Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: gallsman on November 14, 2014, 07:51:22 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 04:41:24 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 13, 2014, 02:50:38 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 13, 2014, 02:30:52 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 13, 2014, 02:24:24 PM
No wonder this country is fucked,  if we're not fighting the brits we're fighting each other!!!  The Fighting Irish....ye can't beat it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_qHP7VaZE

No man left behind....that's the irish way eh?  ::)

More like the "I'm alright Jack" mentality we've come to know and love. Free Staters know nothing else but love to sit on their soapbox and tell those they left behind that they are out of order.

People like Rossfan would re-join the commonwealth in a heartbeat if there was a few quid in it for them.

You sell the idea of unity to them so well.
were folks supposed to be 'selling' unity to unionists/loyalists on the poppy thread?

only selling here was 'selling out' !!   :)

Ffs what are you on about? A bunch of blithering idiots have turned a relatively sensible discussion about the poppy into a discussion of partition. Then you have people talking about unification and abusing southerners in the same breath. Who in their right mind would want to unify with that kind of nonsense?

While I agree that many, possibly a majority, in the south have for decades turned their backs on us northerners, carrying a big f**king chip on our shoulders towards the people we aim to unify with and being abusive about it isn't going to help things, is it?
Well said!

muppet

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2014, 01:58:25 PM
No wonder this country is fucked,  if we're not fighting the brits we're fighting each other!!!  The Fighting Irish....ye can't beat it!!!

More like the "I'm alright Jack" mentality we've come to know and love. Free Staters know nothing else but love to sit on their soapbox and tell those they left behind that they are out of order.

People like Rossfan would re-join the commonwealth in a heartbeat if there was a few quid in it for them.

were folks supposed to be 'selling' unity to unionists/loyalists on the poppy thread?

Ffs what are you on about? A bunch of blithering idiots have turned a relatively sensible discussion about the poppy into a discussion of partition. Then you have people talking about unification and abusing southerners in the same breath. Who in their right mind would want to unify with that kind of nonsense?

While I agree that many, possibly a majority, in the south have for decades turned their backs on us northerners, carrying a big f**king chip on our shoulders towards the people we aim to unify with and being abusive about it isn't going to help things, is it?
Well said!

I have read some strange arguments against unification (and thus for partition) on the board over the years, but this was probably the daftest:

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2013, 05:10:36 AM
So if you stop a Guard in the 26 Counties asking for directions,is it a statutory requirement that you have to produce valid Car Insurance? Another reason I'll be thinking twice about my voting intentions in Sinn Fein's a border poll!
MWWSI 2017

Pub Bore

Bump...the real thread

Seen a pappy there!

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Pub Bore on October 27, 2015, 02:46:41 PM
Bump...the real thread

Seen a pappy there!
I have seen a few about Belfast this week.
Not the paper ones, the little lapel pin jobs
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omaghjoe

Quote from: muppet on November 16, 2014, 03:50:55 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2014, 01:58:25 PM

Well said!

I have read some strange arguments against unification (and thus for partition) on the board over the years, but this was probably the daftest:

Quote from: T Fearon on April 06, 2013, 05:10:36 AM
So if you stop a Guard in the 26 Counties asking for directions,is it a statutory requirement that you have to produce valid Car Insurance? Another reason I'll be thinking twice about my voting intentions in Sinn Fein's a border poll!

Well I never is this true? I had no idea

Thats the final nail in the coffin for a UI for me

Thank heavens Tony has pointed it out

GJL

deiseach

Estimator

Conor McGregor has been getting a bit of abuse over his wearing of the poppy.
This is his response:

I know where my allegiance lies and what I do for my country.
I don't need a stupid little flower with a 100 different meanings to tell me if I do or do not represent my country.
Check the facts of its original meaning.
ALL soldiers. ALL wars.
I have the blood of many nations on my gloves. Fought and beat on the world stage.
You have a pint in your hand and a Celtic jersey on in your local. f**k you and the Queen.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Kursk

Quote from: Estimator on October 29, 2015, 08:27:39 PM
This is his response:

I don't need a stupid little flower with a 100 different meanings to tell me if I do or do not represent my country.
ALL soldiers. ALL wars.
I have the blood of many nations on my gloves. Fought and beat on the world stage.
You have a pint in your hand and a Celtic jersey on in your local. f**k you and the Queen.

He is just a lackey for British imperialism and he worships the mighty dollar. why should anyone care what he thinks ?

I'll bet he would run a mile if confronted with a real life, no rules situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Vg-US5JX0

The Iceman

Quote from: Kursk on October 29, 2015, 09:41:28 PM
This is his response:

ALL soldiers. ALL wars.

He is just a lackey for British imperialism and he worships the mighty dollar. why should anyone care what he thinks ?

You make this assumption based on what?

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

trileacman

Quote from: The Iceman on October 29, 2015, 10:32:28 PM
Quote from: Kursk on October 29, 2015, 09:41:28 PM
This is his response:

ALL soldiers. ALL wars.

You make this assumption based on what?

Because he's a sensationalist gobshite with an extremely over-inflated sense of self-worth. "I know what I do for my country". FFS get over yourself man. Imagine a proper Irish sporting hero coming out with that shit say Paul O'Connell or Bernard Brogan, we'd be cringing for our dead worth.

I'm not a staunch Republican but going around like he's some great Irish hero draped in the tricolour and then defending wearing the poppy highlights his cheap naked cynicism. It's all a show to gather up money. His greed, not his patriotism is his defining characteristic.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

The Iceman

How does that address him running in a real life no rules situation?
He's a prize fighter after the coin. Ali was everything McGregor was when it came to showboating and running his mouth. But it's more the last point I was challenging that he would run a mile in a real life no rules situation...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Kursk

Quote from: The Iceman on October 29, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
How does that address him running in a real life no rules situation?
He's a prize fighter after the coin. Ali was everything McGregor was when it came to showboating and running his mouth. But it's more the last point I was challenging that he would run a mile in a real life no rules situation...

He wears the poppy with a full awareness of its significance. If a man cant take a stand against a symbol with such a divisive image in his own country do you honestly believe he would stand up in a real world situation ?