Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Hey piglet - did pearse sell out the country and hand over the keys? Maybe you don't understand diplomacy
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 12, 2015, 02:40:53 PM
Pearse was cosying up to Germany a few generations before the EU was ever heard of.
Hardly surprising given the circumstances. Tone was cosying up to France. O Neill was cosying up to Spain. The Great Game works like that.

Red Hugh O'Donnell was cosying up to England when it suited him. As was O'Neill, who after all is an ancestor of Churchill.

Not to mention Art McMurrough.

That is Ireland to a 'T'.

Romantic Ireland is a powerful image, but it all ultimately comes down to me, me, me.
MWWSI 2017

Pub Bore

Quote from: Orior on November 12, 2015, 08:54:46 PM
Frostbit Boy

TUV's Sammy Morrison

Boys o' dear, ya wuddn't be lang sangin the Queen so ya wuddn't

Eamonnca1

Pearse was cosying up to Germany a few generations before the EU was ever heard of.

So was the UVF.

stew

Quote from: general_lee on November 11, 2015, 11:42:18 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on November 11, 2015, 11:11:16 PM
Are there any more out there used to remember the wars and the dead?
I wear the invisible poppy myself, where I choose to not remember any wars; and if anything I recall the British military actions here and then get angry for a bit.

BEST POST EVER ON THIS SITE!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Jim_Murphy_74

Rotund man from Portadown seen buying poppies from his elderly neighbour.

/Jim.

Denn Forever

Quote from: Rossfan on November 12, 2015, 03:36:18 PM
Am I correct in thinking only Albania and North Korea now live in isolationist bubbles pretending no other Countries exist?

I think it is only NK now.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on November 13, 2015, 08:44:15 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2015, 02:43:30 PM
Hardly surprising given the circumstances. Tone was cosying up to France. O Neill was cosying up to Spain. The Great Game works like that.

Red Hugh O'Donnell was cosying up to England when it suited him. As was O'Neill, who after all is an ancestor of Churchill.

Not to mention Art McMurrough.

That is Ireland to a 'T'.

Romantic Ireland is a powerful image, but it all ultimately comes down to me, me, me.
It was worth fighting for in the 16th century. Cos it is different. England went down a different road of conquest and Empire. The English way is to force things through regardless of what the plebs want. And England has reached the end of one particular road in some style this year. There is a report out that says half of the UK budget deficit goes back to deindustrialisation in the 1980s.

Gravity always wins.

When it comes to power nobody has any dignity. It was a privilege to be alive for the great crash of Fianna Fail.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Bearded One

My office is awash with Poppy's, Poppy wrist bands, Poppy badges and today I noticed a Poppy pen.
It is what it is. Presumably.

lolafrola

I had this conversation with a company director last night and he said they have banned all emblems from their work place and it is a sack-able offence to wear anything like that to work. Where do you draw the line? If you say a Poppy is okay and then the next guy wears an Easter Lily which would cause offence to some.
Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them on the way back down.

Hectic

Yeah radio phone ins always dredge the bottom of the pond.  I was laughing last week as there was a discussion about boycotting Israeli goods.  First two callers were saying they were now going out of their way to buy Israeli goods but their similarities did not end there - they were both angry when they hit the airwaves and they both resorted to shouting down anyone who had a different view to them on air.  Interesting as neither really had any rational points apart from a desire to side with Israel which is their own prerogative but felt the need to be forceful in the extreme with these views in a radio phone in context.  Would not want to be taking these shows too seriously otherwise you would end up with a fairly warped view of society.

snoopdog

Wouldn't even know what an Israeli good would be. ? How do you go out of your way to buy them?

tonto1888

Quote from: snoopdog on November 08, 2016, 12:36:52 PM
Wouldn't even know what an Israeli good would be. ? How do you go out of your way to buy them?

they generally say made in Israel on them