Top 10 Forwards since 1977 - Survey Results

Started by Owen Brannigan, April 22, 2017, 10:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: rosnarun on April 24, 2017, 11:22:24 AM
Larry Tompkins probably  the man hardest done by in this poll, but has a few natural disadvantages
the age profile of voters
75% of poster are not from Munster

the other thing is every Criticism of D Connolly  could also be made of canavan

Larry Tompkins disqualified himself for me when he got sunburned feet the week before a Munster Final.

Taylor

Quote from: rosnarun on April 24, 2017, 11:22:24 AM
Larry Tompkins probably  the man hardest done by in this poll, but has a few natural disadvantages
the age profile of voters
75% of poster are not from Munster

the other thing is every Criticism of D Connolly  could also be made of canavan

Would Canavan have missed as much game time than Connolly has of late in big games?

Canavan was much cuter at his activities than Connolly is

The Stallion

"Lol says the bitter Londonderry man! 5 weeks and counting"

I'm not at all bitter. I have no problem praising Tyrone players. They have produced some brilliant footballers in the last 20 years like Canavan, McGuigan and O'Neill.

However when evaluating some players (from all counties, including my own), I feel the negative side of their game impacts on how I view them. Canavan is one such example. Some of his antics on the pitch were disgraceful.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 24, 2017, 12:40:10 PM
Kieran Cunningham not happy with ye https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/856469282389143552 He has a point.

Top 10, not Top 25. And as with all of these, who do you take out instead of him?

Zulu

He surely does. However, if you pick a top ten Monday the following day you'd probably change 2 or 3 players so it's an impossible task. Also to be fair, I'd say most people here would have seen very little of Declan Browne or Matty Forde so when deciding between them and Stephen O'Neill or Steven McDonnell a lot lads here would have seen way more of the Ulster boys.

These things are only a bit of craic at the end of the day as there's no way you can pick a top ten that is fair.

redhandefender

Quote from: The Stallion on April 24, 2017, 11:33:05 AM

I'm not at all bitter. I have no problem praising Tyrone players. They have produced some brilliant footballers in the last 20 years like Canavan, McGuigan and O'Neill.

However when evaluating some players (from all counties, including my own), I feel the negative side of their game impacts on how I view them. Canavan is one such example. Some of his antics on the pitch were disgraceful.

"disgraceful" how dramatic, like what? Disgraceful on a pitch I would class as unprovoked punches, cheap shots, eye gouge etc. I can assure you canavan never went out to start taking someone on in the physical stakes but he was ready especially against your bitter thugs

Jinxy

Good forwards in weaker counties could get away with being a one-man band in the pre-blanket era.
Browne & Forde would be nullified fairly easily nowadays.
On the flip-side, stick Brogan, Connolly, Murphy, Meehan etc. into those teams and they would cause carnage.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

nrico2006

Canavan was the best I have ever seen.  His ability to run with the ball was amazing, and he could score of either foot as well as win his own ball.

As for Connolly, definitely think he is overrated.  Capable of moments of great skill but doesn't hurt the score board enough, I owuld have Stevie McDonnell or O'Neill over him anyday.

Bernard Brogan is slightly underrated I think though.  Scores heavily in the majority of games and his ability to win ball and score of either foot is remarkable.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 24, 2017, 03:56:12 PM
Canavan was the best I have ever seen.  His ability to run with the ball was amazing, and he could score of either foot as well as win his own ball.

As for Connolly, definitely think he is overrated.  Capable of moments of great skill but doesn't hurt the score board enough, I owuld have Stevie McDonnell or O'Neill over him anyday.

Bernard Brogan is slightly underrated I think though.  Scores heavily in the majority of games and his ability to win ball and score of either foot is remarkable.

You're comparing a half forward (or someone who plays most of his football in the middle third) with out and out inside forwards here. What other half forward hurts the scoreboard more frequently than Connolly?

The Stallion

Quote from: redhandefender on April 24, 2017, 03:16:01 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on April 24, 2017, 11:33:05 AM

"disgraceful" how dramatic, like what? Disgraceful on a pitch I would class as unprovoked punches, cheap shots, eye gouge etc. I can assure you canavan never went out to start taking someone on in the physical stakes but he was ready especially against your bitter thugs

I'm not bitter about anything and I don't have any bitter thugs. Not sure why you keep mentioning bitterness.

You seem to be blissfully unaware or have turned a blind eye to some of the antics Canavan got up to. I won't attempt to try and change your mind on the matter.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 24, 2017, 03:51:15 PM
Good forwards in weaker counties could get away with being a one-man band in the pre-blanket era.
Browne & Forde would be nullified fairly easily nowadays.
On the flip-side, stick Brogan, Connolly, Murphy, Meehan etc. into those teams and they would cause carnage.

Connolly would cause carnage locked in a room by his himself, though. Meehan was a truly great talent - a bit like a Donnellan that didn't deliver AIs in his moments on top, but that AI win with Caltra remains one of the most impressive achievements in the history of Gaelic football.

I don't think any forward, even Gooch, would do much on a really weak side in today's age of near professional football. Lads like Emlyn Mulligan and Jamie Clarke have the capacity to be all-time greats but circumstance prevents them from ever being the best they can be.

Captain Obvious

Kieran Cunningham not happy with ye https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/856469282389143552 He has a point.
It must be a slow week for that journalist if he is on gaaboard and is upset by what he read on here.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 24, 2017, 04:24:20 PM
It must be a slow week for that journalist if he is on gaaboard and is upset by what he read on here.
Exactly

I wonder does he follow the Man Utd thread.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 24, 2017, 04:24:20 PM

What does his opinion have to do with his profession?

Weird comment. Getting personal for no apparent reason.