Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 16, 2013, 05:39:20 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 15, 2013, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 15, 2013, 11:08:16 PM
QuoteSeriously, what connection do you have with people who lived centuries ago? Grow up, ffs.

Well if people can claim they are "British" because of these people coming here centuries ago then perhaps it is they, rather than me, who should grow up.
Can you not just accept that some people who live in Ireland feel that they are British?  Surely it can't be too hard to get your head round?
Well you see they can't be British unless born on that other Island, otherwise they are Northern Irish and UK citizens...just to be pedantic.
As we're being pedantic, under the GFA they can most definitely be British.

Applesisapples

Joking aside there is sectarianism on all sides, the prods just do it more openly and barefaced.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 16, 2013, 05:41:40 PM
QuoteSeriously, what connection do you have with people who lived centuries ago? Grow up, ffs.

Well if people can claim they are "British" because of these people coming here centuries ago then perhaps it is they, rather than me, who should grow up.
Can you not just accept that some people who live in Ireland feel that they are British?  Surely it can't be too hard to get your head round?
Well you see they can't be British unless born on that other Island, otherwise they are Northern Irish and UK citizens...just to be pedantic.
No they can hold what is called a British Passport...which I believe says they are a Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Maguire01

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 16, 2013, 05:44:23 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 16, 2013, 05:41:40 PM

No they can hold what is called a British Passport...which I believe says they are a Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
You're wrong.

1. The participants endorse the commitment made by the British and Irish Governments that, in a new British-Irish Agreement replacing the Anglo-Irish Agreement, they will:

(vi) recognise the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

michaelg

Just to add to Pedants Corner, does that , mean people from the Scottish isles, the Isle of Wight etc can't call themselves British either?

Rossfan

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2013, 06:30:48 PM
Just to add to Pedants Corner, does that , mean people from the Scottish isles, the Isle of Wight etc can't call themselves British either?
And to pedant some more - whatabout (:o :o) decent people from the said Isles ??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dillinger

[/quote]

f**k them, just wish there was a big enough boat to ship all the c***ts back to England at the same time. up the ra.
[/quote]

Charlie Tully.
Hero Member it says.

Should really say ****.

charlieTully

Quote from: dillinger on November 16, 2013, 11:02:06 PM

f**k them, just wish there was a big enough boat to ship all the c***ts back to England at the same time. up the ra.
[/quote]

Charlie Tully.
Hero Member it says.

Should really say ****.
[/quote]

Ha ha ha you have made my day.  ;D

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2013, 06:30:48 PM

They most likely don't for the most part. Look pedantry aside even I would recognise the right of people to label themselves as they see fit, it isn't really an issue not that they would care what I think!

Feckitt

Michael O'Leary on BBC Business Breakfast News this morning.  I doubt it very much if the bould Michael already had one on when he arrived at the BBC studio.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Feckitt on November 03, 2014, 09:23:57 AM
Michael O'Leary on BBC Business Breakfast News this morning.  I doubt it very much if the bould Michael already had one on when he arrived at the BBC studio.
Is it a sign of progress and maturity that we've got to November 3rd this year before the first posting on this thread?

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2014, 09:27:01 AM
Is it a sign of progress and maturity that we've got to November 3rd this year before the first posting on this thread?

We are no longer the laughing stock of Europe.

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on November 03, 2014, 09:42:58 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 03, 2014, 09:27:01 AM

We are no longer the laughing stock of Europe.
You are right there, that's Cameron.

BennyCake

The annual attack on James McClean should be starting any minute..

Applesisapples

Quote from: BennyCake on November 03, 2014, 11:58:35 AM
The annual attack on James McClean should be starting any minute..
I was just saying that to my son the other evening.