Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: red hander on November 09, 2013, 06:16:23 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 09, 2013, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 09, 2013, 03:32:55 PM
we getting too worried about the poppy lads, it shouldn't bother us, was in ballymoney the day and there was alot of poppies all round, tesco staff, selling alot in tesco,shop owners and alot of customers, doesnt worry me, if they want to wear one so be it, i dont give out to those who do, i probably know more about the origins of the poppy than alot of the people who may wear it to feel british and not necessary to support what the poppy was originally intended to fund.
I love the casual assumptions made about why people wear poppies.  If as you say, most simply wear a poppy to feel British, do you not think that this may in part be a reaction to Nationalists' long-standing opposition to them?

That long-standing opposition might have something to do with the fact this divisive symbol also encompasses Black N Tans and Auxilliaries (murdering thugs sanctioned by central government), UDR and RUC members (colluding b**tards sanctioned by central government), members of the Parachute Regiment (more murdering b**tards sanctioned by central government). A huge amount of unionists in the statelet rushed to join reserved occupations the second Adolf set foot in Poland, don't forget. And those nationalists that did volunteer got absolutely no thanks for it after the war by being denied employment and housing ... do you want me to paint you a picture? Idiot
Lots of talk about murderers from the man who frequently voices his support for the murderers of the IRA.  ::)

glens abu

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 09, 2013, 06:43:44 PM
we getting too worried about the poppy lads, it shouldn't bother us, was in ballymoney the day and there was alot of poppies all round, tesco staff, selling alot in tesco,shop owners and alot of customers, doesnt worry me, if they want to wear one so be it, i dont give out to those who do, i probably know more about the origins of the poppy than alot of the people who may wear it to feel british and not necessary to support what the poppy was originally intended to fund.
I love the casual assumptions made about why people wear poppies.  If as you say, most simply wear a poppy to feel British, do you not think that this may in part be a reaction to Nationalists' long-standing opposition to them?

That long-standing opposition might have something to do with the fact this divisive symbol also encompasses Black N Tans and Auxilliaries (murdering thugs sanctioned by central government), UDR and RUC members (colluding b**tards sanctioned by central government), members of the Parachute Regiment (more murdering b**tards sanctioned by central government). A huge amount of unionists in the statelet rushed to join reserved occupations the second Adolf set foot in Poland, don't forget. And those nationalists that did volunteer got absolutely no thanks for it after the war by being denied employment and housing ... do you want me to paint you a picture? Idiot
Lots of talk about murderers from the man who frequently voices his support for the murderers of the IRA.  ::)
[/quote

If the IRA was going for another 100 years they would still be a long long way behind the killing machine of the British Army

haveaharp

Quote from: Tonto on November 09, 2013, 09:31:55 AM
I was in France and Belgium over the summer and visited the war graves for the first time.  These are maintained beautifully by the CWGC who visit each and every cemetery once a week in order to maintain the graves.  If that's not worth supporting (or at the VERY least, not opposing), then I don't know what is.

The graves I saw contained the remains of people from our own parishes... And that goes for all of us, whether we live in Castlereagh, the Falls, Strabane, Dublin or Cork.

This thread is bloody depressing.

What is your view Tonto on the occupations of Iraq and Afghanistan, do you feel that the reasons used for invasion and the continued presence was/is justified and the Britain has a role to play on its own or with American help in interfering around the world where there is commercial gain to be had ? I think a lot of the guys on this thread object to the modern involvement and have no problem with folk remembering their war dead from ww1 and ww2 but wont necessarily wear the poppy themselves due to its modern symbolism.

Rossfan

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 09, 2013, 06:43:44 PM

His point is still very valid and 100% spot on.
I wonder do the uberBrit Unionists ever ask themselves why there was no conscription in the North during WW2?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

QuoteLots of talk about murderers from the man who frequently voices his support for the murderers of the IRA.

When it comes to murder, those who poppies commemorate put the IRA in the ha'penny place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Myles Na G.

Quote from: armaghniac on November 09, 2013, 10:12:27 PM
QuoteLots of talk about murderers from the man who frequently voices his support for the murderers of the IRA.

When it comes to murder, those who poppies commemorate put the IRA in the ha'penny place.
Murderers are murderers. Doesn't really matter who's top of the killing league.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 09, 2013, 10:47:19 PM

You've conveniently changed your tune.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on June 18, 2010, 11:04:23 PM
Who killed more Catholics than the British forces? The IRA. Who outkilled every other armed grouping? The IRA. Get your heads out of yer republican arses, lads.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 10, 2009, 07:12:22 AM
As for the IRA killing Catholics, sure that's a matter of public record. They killed more Catholics than any other group in the course of the conflict here.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 06, 2010, 04:51:11 PM
The bombs which killed and maimed hundreds were planted mainly by the cowardly murdering w**k£r of the IRA.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 16, 2009, 05:11:08 PM
these were the protectors who killed more Catholics than the loyalists and the Brits.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteMurderers are murderers. Doesn't really matter who's top of the killing league.

Tell that to the BBC, who are using public money to commemorate these people.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2013, 11:24:04 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 09, 2013, 10:47:19 PM

You've conveniently changed your tune.

Who killed more Catholics than the British forces? The IRA. Who outkilled every other armed grouping? The IRA. Get your heads out of yer republican arses, lads.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 10, 2009, 07:12:22 AM
As for the IRA killing Catholics, sure that's a matter of public record. They killed more Catholics than any other group in the course of the conflict here.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 06, 2010, 04:51:11 PM
The bombs which killed and maimed hundreds were planted mainly by the cowardly murdering w**k£r of the IRA.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 16, 2009, 05:11:08 PM
these were the protectors who killed more Catholics than the loyalists and the Brits.
The debate's moved on. Then, the context was whether the IRA were protectors of the Catholic population or murderers. Now we have provo apologists like Red Hander conceding that the provos were murderers, just not as prolific as the British Army. I see that as progress.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 09, 2013, 11:40:47 PM
The debate's moved on. Then, the context was whether the IRA were protectors of the Catholic population or murderers. Now we have provo apologists like Red Hander conceding that the provos were murderers, just not as prolific as the British Army. I see that as progress.

This comment:
Who outkilled every other armed grouping? The IRA.
...was made in a thread about Bloody Sunday and the British Army. It is a succinct phrase from you about which armed group killed more people, not about which group killed more Catholics. Yet as soon as it's pointed out that the British Army murdered vastly more people than the IRA, then suddenly...

Somebody take the shovel off this hypocrite.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

BennyCake

Yeovil v Wigan tomorrow. All eyes will be on James McClean, if he plays.

Shamrock Shore

From yesterday's Irish Times..... ???

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on November 10, 2013, 12:17:24 AM
yesterday's Irish Times..... ???

Lolz  ;D

I would never wear one but I didn't mind throwing a quid into a tin. When I did so I thought of the auld fellas from WWII. As these fellas disappear the only people benefitting are those after the war and into Troubles era. The quid stays in my pocket now.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2013, 11:59:29 PM

This comment:
Who outkilled every other armed grouping? The IRA.
...was made in a thread about Bloody Sunday and the British Army. It is a succinct phrase from you about which armed group killed more people, not about which group killed more Catholics. Yet as soon as it's pointed out that the British Army murdered vastly more people than the IRA, then suddenly...

Somebody take the shovel off this hypocrite.
You really need to get yourself a hobby, friend. You're spending too much time trawling through old posts - never a good sign. I stand by all those statements, btw, - I would argue that the IRA murdered many more people than the British Army in the course of the troubles, but like I said, I think it's healthy that we now have IRA apologists like yourself openly discussing the issue.

What about stamp collecting?

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 10, 2013, 12:29:09 AM
I would never wear one but I didn't mind throwing a quid into a tin. When I did so I thought of the auld fellas from WWII. As these fellas disappear the only people benefitting are those after the war and into Troubles era. The quid stays in my pocket now.

I'd feel the same way. I'll be at the Remembrance service today in Waterford where the Irish defence forces will be part of the proceedings. None of them will be wearing a poppy.