Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: stew on November 03, 2013, 08:03:22 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2013, 06:30:29 PM
I think Northern Catholics should all each wear two Poppies.

A few years of that would sort it out.

Yeah that'd do it!  ::)

Seriously, if Adams and McGuinness wore two poppies all the time Unionists would soon tire of the stupid thing.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

So, a soldier loses his legs in Iraq or somewhere, what help does he get? The British Legion I presume will help people like that, amending his home to suit him. So what does the government give him? I'd say given the recent benefit cuts he'd be forced off benefits, it'd be "back to work ya scrounger".

I think that's the reason the poppy thing is being pushed, so that the government gets to neglect it's servicemen, and let the BL look after them.

Having said that, there is no need for these illegal wars, and if someone takes the Queens shilling to fight in one of these wars, if they get blown up or maimed, I honestly can't have any sympathy for them. It was slightly different a century ago with conscription. I do have a certain amount of sympathy for those men dragged off to fight in, in particular, the great culling of 1914-18.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2013, 10:38:35 AM
Quote from: red hander on November 03, 2013, 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 03, 2013, 12:35:29 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 03, 2013, 12:14:23 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24770300

Meet our new management team! >:(

"Our"  :o

Partitionist ballix

Supporting a 26 county team would be some people's idea of "partitionist".

Some of the most anti-Republic ("Free State") you find are 6 county Irish nationalists who spend the whole time hating on the ROI and then suddenly want to claim the ROI soccer team as being theirs. Can't have it both ways lads.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

trueblue1234

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 04, 2013, 01:52:05 PM

Partitionist ballix

Some of the most anti-Republic ("Free State") you find are 6 county Irish nationalists who spend the whole time hating on the ROI and then suddenly want to claim the ROI soccer team as being theirs. Can't have it both ways lads.

ROI Team is made up from people from the South and the North.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: trueblue1234 on November 04, 2013, 02:11:46 PM

Partitionist ballix

It is the Republic of Ireland team not the Ireland team. Sure Scots and English have played for us, does it make it the Atlantic Archipelego team.

Do not confuse pedantic with partitionist.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

BennyCake

The Ireland/ROI/Free State team has been referred to as Ireland this last 15-20 years. You never hear the media, pundits, supporters refer to it as the ROI. And if you look at the top of the screen on matchdays, it'll say IRL, not ROI.

trueblue1234

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 04, 2013, 02:43:42 PM

Partitionist ballix

It is the Republic of Ireland team not the Ireland team. Sure Scots and English have played for us, does it make it the Atlantic Archipelego team.

I'm not asking you to rename the team. Merely pointing out that you can support a team with local representatives, while still maintaining a dislike of the country itself.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

While MGHU is clearly trolling, I do find the idea of Irish republicans supporting a 26 county team. Regardless of where the players hail from (some from further than Derry), the team represents the FAI - the governing body in the 26 counties, not the island of Ireland.

winghalfun

QuoteAs someone brought up in the unionist community, I remember attending Remembrance Services at church and school, which were solemn, respectful ceremonies.  The emphasis was on remembering the war dead, whichever community they came from

Michaelg, I am quite sure that the services were indeed solemn and respectful but it still does not hide the fact that although Northern Catholics had enlisted during the war just as often as Protestants, they were excluded from any war commemorations as it became an almost exclusively Unionist event.

It is an historical fact that all nationalist names were intentionally left off the numerous plaques and cenotaphs that honour the WW1 dead in Northern Ireland.

(I know the Republic Of Ireland neglected the memory of these men too but that is a separate debate)

red hander

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 04, 2013, 02:43:42 PM

Partitionist ballix

The constitution of the state refers to all those on the island as being recognised as citizens. The badge on the jersey says Ireland. I didn't 'suddenly want to claim the ROI team as mine', I've supported the team all my life, and have been going to matches home and away for 30 years. Just because you live in the 26 counties doesn't make you any more (or less) Irish than I or anybody else in the six counties.

gallsman

Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2013, 09:40:09 PM
I like the way you speak with such authority about people from the unionist community, or pricks as you like to refer to them, wearing poppies to offend catholics.  As someone brought up in the unionist community, I remember attending Remembrance Services at church and school, which were solumn, respectful ceremonies.  The emphasis was on remembering the war dead, whichever community they came from.

I'm not suggesting that the following is what you're implying, but this is something that is trotted out frequently by the Unionist community in the north and UK:

• Irish Catholics and nationalists died in wars fighting for the British Army

• Remembrance Day and the Poppy Appeal honours them just as much as anyone from the other side of the fence

• Because of this, no catholic or nationalist should have any reason to feel uncomfortable with poppies

The logic is daft.

BennyCake

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2013, 05:05:10 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 02, 2013, 09:40:09 PM
I like the way you speak with such authority about people from the unionist community, or pricks as you like to refer to them, wearing poppies to offend catholics.  As someone brought up in the unionist community, I remember attending Remembrance Services at church and school, which were solumn, respectful ceremonies.  The emphasis was on remembering the war dead, whichever community they came from.

I'm not suggesting that the following is what you're implying, but this is something that is trotted out frequently by the Unionist community in the north and UK:

• Irish Catholics and nationalists died in wars fighting for the British Army

• Remembrance Day and the Poppy Appeal honours them just as much as anyone from the other side of the fence

• Because of this, no catholic or nationalist should have any reason to feel uncomfortable with poppies

The logic is daft.

I don't feel uncomfortable with the poppy. Its what it represents. It has been taken over and used to drum up support for illegal wars going on around the planet. This malarky that "our troops do such a great job keeping us free from lunatics"... "Our brave soldiers fighting for our freedom" etc. A half dozen british soldiers come back in a box, and its a terrible tragedy. What about the tens of thousands that they have slaughtered in Iraq/Afghanistan alone?

If the poppy was just to remember the men who died in the 2 WW's, fair enough. But its not. Poppies should be given free to people who wish to wear them as a mark of respect for the two WW/s... but the fact that people have to pay money for a poppy, they are still supporting these ongoing illegal wars, whether they think so or not.

winsamsoon

Also the poppy became politicized in the North when people were forced to wear them in workplaces and bullied into wearing them. If people want to remember the war dead then that is their right to do so. Anyone who doesn't want to participate also has that right. Watching the television everyone is wearing poppies, i saw that x-factor the other night and they were all wearing poppies and i guarantee 90% of them couldn't tell you that two world wars occured. So by all means remember the dead but don't use it as a symbol to get one over the ideological enemy or bully people ito wearing them which is what has occured in the north. 
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

red hander

It has just become another commercial exercise like Christmas, Easter and Halloween, as far as I can see. There are the poppies sold on behalf of the British Legion, fair enough, but look at all the different varieties been worn now at this time of year ... there is no way the money from them is going to the British Legion.

And who could forget this farce last year... even the warmongers at the MoD were embarrassed by it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/rangers-remembrance-day-parade-branded-1558062