Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2012, 09:17:44 PM
Why were no players wearing these poppy things in the 70's, 80's or 90's?
Don't recall too many people wearing them in England - mostly only done in the triumphalist 'wee sicks' counties!!
It's been some sensationalist pressurizing ( bullying) to press gang people int wearing these daft looking thing!!

I recall a few years ago in lansdowne road at a rugby international v the jockos , a couple of al-star rugby fans started booing softly during Amhrain Na bhfiann - but stopped after a few glares in their direction from surrounding fans !
They were not wearing any Irish colours ( as was their right and choice) but sporting ulster gear and 'supporting' Ireland.
No one was press ganging them into 'the wearing of the green'.

This poppy lark is revisionist poppycock !!
Again and again in this thread, there is the belief that Unionists only wear poppies and attend remembrance services to antagonize Nationalists / Republicans.  As someone from a Unionist background, it is my opinion that this is not the case.

charlieTully

Quote from: red hander on November 12, 2012, 09:30:49 PM
Don't remember many members of the occupation forces here sent back to Blighty in a box getting the full Wootten Bassett treatment, either ... it's all part of a push by the British establishment to get the population behind the military so less of them will question their illegal presence in Iraq and their totally futile presence in Afghanistan

so true.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: michaelg on November 12, 2012, 09:42:51 PM
Don't recall too many people wearing them in England - mostly only done in the triumphalist 'wee sicks' counties!!
It's been some sensationalist pressurizing ( bullying) to press gang people int wearing these daft looking thing!!

I recall a few years ago in lansdowne road at a rugby international v the jockos , a couple of al-star rugby fans started booing softly during Amhrain Na bhfiann - but stopped after a few glares in their direction from surrounding fans !
They were not wearing any Irish colours ( as was their right and choice) but sporting ulster gear and 'supporting' Ireland.

Again and again in this thread, there is the belief that Unionists only wear poppies and attend remembrance services to antagonize Nationalists / Republicans.  As someone from a Unionist background, it is my opinion that this is not the case.
It is my experience that that while a tiny amount of people wore poppies in England (plus Scotland and wales) during the 70's, 80's & 90's - they were far more evident in those decades in the north of Ireland .
Tell me why this was then if it wasnt triumphalism or a ' badge ' to demonstrate which side of the fence these people were from!

Leo

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 12, 2012, 07:15:35 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2012, 07:00:29 PM
The war memorial belongs to all, Catholics and Protestants alike blah blah blah. That's one of the arguments I've seen bandied about the most this weekend - Catholics and Irish nationalists died fighting in France, therefore people of a particular persuasion should "show respect". All well and good. Still don't see how any of that should be used as evidence a young Catholic, nationalist man from Derry should ever be criticised for choosing to not wear a poppy.
Of course there are very understandable reasons why "a young Catholic nationalist man from Derry" [sic] should not wish to wear a Poppy (though I fail to see why age, religion or gender should come into it).

But there are also reasons why a Derry Nationalist might not automatically be averse to the idea (whether he/she actually wears one or not). And one of these is that, contrary to popular understanding (myth even),  the tradition of Derry people serving in the British Armed Forces has never been confined solely to the Unionist tradition.

And since Derry's War Dead came from all parts and traditions of the city, all of its people should be equally permitted to mark, or not mark, Remembrance Sunday entirely as they wish.

Or do you not agree?

You know what, if a young nationalist from Derry choses to earn his (overpaid) living at the expense of British soccer supporters he might consider having some respect for how they feel. The nationalist bigotry and ignorance about remembrance day and how it symbolises OUR freedom is staggering.
Fierce tame altogether

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Leo on November 12, 2012, 10:56:16 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 12, 2012, 07:15:35 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 12, 2012, 07:00:29 PM
The war memorial belongs to all, Catholics and Protestants alike blah blah blah. That's one of the arguments I've seen bandied about the most this weekend - Catholics and Irish nationalists died fighting in France, therefore people of a particular persuasion should "show respect". All well and good. Still don't see how any of that should be used as evidence a young Catholic, nationalist man from Derry should ever be criticised for choosing to not wear a poppy.
Of course there are very understandable reasons why "a young Catholic nationalist man from Derry" [sic] should not wish to wear a Poppy (though I fail to see why age, religion or gender should come into it).

But there are also reasons why a Derry Nationalist might not automatically be averse to the idea (whether he/she actually wears one or not). And one of these is that, contrary to popular understanding (myth even),  the tradition of Derry people serving in the British Armed Forces has never been confined solely to the Unionist tradition.

And since Derry's War Dead came from all parts and traditions of the city, all of its people should be equally permitted to mark, or not mark, Remembrance Sunday entirely as they wish.

Or do you not agree?

You know what, if a young nationalist from Derry choses to earn his (overpaid) living at the expense of British soccer supporters he might consider having some respect for how they feel. The nationalist bigotry and ignorance about remembrance day and how it symbolises OUR freedom is staggering.

You have NO RIGHT TO FORCE YOUR SYMBOLS down our necks. The Poppy no matter how the sheeple of the island of Britain and its colonial offspring like to paint it, the Poppy is British Nationalism and the Poppy Appeal is simply Marshial Societal conditioning. I don't seem to see the Republic of Ireland's biggest foregin resident ethnic group the British being FORCED to wear Easter Lillys, to fly the Irish tricolour above their places of residence and work, to Sycophantic lick the arsehole of our Head of State.

The Rotten Empire is dead.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Dougal Maguire

God be with the olden times when if a country went to war the King led them into battle  I think there would be a lot less wars if the US President etc had to do the same nowadays
Careful now

michaelg

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 12, 2012, 10:41:31 PM

It is my experience that that while a tiny amount of people wore poppies in England (plus Scotland and wales) during the 70's, 80's & 90's - they were far more evident in those decades in the north of Ireland .
Tell me why this was then if it wasnt triumphalism or a ' badge ' to demonstrate which side of the fence these people were from!
Why would someone from the 'north of Ireland' wear something to demonstrate which side of the fence they were from when they were living in a divided society where 'their side' would generally have been pretty obvious?
As someone who used to attend services at school, church etc, I can assure you that remembrance services were solemn occasions where people congregated to remember the war dead. 

lynchbhoy

That does not explain why poppies were worn by the truckload in the north of Ireland when in England etc these were worn by tiny minority??

Great that your services were sincere etc - but the need/requirement to have to sport a poppy is because...?
I'm sure the dead can be remembered without some childish badge!

Btw I don't wear shamrocks on st Patrick's day myself - don't see the need for it.

Cold tea

Are the poppies just to remember the British dead, or those they killed / slaughtered also during their campaigns?

johnneycool

Quote from: Cold tea on November 13, 2012, 08:28:17 AM
Are the poppies just to remember the British dead, or those they killed / slaughtered also during their campaigns?

Chinese poppy makers couldn't keep up with demand from all round the world if that was the case.

Spotted Louis Walsh with a very dapper one, just like the man himself..

deiseach

Quote from: Leo on November 12, 2012, 10:56:16 PM
You know what, if a young nationalist from Derry choses to earn his (overpaid) living at the expense of British soccer supporters he might consider having some respect for how they feel.

On what basis do you claim this to be the viewpoint of 'them', i.e. British soccer supporters?

deiseach

Has anyone on this thread said that people go to Remembrance Day services to antagonise the Taigs?  lynchbhoy certainly doesn't say anything of the sort in the piece you have quoted.

johnneycool

You may have a point, but it doesn't explain the pressure put on people like James McClean is now baring the brunt of for not wearing one. The Donna Trainor debacle is another example of it.

I've no problem with people honouring their war dead, but don't expect me to feel the same way.

AQMP

What would posters estimate the sectarian breakdown was of those who attended Remembrance Day ceremonies in N Ireland?

In my view the Royal British Legion in N Ireland should be doing a lot more to reach out to Nationalists/Republicans, you know like if they "moved on" (after all, WW1 has been over for 94 years, long time ago wasn't it) and made an effort to get rid of symbols that may make Nationalists uncomfortable e.g. The word "Royal", the word "British", Union flags, British Army standards, emmm, the poppy...oh wait ;)

The crux of the issue of poppy wearing esp in NI is that in the post partition years and particularly after WW2 the poppy (wrongly in my view) became a badge of identity in N Ireland which marked you out as either one of "us" or one of "them" and anyone who thinks this isn't the case is frankly living in cloud cuckoo land.

dillinger

Quote from: Cold tea on November 13, 2012, 08:28:17 AM
Good question there.
I'm a Unionist and when i wear a poppy, and never before November, usually about the 6th inside i'm thinking about all the lives wasted through war.

Maybe that's only me.