Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 06, 2013, 10:23:25 AM
Were both Roy and Martin wearing them last night?  Anything to keep your employers happy.

What you mean keep their employers happy???????

Martin O Neill i reckon he would have one on all year if he had the chance.

theticklemister

Big Packie Bonner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EC Unique

Eamonnca1

Quote from: EC Unique on November 07, 2013, 07:51:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24851450

"We shall remember"

And what, pray tell, does that have to do with the ones that were sent into the grinder in Flanders?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 08, 2013, 04:51:13 AM

"We shall remember"

And what, pray tell, does that have to do with the ones that were sent into the grinder in Flanders?
Why should his post be about Flanders?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

deiseach

My wife was watching the daily Strictly Come Dancing show and she noticed that the contestants and dancers were wearing poppies while being interviewed but not while on the floor training. "Someone is pinning them on when they're on camera!", she exclaimed. Well, duh. Cue several minutes of muttering that it shouldn't be forced on anyone like that. I was astonished that she was astonished.

glens abu

"We shall remember"

Because the money raised goes towards those in this clip,do you really think there are still soldiers living who fought at Flanders. :oand if there are one or two how much does it take to support them.

deiseach

Going off on a tangent, my dad brought me up short this morning: "will your boy wear a poppy?" It's important to his mother. It means nothing to me. I'm sure we'll muddle on through when the time comes (it would look daft on his babygro), but has anyone here been presented with this dilemma in true Across the Barricades style? Maybe kids don't wear them?

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 09:25:31 AM
Going off on a tangent, my dad brought me up short this morning: "will your boy wear a poppy?" It's important to his mother. It means nothing to me. I'm sure we'll muddle on through when the time comes (it would look daft on his babygro), but has anyone here been presented with this dilemma in true Across the Barricades style? Maybe kids don't wear them?

Haha! Remember that one from school.

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 09:45:43 AM

Yeah, writing a story about teenagers in love from opposite camps is the literary equivalent of a Christmas song - all the childer will be made read it for 'the message'.

EC Unique

"We shall remember"

Do you know what the poppy appeal is for?

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 09:50:03 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 09:45:43 AM

Yeah, writing a story about teenagers in love from opposite camps is the literary equivalent of a Christmas song - all the childer will be made read it for 'the message'.

Personally, I preferred the Captain Planet visits Belfast episode. Much more appeal at the time with effectively the same message.

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 09:55:50 AM
Personally, I preferred the Captain Planet visits Belfast episode. Much more appeal at the time with effectively the same message.

*checks Google to see if something so preposterous can exist*

Jesus Christ, as any good Fenian Prod would say.

gallsman

Quote from: deiseach on November 08, 2013, 10:01:24 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 08, 2013, 09:55:50 AM

*checks Google to see if something so preposterous can exist*

Jesus Christ, as any good Fenian Prod would say.

The Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles once visited Dublin Zoo as well!

AQMP

In my annual poppy watch in Enniskillen I would say the numbers worn this year are slightly up while still being a very low proportion of the general population.

I noticed Alex Kane and yer man McFadden (??) weren't wearing poppies on "The View" last night and Kane is from a unionist background, while Benjamin Zephaniah wore a white one on the BBC's Question Time.

When did the big green bit appear??  I remember from back in the day it was just red poppy with a black centre??