Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: thewobbler on October 16, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
I pretty much always enjoy Brolly's column, even when I don't agree with him.

But this wasn't a good one. It's basically telling the same average joke in each of 20 consecutive paragraphs. I understand that humour is often based on repetition, but this was dull.

- -

Plus, I'm still trying to work out why it's okay for one former player to make a large six figure sum indirectly from the Association i.e. himself, but not for another.

The reason is that he ''works'' to earn his money. Gooches money is a handout!

thewobbler

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 16, 2017, 10:35:25 PM

But this wasn't a good one. It's basically telling the same average joke in each of 20 consecutive paragraphs. I understand that humour is often based on repetition, but this was dull.

- -

Plus, I'm still trying to work out why it's okay for one former player to make a large six figure sum indirectly from the Association i.e. himself, but not for another.

The reason he can "work" for that money is because he played Gaelic Football. No other reason.

longballin

Quote from: thewobbler on October 16, 2017, 11:03:22 PM

- -

The reason he can "work" for that money is because he played Gaelic Football. No other reason.

is the reason like him or loathe him, he is articulate, entertaining and able to put his point across and presents well. Not everyone can do that as Im sure you must have noticed...

Cunny Funt

Quote from: longballin on October 16, 2017, 11:13:04 PM

- -

is the reason like him or loathe him, he is articulate, entertaining and able to put his point across and presents well. Not everyone can do that as Im sure you must have noticed...

You love JM too much if you believe that. Articulate sweet Jesus!

longballin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 17, 2017, 12:27:13 AM

- -

Considering he's a barrister I'd say so...

Cunny Funt

Quote from: longballin on October 17, 2017, 01:04:46 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 17, 2017, 12:27:13 AM

- -

Considering he's a barrister I'd say so...
Considering he's a barrister one would expect him to be an articulate GAA pundit but he is not. Brolly i'd say doesn't believe half of the stuff he says and puts little or no research into his what he writes or talks about. He is to GAA what Eamon Dunphy is to soccer or George Hook was to Rugby basically its RTE gimmick to have a pundit like that.

thewobbler

Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

sid waddell

Brolly is on the mark roughly half the time, and the other half, he's full of shit.

That article on Cooper was a beautiful skewering of somebody who is making a greedy and cynical cash grab.

Cooper should just use the slogan: "Give me loads of tax free money for doing nothing because I'm the Gooch and I'm great!"

Bit like that priest with the parachutes in Father Ted.

thewobbler

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 17, 2017, 08:57:01 AM

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

I can't help sense there's a touch of Socrates winning a Sigerson about this deed, every time I read it. Its origins would be interesting.

north aontroim gael

Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 09:09:46 AM

I can't help sense there's a touch of Socrates winning a Sigerson about this deed, every time I read it. Its origins would be interesting.

You could be right, I don't know how accurate the statement is. Potentially a line that was fired out years ago and has gathered legs. If he doesn't then he's even more culpable than Gooch imo

Jim Bob

If it were true Brolly would make sure it was well known!

screenexile

Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 AM

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2017, 10:11:34 AM

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

Yeah, you're probably right but he is happy to part-take in industries which use an amateur organisation to earn hefty sums of money. Does he have a problem with Gooch sitting beside him in the RTE studio taking money for his analysis? Has he included a comment about that in his withering article? What about Pat and Colm? Are the RTE GAA analysts modern day Robin Hoods, taking from the rich TV companies and passing it back down the chain to the poor GAA grass roots? I'd be fairly sure that they aren't. For me his argument is flawed and is another (in a long, long, long) line of examples of Joe aiming for the biggest fish to maximise his own exposure.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on October 17, 2017, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2017, 10:11:34 AM

Yeah, you're probably right but he is happy to part-take in industries which use an amateur organisation to earn hefty sums of money. Does he have a problem with Gooch sitting beside him in the RTE studio taking money for his analysis? Has he included a comment about that in his withering article? What about Pat and Colm? Are the RTE GAA analysts modern day Robin Hoods, taking from the rich TV companies and passing it back down the chain to the poor GAA grass roots? I'd be fairly sure that they aren't. For me his argument is flawed and is another (in a long, long, long) line of examples of Joe aiming for the biggest fish to maximise his own exposure.

He said in the first article I think that he has no problem with the Gooch getting paid for his punditry work articles etc.