Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: red hander on November 08, 2014, 04:22:06 PM
James McClean doesn't have to justify himself to anyone over his decision. The fact he felt he needed to is proof, if any was required, of the attitude of poppy fascism that is all pervasive at this time of year

Nail on the head.

tiempo

The river of poppies (not posting a photo, its pish). Not a hint of irony for the river of blood spend by British forces in the middle east, innocent victims on both sides, the arabs and "boys" sent to the front line to do the spineless politicians bidding.

CD

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2014, 04:50:50 PM
James McClean doesn't have to justify himself to anyone over his decision. The fact he felt he needed to is proof, if any was required, of the attitude of poppy fascism that is all pervasive at this time of year

Nail on the head.
+1 fair play to McClean and to Wigan for managing and diffusing the controversy so much more effectively than Sunderland did
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

BennyCake

True. The poppies on football shirts is the stupidest looking thing and should have no place in sport.

muppet

I have changed my mind somewhat on this particular issue.

Recently I was in a country where they were everywhere, including on Irish barmen. It annoyed me no end, especially with a few drinks on me.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Any reaction from Dave 'we owe Mrs Thatcher a minute's silence' Whelan to McClean's letter?

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2014, 02:12:48 PM

Recently I was in a country where they were everywhere, including on Irish barmen. It annoyed me no end, especially with a few drinks on me.

Where was that? I think I'd ask the barmen why they were wearing it. Not in a confrontational way, but out of interest. Was it in Canada?

Tubberman

There was a women wearing one in the canteen where I work today - in Dublin.
In fairness, she was an English women only over for the day.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 10, 2014, 02:29:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 10, 2014, 02:12:48 PM

Where was that? I think I'd ask the barmen why they were wearing it. Not in a confrontational way, but out of interest. Was it in Canada?

I didn't ask. I couldn't understand how he would wear it and presumed it was required for work.

But they were everywhere you went.

And good guess.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: deiseach on November 10, 2014, 02:19:13 PM
Any reaction from Dave 'we owe Mrs Thatcher a minute's silence' Whelan to McClean's letter?

Whelan I think said he accepted McClean's decision. . . were we expecting some kind of backlash from him?

AZOffaly

The Canadians seem to be behind the poppy quite a bit, and in fairness they do seem to be very focussed on the WWI aspect of it, as opposed to the more holistic 'Defence Forces' view of things in Blighty.

An Irishman wearing a poppy in Canada to commemorate the Canadian dead of WWI wouldn't be as strange to me as an Irishman in England wearing one to commemorate all the British Army servicemen.

deiseach

Quote from: screenexile on November 10, 2014, 02:41:13 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 10, 2014, 02:19:13 PM

Whelan I think said he accepted McClean's decision. . . were we expecting some kind of backlash from him?

I don't mind admitting I was hoping he'd say something intemperate. If he's accepted it in public, then fair play to him.

illdecide

Remembrance day is held on the 2nd Sunday of November, I had to Google it there to find out the exact date as people are still wearing them today and found it's actually the 11th November...Is it safe to assume after tomorrow we won't see them again until October next year?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AZOffaly

It's held on Armistace day isn't it? 11th of the 11th at 11am.