Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on November 15, 2013, 11:08:16 PM
QuoteSeriously, what connection do you have with people who lived centuries ago? Grow up, ffs.

Well if people can claim they are "British" because of these people coming here centuries ago then perhaps it is they, rather than me, who should grow up.
Can you not just accept that some people who live in Ireland feel that they are British?  Surely it can't be too hard to get your head round? 

armaghniac

QuoteCan you not just accept that some people who live in Ireland feel that they are British?  Surely it can't be too hard to get your head round?

Of course I accept that there are people of a colonial disposition in Ireland, working to keep the Brutish Empire going, just as I accept that there are psychopaths, burglars, drink drivers, layabouts etc. I equally suggest that these groups would stop their anti-social activities.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2013, 12:07:54 AM
QuoteCan you not just accept that some people who live in Ireland feel that they are British?  Surely it can't be too hard to get your head round?

Of course I accept that there are people of a colonial disposition in Ireland, working to keep the Brutish Empire going, just as I accept that there are psychopaths, burglars, drink drivers, layabouts etc. I equally suggest that these groups would stop their anti-social activities.
I think your last post may just qualify as 'anti-British stuff that sometimes comes up on our side'.  As I said, despite what many nationalists and republicans may think, sectarianism and bitterness is not solely a protestant / unionist problem.

haveaharp

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 15, 2013, 10:46:59 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 15, 2013, 10:39:03 PM
QuoteWhy though does it crop up 'more than sometimes?'

Perhaps some dislike of a people who've been beating you up for almost 900 years is understandable. Sticks and stones and all that.
Are you 900 years old? If not, why are you claiming that someone has been beating you up for that length of time? Seriously, what connection do you have with people who lived centuries ago? Grow up, ffs.

I take it the same applies to the British that have a historical distaste for the French for one.

Maguire01

Quote from: haveaharp on November 16, 2013, 01:17:20 PM

Perhaps some dislike of a people who've been beating you up for almost 900 years is understandable. Sticks and stones and all that.
Are you 900 years old? If not, why are you claiming that someone has been beating you up for that length of time? Seriously, what connection do you have with people who lived centuries ago? Grow up, ffs.

I take it the same applies to the British that have a historical distaste for the French for one.
I somehow doubt the Brits are offended at the Cuisine De France counter in their local supermarket.

charlieTully

Quote from: michaelg on November 15, 2013, 11:36:26 PM
QuoteSeriously, what connection do you have with people who lived centuries ago? Grow up, ffs.

Well if people can claim they are "British" because of these people coming here centuries ago then perhaps it is they, rather than me, who should grow up.
Can you not just accept that some people who live in Ireland feel that they are British?  Surely it can't be too hard to get your head round?

f**k them, just wish there was a big enough boat to ship all the c***ts back to England at the same time. up the ra.

BennyCake

Quote from: charlieTully on November 16, 2013, 02:43:02 PM

f**k them, just wish there was a big enough boat to ship all the c***ts back to England at the same time. up the ra.

Ah yes, the Pol Pot school of thinking, although more humane  ;D

armaghniac

QuoteI take it the same applies to the British that have a historical distaste for the French for one.

The issue is not what happened in the past, the past is the past. The question is the present and whether whatever was happening in the past is still happening.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2013, 12:23:39 PM
, sectarianism and bitterness is not solely a protestant / unionist problem.
Maybe not but they've certainly cornered most of that market though. ;)
When a large number of Catholic males set up an organisation one of whose main aims is to " oppose the erroneous doctrines of Protestantism" and start holding marches in Protestant areas accompanied by Paramilitary bands and drunken louts then "we" might start getting nearer to parity on the sectarian front.
In the meantime we're happy to leave ye in the forefront of sectarianism.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister

Fear bun, leave them Wateride men alone!!! Give him the details of trasnaman and he will bring him into DoireTrasna. Good man getting him to the culturlann by the way.

I don't think your man is on his own regarding reading shite in shite papers, watching foreign teams and ignoring our national sports.

michaelg

Forced repatriation - Nice.  A policy, if I'm not mistaken, favoured by right wing parties such as the BNP in the UK.  So much for Republicanism's alleged efforts to persuade Unionists that they would be better off in a UI. 

Rossfan

Quote from: michaelg on November 16, 2013, 04:59:32 PM

Forced repatriation - Nice.  A policy, if I'm not mistaken, favoured by right wing parties such as the BNP in the UK.  So much for Republicanism's alleged efforts to persuade Unionists that they would be better off in a UI.
One clown on a discussion forum = "Republicanism" !!! ::)
Expected better from you MichaelĂ­n.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haveaharp

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 16, 2013, 02:40:39 PM
Quote from: haveaharp on November 16, 2013, 01:17:20 PM

I somehow doubt the Brits are offended at the Cuisine De France counter in their local supermarket.

Not as much as the Rossies anyway

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/international_football/16438/drunken-irishman-urinated-on-french-bread-in-protest-at-henry-handball.html

haveaharp

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2013, 03:05:40 PM
QuoteI take it the same applies to the British that have a historical distaste for the French for one.

The issue is not what happened in the past, the past is the past. The question is the present and whether whatever was happening in the past is still happening.

We know that, however Myles was saying that our present attitudes should not be shaped by what happened centuries ago. Does the same apply to Brit attitudes towards the French ? To be fair to the British (the ones over the water) they aren't dressing up for 4 months a year and tramping around Calais making tits of themselves.

Applesisapples

Well you see they can't be British unless born on that other Island, otherwise they are Northern Irish and UK citizens...just to be pedantic.