Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavanmaniac

Not surprised Matty has moved/been moved on, things seemed to unravel this year after a promising enough start and not just in a results sense, but even more so wrt the lack of clarity in direction and tactical identity of the team, as the manager tried in vain to stop the bleeding.

Fully agree it's time to get a big name in but nobody was persuaded or asked before Matty got appointed, one or the other, so I don't know if it can be different this time around. A big name surrounded by a passionate Cavan core of selectors has the potential to get something going and keep us in Division 1 though so here's hoping.

The calibre of candidate we are linked with in the coming weeks will be very telling, both in relation to the county board's insight into the problem/true scale of their ambition, and also how we are perceived beyond our own borders by managers who would likely have their ear to the ground.

A friend of mine texted me earlier and said Matty was gone, and said "he was a very positive breath of hot air". ;D

mrdeeds

He was definitely positive to the point of ridiculous. After that Monaghan game in Blayney he described it as a great game of football. Candidates within county seem to Jason, Peter, Mickey and Finbar. Outside I'd say McGuinness is mad for a soccer job. Maybe someone like Horan or maybe a recently retired high profile player. Whoever the appointment is they need to get all the best players wanting to play including all the Gaels lads who have no interest.

cavanmaniac

Some interesting tidbits from the wearecavan lads:

- Mickey Graham approached, interested but non-committal as yet
- Jason rumoured to have dropped out but still thought to be in the ring
- No other hard news on any other candidate approached although an All-Ireland winner from another country was linked as interested but couldn't be named, and the Celt lad tried to contact James Horan who still hasn't definitely said he's not interested.

There was an interview with the county board chairman:

- List of candidates slated to interviewed by committee on week of July 30th
- Noted hint of urgency in his voice and seemingly very aware that time is running out for this group of players to achieve something and that this needs to be the right appointment

Itchy

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 27, 2018, 03:22:48 AM

- No other hard news on any other candidate approached although an All-Ireland winner from another country was linked as interested but couldn't be named, and the Celt lad tried to contact James Horan who still hasn't definitely said he's not interested.

- Noted hint of urgency in his voice and seemingly very aware that time is running out for this group of players to achieve something and that this needs to be the right appointment

Good luck to county board. It will not be a easy task. They have to be salesman as well as a recruiter. If they could pull off Horan or McGuinness that would be something amazing but I just cant see it. To me it will end up being an internal person and I am ok with that. The key thing is a man who can inspire the fellas who couldnt commit this year to get back in there.

Maybe a certain player will be leaving to be an elected official too. Sounds like a good idea to me.

tommysmith

Some lads who "can't commit" may have trouble with irish sport council testing.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on July 27, 2018, 10:21:37 AM

Good luck to county board. It will not be a easy task. They have to be salesman as well as a recruiter. If they could pull off Horan or McGuinness that would be something amazing but I just cant see it. To me it will end up being an internal person and I am ok with that. The key thing is a man who can inspire the fellas who couldnt commit this year to get back in there.

Maybe a certain player will be leaving to be an elected official too. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hi Itchy. Do you know what McGuinness is qualified to do for a living apart from the obvious coaching in professional sport he has been doing for the last few years? Seems hard to comprehend how we could afford to pay him to support a family solely on the Cavan job. Fair enough he combined the Celtic Donegal job but that was a coaching role with some flexibility. He's linked with the Galway United job but that is the top job so can't see how he could combine the two in this scenario. Also wondering how much money we're talking if we're competing with a LOI 1st division club for his signature.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Look-Up! on July 27, 2018, 02:05:05 PM

Hi Itchy. Do you know what McGuinness is qualified to do for a living apart from the obvious coaching in professional sport he has been doing for the last few years? Seems hard to comprehend how we could afford to pay him to support a family solely on the Cavan job. Fair enough he combined the Celtic Donegal job but that was a coaching role with some flexibility. He's linked with the Galway United job but that is the top job so can't see how he could combine the two in this scenario. Also wondering how much money we're talking if we're competing with a LOI 1st division club for his signature.

A LOI club that was the subject of a Saudi takeover.

mrdeeds

Quote from: cavanmaniac on July 27, 2018, 03:22:48 AM

Cavan/Monaghan constituency or North Kildare?

Look-Up!

Quote from: mrdeeds on July 27, 2018, 02:10:05 PM

A LOI club that was the subject of a Saudi takeover.

So any idea how much we're talking here?

rodney trotter

Galway United have a new manager, Alan Murphy. Cavan wouldn't be competing with them. McGuinness got a nice pay off from his time in China. He had a 2 1/2 year contract, left after 6 months. He has own business , so wouldn't have be relying on the Cavan job either way..

That's if he take it at all.

Look-Up!

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 27, 2018, 03:03:31 PM
Galway United have a new manager, Alan Murphy. Cavan wouldn't be competing with them. McGuinness got a nice pay off from his time in China. He had a 2 1/2 year contract, left after 6 months. He has own business , so wouldn't have be relying on the Cavan job either way..

That's if he take it at all.

What does he do?

Itchy

I think Cavan would need to be going to local business, maybe like Kingspan, for help to fund it. No way it could be afforded by the county boards takings.

redzone

Banty is looking back into senior management

cavanmaniac

If Banty is the answer, it must be a very peculiar question.

I heard audio of McGuinness' analysis of Cavan before the Tyrone match and if nothing else, he was quite knowledgeable about the situation for an outsider, sounded enthused by cavan and if anything came over like he was giving a bit of a pep talk to the players from a 'management' or leadership perspective. That's a bit of a reach now I know, but it's on the podcast released after Matty went. Worth a listen.

rodney trotter

It won't be Banty the peacock. He didn't get it 2 years ago when it was only between him and McGleenan, so has no chance of getting it now. He seems like a manager keen to get any job going.