Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

It's a myth that costs have went up that much. In real terms premiums since 2004 have went up 21% while costs have dropped by 6% over the same period.
Costs of managing claims has risen and there has been some changes in regulations that have increased costs for insurance companies. But overall motor claims (in the uk)are just under £12B, and premiums are just over £19B. So still a healthy profit margin. And this would be before recent price gouging.

For a regulated industry, Insurance badly needs closer attention by watchdogs on pricing.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AustinPowers

What's the deal with  your car insurance when changing  jobs?

Are you meant to  let your insurer know if you  started  a different line of work? (eg. moving from  an office job  to a sales assistant?)

And  do you need to notify them if say,  you became unemployed/or  became a full time  carer for someone ?

toby47

Any good news stories about car insurance?

Been quoted a ridiculous jump in price for this year. Anyone been able to get a decent quote with anyone?

NAG1

Quote from: toby47 on May 30, 2024, 12:37:53 PMAny good news stories about car insurance?

Been quoted a ridiculous jump in price for this year. Anyone been able to get a decent quote with anyone?

In a nutshell no, my renewal was astronomical asked them to have a look and they generally would be decent at getting good prices, came back saying the company I was with was the cheapest by a long shot.

cornerback

Nope.

Wife with Abbey; renewal offer up 40% on last year.

Phoned Abbey and got another company at 20% up on last year which was the cheapest by a long way.

tbrick18

I've had a real run in with insurance companies over the last week or so.
My wee runabout, with our 18yo on it, packed in. Bought a new runabout (3Kish car) and phoned up to change the insurance. They went through the details and it seemed they had our daughter down as only having provisional licence and not full licence, so I informed them that was wrong. They said then she had to come off the policy as they wouldn't insure a young driver and that she wouldn't have been covered all this time (9 months into policy).

They only option they gave us was to take her off the policy or cancel the entire policy.
So I cancelled and set about looking for a new policy. Got some ridiculous quotes (1.5 diesel clio) between 5K and 8K. Not happy with previous insurer, Lloyds, at all - as I feel they have just done this as they know they can get a higher premium now.

Axa quoted £1600 with a telemtry device, next cheapest was about 2.5K.
So I went with Axa, until it came to the point of paying and it said I had to phone them.
I call them, and some cheeky wee f....person on the phone just said that I was just insuring this so my daughter can drive and they'd only quote on her name 4.5K. I explained the car was mine, I was the driver and I've 10+ years NCB, but he just said it didn't matter that basically I was only saying that so she could get cheaper insurance. I'd love to know the legality of that.
Yes my daughter will be driving, but it's not her car nor will she be the main driver.

I tried Abbey, who were more sympathetic, but said they couldn't add her onto a new policy on a new car until I had been driving it myself for 2 years - even though I have 10+ years NCB.
The whole thing is a racket and they seem to be making up rules and inflating the prices.

I had to go with a 2.5K policy with a telemetry device.
I am not surprised there are so many un-insured drivers out there with this approach.
I'd imagine there are not many people who can afford to pay insurance like that every year on top of a car payment.
What makes it worse - my next lad turns 17 in July. No idea what I'm going to do to get him covered.

What have others found?
Anyone any idea if it's worth my time complaining to Lloyds, Axa, Abbey?

No1

Got a great deal recently with Hastings for my 19 year old daughter who has been driving for two years.  Her own policy (with telematics) for her own wee runaround.  The price was a couple of thousand pound less than any other quotes.  I still can't believe how cheap it was in comparison to others (about £850 was the price).  Keep thinking we missed something in the small print!!  Her previous insurers flat out refused to quote this year.

Milltown Row2

First world problems!!!!

Its madness the price, we continue to insure our daughter on my wife's car even though most of the year she's at Uni in Liverpool, as its cheaper that way than just put it on for a coupe of months a year, no break in insurance and year on year getting older.

Insurance up soon, the wife will deal with that but its expensive, think we are paying or quoted an extra £40 a month on previous rate.

When you were young (and I know price was cheaper for insurance) did you pay your own insurance?

Edit: £1800 for them both, daughter driving 3 years .. Axa
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 30, 2024, 02:10:26 PMI've had a real run in with insurance companies over the last week or so.
My wee runabout, with our 18yo on it, packed in. Bought a new runabout (3Kish car) and phoned up to change the insurance. They went through the details and it seemed they had our daughter down as only having provisional licence and not full licence, so I informed them that was wrong. They said then she had to come off the policy as they wouldn't insure a young driver and that she wouldn't have been covered all this time (9 months into policy).

They only option they gave us was to take her off the policy or cancel the entire policy.
So I cancelled and set about looking for a new policy. Got some ridiculous quotes (1.5 diesel clio) between 5K and 8K. Not happy with previous insurer, Lloyds, at all - as I feel they have just done this as they know they can get a higher premium now.

So I went with Axa, until it came to the point of paying and it said I had to phone them.
I call them, and some cheeky wee f....person on the phone just said that I was just insuring this so my daughter can drive and they'd only quote on her name 4.5K. I explained the car was mine, I was the driver and I've 10+ years NCB, but he just said it didn't matter that basically I was only saying that so she could get cheaper insurance. I'd love to know the legality of that.
Yes my daughter will be driving, but it's not her car nor will she be the main driver.

I tried Abbey, who were more sympathetic, but said they couldn't add her onto a new policy on a new car until I had been driving it myself for 2 years - even though I have 10+ years NCB.
The whole thing is a racket and they seem to be making up rules and inflating the prices.

I am not surprised there are so many un-insured drivers out there with this approach.
I'd imagine there are not many people who can afford to pay insurance like that every year on top of a car payment.
What makes it worse - my next lad turns 17 in July. No idea what I'm going to do to get him covered.

What have others found?

Scandalous, what a bunch of cnuts

Recent autorenewal was up 18% from previous years policy and considerably cheaper than all other enquiries shopping around

Complete racket and jacked to the tits with corruption

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 30, 2024, 02:10:26 PMI've had a real run in with insurance companies over the last week or so.

What have others found?

Have an 19 and an 18 year old insured on my car as named drivers. Insured with AXA via Hughes if that makes sense. Last year was £1,100. Renewal came through this month at £1,600. Checked AXA online and got a quote of £1,450. Rang Hughes, they contacted AXA who stood over the lower quote. No questions about either named driver being the main driver, maybe because I have business use for me on the insurance.

It was actually cheaper to insure the two of them than just the older one.

general_lee

It's a complete racket. I'm reluctant to ever actually claim off my insurance (touch wood, I've never had to in 20 years driving)

You're as well just lying to them to try and keep the premium down(car stored in garage, parked securely at work, only 3k miles a year). It's not like you won't get shafted anyway if you're honest and actually need to make a claim.

Ethan Tremblay

Wife has been driving 18 years with 18years no claims bonus. 

Insurance went up £80 this year for no reason, pure racket indeed. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

toby47

Same old story...we need insurance. Whatever the b*stards charge, we are more or less going to have to pay it.

Knock on another 50% next year again...what's our options? Either pay it or forget about driving. They have us by the balls.

Bad enough paying it yourself. As many on here are explaining, when you start adding in kids it becomes ridiculous.

tbrick18

Quote from: No1 on May 30, 2024, 02:18:27 PMGot a great deal recently with Hastings for my 19 year old daughter who has been driving for two years.  Her own policy (with telematics) for her own wee runaround.  The price was a couple of thousand pound less than any other quotes.  I still can't believe how cheap it was in comparison to others (about £850 was the price).  Keep thinking we missed something in the small print!!  Her previous insurers flat out refused to quote this year.

Its hastings I'm insured with now but it was 2.5K with Telematics. It's probably the sensible thing to do to get her in a car of her own and insured in her own name, but just too costly right now. Maybe once she's out of her R plates I'll take a look.

AustinPowers

Quote from: general_lee on May 30, 2024, 03:42:43 PMIt's a complete racket. I'm reluctant to ever actually claim off my insurance (touch wood, I've never had to in 20 years driving)

You're as well just lying to them to try and keep the premium down(car stored in garage, parked securely at work, only 3k miles a year). It's not like you won't get shafted anyway if you're honest and actually need to make a claim.

Apparently reducing   the annual  mileage thing  doesn't make any  real difference to the cost .

I dont even  know why they ask you your annual mileage  , because they can  find out how much you did  between  MOT's. It's all online