Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Fair play to James mcclean for standing up for what he believes.
asking someone from the creggan to wear a symbol supporting the british army is like asking some one from liverpool to wear a symbol supporting west midlands police.
I couldnt see the same outcry if that was refused
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Armaghgeddon

Wish the Brits would get over themselves, poppy is a symbol of freedom. Shame it never existed when British soldiers caused atrocities all over the world.

theticklemister

Fair dues to james on this.

What would of happened with he refused to stand for the silence or indeed walk out while members of the army formed a guard of honour for the players?

Maybe he was going to, but maybe the club said this was going to far.

Did ye read the comments on the link there?? Some of the english ones there dont have a clue at all

nifan

McClean has every right to choose not to wear a poppy - whats the point in such a symbol if people are forced to wear it, rather than choosing to.

Some of the reaction to this is ridiculous - but then again we see this sort of thing all the time - the reactions of some people to someone wearing a poppy can be very ott too.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nifan on November 12, 2012, 01:18:49 PM
McClean has every right to choose not to wear a poppy - whats the point in such a symbol if people are forced to wear it, rather than choosing to.

Some of the reaction to this is ridiculous - but then again we see this sort of thing all the time - the reactions of some people to someone wearing a poppy can be very ott too.
You understand the context behind his decision whereas large swathes on English either don't know it or choose to ignore it. OWCers moaning about it on Twitter are obviously in the latter camp at best or blinded by bigotry at worst.

boojangles

Well Done James Mc Clean.

nrico2006

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 12, 2012, 11:04:15 AM
More WTF really but does anyone else find this frightening?  I assume the Easter Lily will be sacrosanct come 2016.

Canterbury man arrested over burning poppy image. A man has been arrested after an image of a burning poppy and obscenities were posted on a social networking site.

The 19-year-old, from Canterbury, was detained on Sunday night on suspicion of making malicious telecommunications.

Kent Police said he was arrested at about 20:45 GMT and would be interviewed by officers on Monday.

On Sunday, the UK observed a two-minute silence to remember members of the British and Commonwealth's armed forces who have died during conflicts.

Were the Muslim protesters who burned poppies at the rememberance ceremony a few years back arrested?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Evil Genius

Personally I couldn't give a stuff whether McClean wears a Poppy or not; further I don't think it in the spirit of the thing for people to feel compelled to do so either, so in that regard, he must be entitled to demur.

However, two things occur to me. First, it is a bit rich of some people to complain that he should be allowed not to wear the Poppy if he doesn't wish to, then go on to ask us to imagine the reaction from people in Derry if he did wear one.
That is, he must be allowed not to wear one, but the reaction of (some of) the people of Derry should dictate that he mustn't be allowed to wear one.
Especially since, as this article on the War Memorial in Derry points out:
"People must realise that the Diamond War Memorial belongs to all the people of the city and that we have a shared history. For example, young men from both the Catholic/Nationalist 16th Irish Division and the Protestant/Unionist 36th Ulster Division fought and died side by side as one unit in the battle for Messines Ridge in Belgium on the 7th June, 1917."
To date, project researcher, Trevor Temple, has discovered that almost 48% of the 756 names on the memorial belong to members of the Nationalist/Catholic community who died in World War One.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/local/derry-war-memorial-open-to-public-1-2116901
Two way street, eh?

Second, I don't think he was being asked to make some sort of personal statement by wearing the shirt; rather it was to join with his teammates in the commemoration by Sunderland AFC. As such, players of every Nationality joined in, including his fellow Mackem, John O'Shea.

Indeed, I was at a League game at the weekend where, as well as the customary minute silence and poppies on shirts etc, there was a whole raft of events connected to the local Regiment (Cadet parade, free tickets for Service personnel, bucket collection for Benevolent Fund etc). Players from all over the globe were playing, including an Argentinian. None felt the need to make any kind of personal statement.

P.S. Some further 'food for thought' may be found here:
http://www.diamondwarmemorial.com/
http://www.inishowennews.com/011DunreeWall299.htm
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

RealSpiritof98

Evil Genius usual I dont care but i'll construct a wee a story telling u fenians yis are wrong anyway

charlieTully

A few guys sang Aiden McAnnesppi during the minutes silence at solitude on sat. Utv reports it as singing sectarian songs, c***ts should do a bit of research before they bandy the word sectarian about.

red hander

"People must realise that the Diamond War Memorial belongs to all the people of the city and that we have a shared history. For example, young men from both the Catholic/Nationalist 16th Irish Division and the Protestant/Unionist 36th Ulster Division fought and died side by side as one unit in the battle for Messines Ridge in Belgium on the 7th June, 1917."
To date, project researcher, Trevor Temple, has discovered that almost 48% of the 756 names on the memorial belong to members of the Nationalist/Catholic community who died in World War One.

All very moving ... isn't a pity that the minority unionist elite who ruled for years through gerrymandering and discriminated against the surviving relatives of that 48% didn't demonstrate the same magnanimity that you expect of nationalists in Derry

Evil Genius

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 12, 2012, 06:18:32 PM
Evil Genius usual I dont care but i'll construct a wee a story telling u fenians yis are wrong anyway
That's it, is it?

I mean, when a poster makes a case for something with which you disagree, instead of constructing your own rebuttal, you just come up with that load of tripe?

Is it that you don't realise just how pathetic that is, or that you simply don't care?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 12, 2012, 06:18:32 PM

Class my thoughts exactly RealSpiritof89. Also just because Derry nationalists died in WW1/WW2 doesnt mean we should forget about  the dire history of the british army in that city since and start wearing poppies, i have relatives from Derry who fought in WW2 but I would never ever feel comfortable wearing a poppy. And thats not down to fear of what someone in Derry would say, I just cant relate  to the poppy, it will forever be associated with an army who gave me nothing but hassle and abuse in my youth.

Evil Genius

Quote from: charlieTully on November 12, 2012, 06:23:39 PM
A few guys sang Aiden McAnnesppi during the minutes silence at solitude on sat. Utv reports it as singing sectarian songs, c***ts should do a bit of research before they bandy the word sectarian about.
Do you think it acceptable to sing non-sectarian songs during a minutes silence, then?

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

gallsman

The war memorial belongs to all, Catholics and Protestants alike blah blah blah. That's one of the arguments I've seen bandied about the most this weekend - Catholics and Irish nationalists died fighting in France, therefore people of a particular persuasion should "show respect". All well and good. Still don't see how any of that should be used as evidence a young Catholic, nationalist man from Derry should ever be criticised for choosing to not wear a poppy.