Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qubdub

Ok so the context was Greysteel, it was Londonderry EVERY time.

Rossfan

Quote from: AQMP on November 02, 2013, 09:55:47 AM
5th columnists

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24770300
Hope they're proud of themselves but sure what would ya expect from Soccer types  >:(
I see UTV news yesterday was a poppy free zone for all the presenters.
Well done.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

qubdub

Quote from: Rossfan on November 02, 2013, 01:12:57 PM
5th columnists

Hope they're proud of themselves but sure what would ya expect from Soccer types  >:(
Well done.
??
Are you saying they should cause a row on English television over having to wear a poppy?

Rossfan

They could have said leave us off ye're shows till this forced commemotration of Black n Tans, Paras, etc etc is over.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

see them on sale at our reception in at work, doesn't really bother me, some will wear them at work, must don't, i dont see how its going to offend me. yes some probably wear a poppy who never had any relation service in the armed forces and i would find that strange, its nearly more look at me am a unionist. the royal british legion when they came up with the poppy was to fund retired solders who were struggling. the war dead was based on 2 world wars nothing else, it has been hijacked in recent years with iraq  war trying to gain support for a war that never should have happened. in Northern ireland too many pricks with no allegiance to the army just wear them to shit stir and try to offend Catholics. More Irishmen died in WW1 than them royal sons of ulster, we tend to forget that at times.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: qubdub on November 02, 2013, 01:27:48 PM
5th columnists

Well done.
??
Are you saying they should cause a row on English television over having to wear a poppy?
James McClean was prepared to do it
Careful now

qubdub

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 02, 2013, 02:32:04 PM
Quote from: qubdub on November 02, 2013, 01:27:48 PM
5th columnists

Well done.
??
James McClean was prepared to do it
McClean young fella from the Creggan, Derry city, can understand why he didn't wear it.

MON and Keane have been living, playing/working in England for decades. They probably just see it as a silly tradition that they are happy to run along with, I'm sure privately neither could give two shites about remembering British war dead.

It's in NI where it gets more controversial imo, when the likes of the BBC force people to wear it.

BennyCake

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 02, 2013, 02:11:38 PM
see them on sale at our reception in at work, doesn't really bother me, some will wear them at work, must don't, i dont see how its going to offend me. yes some probably wear a poppy who never had any relation service in the armed forces and i would find that strange, its nearly more look at me am a unionist. the royal british legion when they came up with the poppy was to fund retired solders who were struggling. the war dead was based on 2 world wars nothing else, it has been hijacked in recent years with iraq  war trying to gain support for a war that never should have happened. in Northern ireland too many pricks with no allegiance to the army just wear them to shit stir and try to offend Catholics. More Irishmen died in WW1 than them royal sons of ulster, we tend to forget that at times.

Thats exactly how I see it too.

From the Bunker

theticklemister

I see your................

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2013, 08:07:27 PM

And raise you a...........................................

michaelg

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 02, 2013, 02:11:38 PM
I like the way you speak with such authority about people from the unionist community, or pricks as you like to refer to them, wearing poppies to offend catholics.  As someone brought up in the unionist community, I remember attending Remembrance Services at church and school, which were solumn, respectful ceremonies.  The emphasis was on remembering the war dead, whichever community they came from. 

Wildweasel74

Michael go onto any Pul website and it all for wearing the poppy to annoy the other side, not for remembering the war dead, if you read earlier i said some some people wear the poppy for the right reasons but too many wear it and dont even understand how it came about. Comments of "if you dont like our poppy, then f**k off out of our country "is a common theme on the site,

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: theticklemister on November 02, 2013, 08:14:45 PM
I see your................

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2013, 08:07:27 PM

And raise you a...........................................

Accepting an honour from any Monarchy or Dictatorship is a serious no no IMO.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

lawnseed

When in england I take mike rutherfords advice "swear allegiance to the flag what ever flag they offer"
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Dara O'Brien is my favourite Irish celebrity over here. He always ensures he distances himself from being any connection to the UK and ensures there is no grey area over his national identity. He makes a point of say you or over here to perserve the sense of seperateness.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.