Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

When Ryanair opened their Belfast routes O'Leary appeared in an NI football shirt.He said We don't fly from Brazil We Fly from Northern Ireland

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2014, 09:42:58 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2014, 09:27:01 AM
Quote from: Feckitt on November 03, 2014, 09:23:57 AM
Michael O'Leary on BBC Business Breakfast News this morning.  I doubt it very much if the bould Michael already had one on when he arrived at the BBC studio.
Is it a sign of progress and maturity that we've got to November 3rd this year before the first posting on this thread?

We are no longer the laughing stock of Europe.

Matured as a nation????

/Jim.

Applesisapples

Where did I mention nation?

Orior

Michael O'Leary on BBC Business Breakfast News this morning.  I doubt it very much if the bould Michael already had one on when he arrived at the BBC studio.
Is it a sign of progress and maturity that we've got to November 3rd this year before the first posting on this thread?

On the other hand, when will the britsh finally stop this nonsense?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on November 03, 2014, 01:28:43 PM

It is only nonsense when you look at it from an Irish Nationalist perspective. At the end of the day the British Legion in Britain does good work with soldiers who are discarded by the establishment by and large when they can no longer serve. They have capitalised to an extent on this failure and use the appeal to raise funds very successfully. Unfortunately here in the North it has been badly served by unionist and loyalists who use it as a symbol of dominance.

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2014, 02:07:40 PM

It is only nonsense when you look at it from an Irish Nationalist perspective. At the end of the day the British Legion in Britain does good work with soldiers who are discarded by the establishment by and large when they can no longer serve. They have capitalised to an extent on this failure and use the appeal to raise funds very successfully. Unfortunately here in the North it has been badly served by unionist and loyalists who use it as a symbol of dominance.

Germans manage remembrance much better.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Why is it always the Poppys.

Where are the Mommys?

Rule 1: Rule 1 applies;
Rule 2: See rule 1;
MWWSI 2017

Applesisapples

Quote from: Orior on November 03, 2014, 04:11:05 PM

Germans manage remembrance much better.
In your opinion but each to their own. Sure the Shinners mimic it with the Easter Lily campaign every Easter.

BennyCake

Exactly. Soldiers who suffer in battle are therefore neglected by the government they fought for. Which is why the Poppy is pushed so much. A charity looks after the wounded rather than the Nazis that led them to war in the first place.

seafoid

A lot of ex soldiers end up homeless and alcoholic. I used to help out in a homeless centre in London and we'd see them.  A long way from the front page of the Sun. England has this really martial culture and the media are a huge part of it. If you stake a step back and look at the system as a whole young men get promises of glory, a lot get injured and then they get shafted. 

I think the poppy is hypocritical. If they really cared they'd make sure ex soldiers were supported after the army.  PTSD is not taken seriously at all. And army families often get shit accommodation, much of which has been privatised. But you won't hear anything about that at the Cenotaph. It's all plámás.

PJ Harvey's song is a much better remembrance of the horror

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfAvoVDQaAo

As is the German President's speech in Warsaw this year

http://www.bundespraesident.de/SharedDocs/Reden/EN/JoachimGauck/Reden/2014/140729-Ausstellung-Warschau-Aufstand.html
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

eddie d

They were pushing them flat out on casualty the other night

johnneycool

I've two criteria to be agreed before going to war;

1) 2% increase in Tax across all bands to cover the additional costs.
2) A close family relation of each government minister must be in the first wave of troops into battle.

Can't see there being such a rush into war if those two criteria had to be met first.

deiseach

My dad asked me the other day whether my son would be found wearing a poppy. I couldn't give him an answer. I know it's important to my wife but . . . I think I'll be kicking that can down the road.

BennyCake

Quote from: johnneycool on November 04, 2014, 09:48:18 AM

2) A close family relation of each government minister must be in the first wave of troops into battle.

Can't see there being such a rush into war if those two criteria had to be met first.

Bollix! Why should ordinary joes pay for wars started by the elites? The working classes all around the world have always been duped into fighting phoney wars without ever knowing the real reasons.

I read some of the costs of missiles being used in wherever the feck the Brits have invaded now. Hundreds of thousands and millions for each, yet nhs, education, disability cuts are happening to fund this bollix.

johnneycool

Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2014, 11:36:33 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on November 04, 2014, 09:48:18 AM

Bollix! Why should ordinary joes pay for wars started by the elites? The working classes all around the world have always been duped into fighting phoney wars without ever knowing the real reasons.

I read some of the costs of missiles being used in wherever the feck the Brits have invaded now. Hundreds of thousands and millions for each, yet nhs, education, disability cuts are happening to fund this bollix.

That's the thing, they are already, not only in monetary terms but in lives and injuries, just bring it out in the open and we'll see how many governments are in a rush to pull the trigger.