimed either physically or mentally. The Sun salutes their bravery but isn't there when the marriage breaks down or at the moment of suicide. Solemnity doesn't come into it.

Again it's a charity, set up to remember the first world... don't dress it up or give it any other attention...

Plenty countries sending young men and women out to wars, been doing it for thousands of years. I doubt you have any sympathy for the deaths maimed the marriage breakdowns or suicides
Not withstanding the abuse of the poppy by unionists/loyalists here, across the water it does good work with ex soldiers. Nationalists can sometimes become so fixated on atrocities committed by the army here that they have a closed mind on this. At the end of the day the lads who join the army as ordinary soldiers very often do so to get a trade or just a decent living. Britain does not look after its soldiers well, nor does the US and so vetrans charities are necessary. Like so much of our relationship with all things British the Irish relationship with the British army is not straight forward. even the actions of soldiers in NI can be laid at the door of political ineptitude. As nationalists and republicans we need to exercise some common sense, how are you going to convince Unionists to join a UI if we treat the things that are important to them with the same disrespect they show all things irish. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Has your account been hacked? 2 in a row from you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2017, 11:46:20 AM

What? I'm fairly consistent. I wouldn't ever wear a poppy, but you can't demand respect but not give it, that's the preserve of the DUP.

Milltown Row2

2 in a row that i agree with

Hectic

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 27, 2017, 02:04:16 PM

What? I'm fairly consistent. I wouldn't ever wear a poppy, but you can't demand respect but not give it, that's the preserve of the DUP.

Main issue is not whether or not the money raised is put to good use but rather the way the propaganda machine has went into full swing since the most recent invasion of Iraq.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hectic on September 27, 2017, 03:14:39 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 27, 2017, 02:04:16 PM

Main issue is not whether or not the money raised is put to good use but rather the way the propaganda machine has went into full swing since the most recent invasion of Iraq.
different issue

Hectic

Main issue in Britain that is. Generally it was observed or ignored then the whole thing was hijacked to pull public sentiment towards the military and with it the failing British foreign policy. More complex than just that but this has had the effect of pushing many of those who were indifferent to it against it.

seafoid

Squaddies and prostitutes have poor life expectancy over in the UK
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2017, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 25, 2017, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2017, 10:48:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 09:56:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2017, 11:21:34 PM
Jesus! The paranoia is early again this year! People wear poppies people wear lillies who actually gives a f**k?

I've never heard of people being pretty much obliged to wear lilies on TV shows of playing football. So not the same.

Anyone that wears a poppy on the BBC wears it cause they want too, if they don't want to they won't... so take that issue up with them

Not sure about that

Well more fool them for wearing it, purely personal choice as legally you don't have to. I could be wrong there but I doubt it very much... obviously if they are wearing against their "stance" then they are numpties

agree with that. Was it jon snow who coined the term poppy fascism?

Milltown Row2

I've read more and more ex service men who are feeling that the Poppy Charity has become more corporate (as do all large charity companies) but thats more of a Britain thing rather than over here rub your noses in it (not all by the way)

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2017, 10:59:36 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 25, 2017, 10:53:01 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2017, 10:48:02 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 09:56:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2017, 11:21:34 PM
Jesus! The paranoia is early again this year! People wear poppies people wear lillies who actually gives a f**k?

I've never heard of people being pretty much obliged to wear lilies on TV shows of playing football. So not the same.

Anyone that wears a poppy on the BBC wears it cause they want too, if they don't want to they won't... so take that issue up with them

Not sure about that

Well more fool them for wearing it, purely personal choice as legally you don't have to. I could be wrong there but I doubt it very much... obviously if they are wearing against their "stance" then they are numpties
I think that's unfair.  I know for a fact Thomas Niblock wasn't allowed in front of a camera by the BBC during these months because he refused to wear a poppy.  You could argue that it could hinder your career due to a reduced profile, and therefore see how others in the media are maybe forced in to wearing it "against their stance" as you say.  I wouldn't say people like that are numpties.

armaghniac

Quote from: HiMucker on September 28, 2017, 09:19:06 AM
I think that's unfair.  I know for a fact Thomas Niblock wasn't allowed in front of a camera by the BBC during these months because he refused to wear a poppy.  You could argue that it could hinder your career due to a reduced profile, and therefore see how others in the media are maybe forced in to wearing it "against their stance" as you say.  I wouldn't say people like that are numpties.

Once again, with all the fair employment stuff, which could penalise you for wearing a GAA jersey, how are the BBC able to get away with this?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on September 28, 2017, 09:51:01 AM
Quote from: HiMucker on September 28, 2017, 09:19:06 AM

Once again, with all the fair employment stuff, which could penalise you for wearing a GAA jersey, how are the BBC able to get away with this?
Agree. This shit shouldn't be allowed. I have no issue with people wearing a poppy but nobody should be forced into wearing one because they play for an English soccer team or because they are working for the BBC.

BennyCake

The Poppy appeal is being prioritised in the media because the government want it pushed. Why is one charity prioritised over countless others? Like I said before, it's counter productive for the government. The more it's pushed, the less work and money they have to do to support their troops. The appeal does that for them.