GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 20, 2020, 09:22:37 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 20, 2020, 08:29:40 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 07:45:13 PM

The GAA have been superb during this virus including allowing their own stadiums become test centes. They were correct to look for clarification on these new restrictions but it should have been done in private instead of using a social media.

Compared to other sports thats simply not correct. And saying it perpetuates the problem. No other sport publically flouted the rules. This is not tbe time for wink and nudge culture.

That is 100% not true. I have been to athletics where there was no distancing at all. None. It does just seem like a dig at the Gaa.

And were they in the wrong?

imtommygunn

Why are you asking me that? "No other sport publicly flouted the rules". You are wrong. That's my only point.

Everything should be policed with spot checks on businesses, sports events etc etc. It feels quite draconian the whole thing.

Also this isn't just about the GAA. It's about all sports. Has the CMO or somebody else in "authority" said this is specifically about GAA? If they have then fair enough and I have missed it but have they?

thewobbler

Got my arse handed to me.

Lol.

It's always good to be judged by someone as impartial as yourself.

I'm a dyed in the wool committee man by the way. I'm that volunteer who you expect to perform a role that the Garda wouldn't do ie forcibly remove a family from a football match because they keep stepping closer to each other.

That I suppose is the fundamental difference between me and you. I will do just about anything to ensure Gaelic Games is played, but having voluntarily marshalled at hundreds of matches, I know how tough that job can be when people react to seemingly simple requests with, astonishment, ignorance or aggression.

My guess is you're the guy who doesn't volunteer, but expects them to eat his shit. You just carry it that way.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2020, 09:15:33 PM
BB, a question. Have you always hated the Association, or is this something that has grown over time?

I think maybe I misinterpreted your inputs on this thread initially, as arising from concern for public health, or just a desire for law abiding citizens.

But your continued incessant desire to see all members of the GAA punished until all members can somehow prove they're toeing the line, combined with your growing rhetoric that the GAA stands alone among sporting organisations for Covid contempt,  just stinks of an anti-GAA agenda. Absolutely stinks.
Jaysus

When people some people get a bee in their bonnet about something they can really take it to extremes

Back in May I was accused of "wanting the GAA to fail" by another poster because I thought it was far too soon for the GAA to resume activity

People should read Hannah Arendt because posts like the quoted one here can be explained by her

An ideology is an idea taken to its extreme

That idea here is the idea that people are "out to get the GAA", and nothing will persuade the wobbler otherwise

Arendt also wrote that one of the greatest tricks of totalitarians was to turn a statement of fact into a question of motive

Obviously I'm not comparing the wobbler to a totalitarian, but he does show a worrying tendency to use their techniques

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 20, 2020, 09:36:14 PM
Look at other sports on tv. Fans simply weren't sitting together in groups. 200 was rigorously enforced in the LoI for example, it clearly wasn't at some GAA games.

To repeat once more the issue was mainly with what goes on before and after matches than what goes on during it. Clarity was sought by the GAA they weren't the only ones confused by these new restrictions and they needed more detail to what's not allowed or is in order to keep games going and that includes grass roots.

thewobbler

Sid I honestly believe I'm the opposite to a totalitarian.

Let's focus on the case at hand.

The state have closed attendance at sports in outdoor environments. I cannot see the sense of this in isolation, and particularly so when contrasted to the activities that the state continues to permit.

When one of our fellow posters is determined that the state is right, but focuses solely on teaching the GAA a lesson, and not sport in general. And every post sees a further strike against the GAA. I'm surmising that the agenda here is little to to with Covid.

Leave aside our differences. Explain why you've described my inputs here as totalitarian.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: thewobbler on August 20, 2020, 10:08:39 PM
Sid I honestly believe I'm the opposite to a totalitarian.

Let's focus on the case at hand.

The state have closed attendance at sports in outdoor environments. I cannot see the sense of this in isolation, and particularly so when contrasted to the activities that the state continues to permit.

When one of our fellow posters is determined that the state is right, but focuses solely on teaching the GAA a lesson, and not sport in general. And every post sees a further strike against the GAA. I'm surmising that the agenda here is little to to with Covid.

Leave aside our differences. Explain why you've described my inputs here as totalitarian.

Where did I say the state was right?

You are totalitarian in the sense that anyone disagreeing with you is the enemy and has an agenda, isn't on the level. You are coming across quite Gemma O'Doherty, admittedly with far better spelling.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 10:06:26 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 20, 2020, 09:36:14 PM
Look at other sports on tv. Fans simply weren't sitting together in groups. 200 was rigorously enforced in the LoI for example, it clearly wasn't at some GAA games.

To repeat once more the issue was mainly with what goes on before and after matches than what goes on during it. Clarity was sought by the GAA they weren't the only ones confused by these new restrictions and they needed more detail to what's not allowed or is in order to keep games going and that includes grass roots.
I don't disagree with that, but it would be more a more credible position if the rules were enforced.

dublin7

Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2020, 07:26:00 PM
If people are picking up Covid at GAA games then cutting off that avenue makes sense. That's just a sensible medical decision. It's also worth noting that for several county boards social distancing was something that was the government's problem and they didn't seem to think the rules applied to them. No point in limiting fans if you let them all sit/stand together. They got a chance alot of other sports didn't get and they screwed it up themselves.
:D
The rugby restarts in Aviva on Sat in empty stadiums, but the IRFU haven't sent a snotty demand through the media for a meeting with the government to demand answers. Why do you think the GAA are being treated badly compared to other sports? Makes no sense

Once again tonight the acting CMO stressed car pooling and congregating after are the main reason for such restrictions.

The GAA have been superb during this virus including allowing their own stadiums become test centes. They were correct to look for clarification on these new restrictions but it should have been done in private instead of using a social media.

Anyway it's seems they got their answer on parents allowed to attend games where their children are playing underage games.

The GAA did do a fine job at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. Offering club grounds and Croke Park for testing is just one example.

However to deny they did anything wrong once limited numbers were allowed into grounds is burying your head in the sand and defending the indefensible. Other sports such as athletics might have breached guidelines as well, but none did so on national TV with the nation watching.

The sheer number of cases rising from people attending GAA matches forced the government to act.

thewobbler

The sheer number of cases rising from people attending GAA matches forced the government to act

The sheer amount of dung in this one sentence could fertilise county Kildare for 3, maybe even 4 summers.

EDIT

(I can't presume the previous poster is wrong, I can only point out that he's making it up)

If supposition could be measured in dung, then this one sentence could fertilise an area the size of Co Kildare for 3, maybe even 4 summers.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2020, 10:55:58 PM
If people are picking up Covid at GAA games then cutting off that avenue makes sense. That's just a sensible medical decision. It's also worth noting that for several county boards social distancing was something that was the government's problem and they didn't seem to think the rules applied to them. No point in limiting fans if you let them all sit/stand together. They got a chance alot of other sports didn't get and they screwed it up themselves.
The rugby restarts in Aviva on Sat in empty stadiums, but the IRFU haven't sent a snotty demand through the media for a meeting with the government to demand answers. Why do you think the GAA are being treated badly compared to other sports? Makes no sense

Once again tonight the acting CMO stressed car pooling and congregating after are the main reason for such restrictions.

Anyway it's seems they got their answer on parents allowed to attend games where their children are playing underage games.

The GAA did do a fine job at the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. Offering club grounds and Croke Park for testing is just one example.

However to deny they did anything wrong once limited numbers were allowed into grounds is burying your head in the sand and defending the indefensible. Other sports such as athletics might have breached guidelines as well, but none did so on national TV with the nation watching.

The sheer number of cases rising from people attending GAA matches forced the government to act.
Just one example? I'll give you another. Club members across the country delivered food and other essentials to those that were cocooning.

Read back on previous posts and stop going on about crowd numbers and what they did in attendance. For the record the sheer number of cases rose mostly from indoor clusters.

RedHand88

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 20, 2020, 11:11:57 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 20, 2020, 10:55:58 PM

Just one example? I'll give you another. Club members across the country delivered food and other essentials to those that were cocooning.

Read back on previous posts and stop going on about crowd numbers and what they did in attendance. For the record the sheer number of cases rose mostly from indoor clusters.

Jesus not this again. How is this a free pass to flout regulations or to be exempt?
"Ah lads ye were sound at the start delivering food parcels to the old folk so we'll let you work away with your crowds. Those soccer and rugby types will just have live with it."

Cunny Funt

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 21, 2020, 12:01:09 AM

Jesus not this again. How is this a free pass to flout regulations or to be exempt?
"Ah lads ye were sound at the start delivering food parcels to the old folk so we'll let you work away with your crowds. Those soccer and rugby types will just have live with it."

Another that thinks games going behind closed doors is because of this. Jesus not this again indeed!

Eire90

Why are fans so obsessed with attending games when you can watch on tv

imtommygunn

There are a small number of games on tv. Most want to watch their own club and the likelihood of being able to do that is slim to none.