Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: illdecide on November 10, 2014, 03:37:55 PM
Remembrance day is held on the 2nd Sunday of November, I had to Google it there to find out the exact date as people are still wearing them today and found it's actually the 11th November...Is it safe to assume after tomorrow we won't see them again until October next year?
I wouldn't bet on it, they tend to be an all year round thing for some of our PUL fellow Irishmen.

deiseach

I've only anecdotal evidence to support this, but this year the poppy wearing didn't seem to push earlier in October like it has been doing in previous years. Perhaps we've reached peak poppy.

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 02:46:44 PM
I've only anecdotal evidence to support this, but this year the poppy wearing didn't seem to push earlier in October like it has been doing in previous years. Perhaps we've reached peak poppy.
No they were there at the same time, it just took someone longer to notice, be offended and post on this page.

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 11, 2014, 02:48:39 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 11, 2014, 02:46:44 PM
No they were there at the same time, it just took someone longer to notice, be offended and post on this page.

;D

blewuporstuffed

So do people stop wearing poppies now that armistice day is over?

We had a 2 minutes silence at work today, marked by an announcemne on the tannoy to signal its start & finish
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Rossfan

Quote from: LeoMc on November 11, 2014, 02:29:53 PM
. What is the significance of a laurel wreath as opposed to a poppy wreath?

1 - it's not a British poppy
2- it's green
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

illdecide

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 11, 2014, 02:53:47 PM
So do people stop wearing poopies now that armistice day is over?

We had a 2 minutes silence at work today, marked by an announcemne on the tannoy to signal its start & finish

R u serious? who do you work for Peter Robinson?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: illdecide on November 11, 2014, 04:09:58 PM

I am serious.
An email went round to say it was personal choice wether we observed it or not.
I work for a 'non-departmental public body'
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyCake

I think you just wanted a two minute break from work.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 11, 2014, 04:14:08 PM

I am serious.
Did you make any noise? It'd be great craic if anybody's phone went off.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

theskull1

In these reflections of the tragedy of war has there been one single comment about the civilization war dead as a result of recent foreign occupations by the US and British?

Should we remember them?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

muppet

Quote from: theskull1 on November 11, 2014, 11:24:31 PM
In these reflections of the tragedy of war has there been one single comment about the civilization war dead as a result of recent foreign occupations by the US and British?

Should we remember them?

This post raises an interesting question.

When did civilian deaths start to matter?
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 11, 2014, 08:12:50 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 11, 2014, 04:14:08 PM

I am serious.
Did you make any noise? It'd be great craic if anybody's phone went off.
I carried on working as normal, as did most people.
There actually wasnt even that many people wearing poppies.

Applesisapples

My final word for this year. My uncle died in WWII. I wouldn't wear a poppy. My reason is simply that I am Irish and it is a British thing. For those who want to wear poppies in Ireland North or South it is fine when for the right reasons. Unfortunately as we all know a bit like orange parades it's great that you can annoy someone by doing so. In my eyes wearing a poppy in that context demeans and undermines the sacrifices it is meant to represent. As Irish people we all myself included can not quite bring ourselves to embrace some aspects of the culture of our British neighbours. Their armies and conflicts form part of their heritage for better or worse. Many British soldiers would not want to be in Iraq, Afghanistan etc... But they do so out of a sense of duty which again as an Irishman I can't understand. In this day and age though shouldn't we be able to accept that this is part of our neighbours culture, are we not able to forgive and move on? At the end of the day many of us are happy to go to work in the UK, we support their PL teams like we were born in that town, just because we can't understand it doesn't make it wrong. Separate out those annoying PUL/DUP/UUP representatives scoring political points with it, (not unlike some of the Shinners butchering Irish), separate out the motives of the British Government and understand that ordinary Scots, ordinary Welsh people and ordinary English people support the Poppy campaign for very good reasons, their sons their daughters and indeed the sons and daughters of many an Irish family have died in uniform and they are proud of them. Don't wear one if like me it makes you uncomfortable. Finally,finally the only thing worse than a unionist using the poppy for political reasons are those in the SDLP who were laying wreaths on Sunday and wore one for exactly the same reasons.

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on November 11, 2014, 11:28:49 PM
This post raises an interesting question.

When did civilian deaths start to matter?

They only matter when "the other side" cause them.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM