Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 10, 2014, 03:38:58 PM
It's held on Armistace day isn't it? 11th of the 11th at 11am.

I think you mean "It's held on Armistace day, innit?"

We should all try to be more british, lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

foxcommander

Quote from: Tubberman on November 10, 2014, 02:32:03 PM
There was a women wearing one in the canteen where I work today - in Dublin.
In fairness, she was an English women only over for the day.

Ignorance isn't an excuse. I've seen plenty of brits in work wearing poppies and seem oblivious that it offends or they enjoy the wind-up.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Myles Na G.

Quote from: foxcommander on November 10, 2014, 06:40:56 PM

Ignorance isn't an excuse. I've seen plenty of brits in work wearing poppies and seem oblivious that it offends or they enjoy the wind-up.
People are entitled to wear a poppy if they want to. It's the pressure placed on people to wear one that annoys me.

michaelg

Was walking past a catholic church in East Belfast on Saturday night and saw a number of the congregation wearing poppies.  Were they on the wind-up too? 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: BennyCake on November 08, 2014, 07:06:27 PM
Quote from: red hander on November 08, 2014, 04:22:06 PM
James McClean doesn't have to justify himself to anyone over his decision. The fact he felt he needed to is proof, if any was required, of the attitude of poppy fascism that is all pervasive at this time of year

True. The poppies on football shirts is the stupidest looking thing and should have no place in sport.

That is only a recent phenomenon isn't it?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

After tomorrow we can put this thread to bed for a bit. And everyone that is offended can be offended about something else.

It's a good thing we have our health and a computer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MK

Quote from: michaelg on November 10, 2014, 06:57:11 PM

Was walking past a catholic church in East Belfast on Saturday night and saw a number of the congregation wearing poppies.  Were they on the wind-up too? 

I have seen numerous East Belfast people wearing Glasgow Rangers Poppy badges,UFF poppy badges,Rangers Poppy wristbands,Chelsea Headhunter poppy badges to name but a few.

Surely these were on the wind up too......or did I miss their contributions to the Great War???

michaelg

Quote from: MK on November 10, 2014, 07:50:40 PM

I have seen numerous East Belfast people wearing Glasgow Rangers Poppy badges,UFF poppy badges,Rangers Poppy wristbands,Chelsea Headhunter poppy badges to name but a few.

Surely these were on the wind up too......or did I miss their contributions to the Great War???
I was not talking about the fuckwits that you speak of.  I was referring to the, presumably, catholic parishioners wearing a poppy to their church.  Were they on the wind-up / trying to piss people off?   

armaghniac

Wearing a poppy in a country occupied by the British is bad manners at any time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on November 10, 2014, 09:40:05 PM

Wearing a poppy in a country occupied by the British is bad manners at any time.
Fair enough, if that's your opinion.  However, you have not really addressed my question.  Not everyone who wears a poppy is on the wind-up or seeking to offend. 

muppet

Quote from: michaelg on November 10, 2014, 10:59:44 PM

Fair enough, if that's your opinion.  However, you have not really addressed my question.  Not everyone who wears a poppy is on the wind-up or seeking to offend.

Not everyone dressed as a Nazi is either:

MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2014, 11:30:04 PM

judging by your past contributions to the Israel/Palestine threads
I thought you and Seafoid would approve of Harry's outfit...No?

muppet

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on November 11, 2014, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2014, 11:30:04 PM

judging by your past contributions to the Israel/Palestine threads
I thought you and Seafoid would approve of Harry's outfit...No?

I am surprised you aren't calling Prince Harry an anti-semite. That is your form isn't it? You call people anti-semites for far less. You know, for things like criticising Israel for bombing UN Schools and things like that. Shame on us. Those children deserve to die, isn't that right Sheehy?

BTW nice to see you stalking me as well as Seafoid again. I missed it.
MWWSI 2017

LeoMc

A quick question before this thread gets put to bed for another year or decends into another bitch fest (see above posts).
On sundays news coverage it refered to Enda laying a laurel wreath in Enniskillen, another Irishh government rep (the tanaiste?) laid a laurel wreath in Belfast. What is the significance of a laurel wreath as opposed to a poppy wreath?

muppet

Quote from: LeoMc on November 11, 2014, 02:29:53 PM
A quick question before this thread gets put to bed for another year or decends into another bitch fest (see above posts).
On sundays news coverage it refered to Enda laying a laurel wreath in Enniskillen, another Irishh government rep (the tanaiste?) laid a laurel wreath in Belfast. What is the significance of a laurel wreath as opposed to a poppy wreath?

Ask Hardy.
MWWSI 2017