Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 05, 2013, 07:30:59 PM
leave mayo along, surely u get rid of tyrone first lol, well with Derry City playing in the FAI league and a few Derry men playing with them, that's all i need to claim allegiance to the Irish team, sure its more than big Tony had!!

Tony's connection was through Mayo.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

GAA_Talk

Seen one the size of a small satellite dish pinned to a lamp post on the A1 today.

andoireabu

Do they have these in Belfast yet?  Wrights might be able to throw one together in time!!
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Wildweasel74

well  putting a big make up poppy on a lamp post says somehting about a percentage of the protestant community see it more as a shit stirring point than actual respect for war dead

Wildweasel74

G the DUP see that pic of the bus they be demanding a fleet of them for Belfast

Applesisapples

Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2013, 05:12:14 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 05, 2013, 04:33:09 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 05, 2013, 04:26:30 PM
What I think is daft is that people who wish for a 32 county Irish republic (many of whom will accuse others of being "partitionist") can endorse a team that does not represent the 32 counties. Let's not pretend "people from the North" play for Ireland is part of it either - players have come from much further afield so it's hardly an "embracing all-Ireland" approach.

So if you support the Republic of Ireland soccer team, you can't truly want a 32 county Irish republic?

Put it like this - I find it easier to understand someone from Waterford supporting the Republic of Ireland soccer team as Waterford is covered by the FAI's jurisdiction than I do someone from a nationalist or repuclican background in Belfast. I do not accept that the ROI "better reflects their idea of nationality" or any such similar sentiments as, by definition, it doesn't.

And contrary to what other may try to infer, this is not the same as advocating anyone from a nationalist or republican background in the North supports the OWC team.

For once, George Best had the right idea. Unfortunately, it won't happen.
Most nationalist would prefer a single Irish team, but the sectarianism that is rife in soccer in the 6 counties makes that reality unlikely. The ROI team is not perfect but as a previous poster alluded to, for most its a best fit. The more Darren Gibsons, Marc Wilsons and James CCleans we get the better the fit. But if it doesn't suit you then so be it.

Applesisapples

Mark Sidebottom still not wearing one last night, has BBC policy changed?

deiseach

I saw Malcolm bleedin' Rikfind not wearing one on the BBC last week. The pod people are losing control!

Nally Stand

Quote from: deiseach on November 06, 2013, 09:15:16 AM
I saw Malcolm bleedin' Rikfind not wearing one on the BBC last week. The pod people are losing control!

As LAD might say....BBCIRA
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

nrico2006

Were both Roy and Martin wearing them last night?  Anything to keep your employers happy. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rossfan

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 06, 2013, 09:04:32 AM
Mark Sidebottom still not wearing one last night, has BBC policy changed?
Fair play to him.
I presume it's optional in the Nordie BBC and UTV.??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Didn't Donna Traynor not get a lot of aggro for not wearing a poppy a few years ago on the BBC news?

snoopdog

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 06, 2013, 10:23:25 AM
Were both Roy and Martin wearing them last night?  Anything to keep your employers happy.
i just popped into this debate to see what abuse poor old Martin and roy would be getting. rather suprised there is nothing on it. Id say both have lived in England that long its just a done thing. The north is a different story, have to say i noticed the poppy on the telegraph pole, cant see that as much of a mark of respect to the war dead.

Aristo 60

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 06, 2013, 10:23:25 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24819018

Yes they were  :-X

rosnarun

What can you expect from a sport where the national team wear black armbands when a member of the english ruling family dies
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere