Managers and Payment

Started by heganboy, December 18, 2007, 07:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the situation with your club paying a manager and are you ok with it?

My club pays our manager/trainer and I'm happy with that
8 (25.8%)
My club pays our manager/trainer and I'm not happy with that
4 (12.9%)
My club doesn't pay our manager/trainer and I'm happy with that
10 (32.3%)
My club doesn't pay our manager/trainer and I'm not happy with that
0 (0%)
I dont know if my club pays our manager/ trainer
9 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 31

heganboy

So I've tried to get a sense of what the actual position of the club is, and if you'd like to leave your club and county that would help get a sense of the distribution of the paid managers. If anyone knows (not as in I heard from a fella in the bar) what the manager/ trainer is paid and wants to post it, feel free.

Also any thoughts on what you think should be the GAA's position on managers getting paid.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

passedit

I hope you've more luck than i did here http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5678.0 Heganboy. The righteously indignant were strangely muted on this point.
Don't Panic

heganboy

passedit- i hadn't seen your thread to be honest.

Its a weird and wonderful board, indignant or otherwise...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Zulu

My club doesn't pay any managers(that I know of), but I wouldn't have any issue with it as long as he was worth it. And by that I mean he knew what he was about and put in a decent effort, not that he was successful. It seems to me that this grant issue has the potential to stir up a hornets nest that we don't need to.

pintsofguinness

I think the problem arises when everyone does it.
I think there would be quite a bit of support if something genuine was going to be done to stamp it out.

If a club or county have the money and if their opposition is spending money on coaches then they'll feel it necessary to spend money to keep up.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

lynchbhoy

going rate in Dublin clubs and kildare clubs is 30k - 35k (euros)

Zulu

Quotegoing rate in Dublin clubs and kildare clubs is 30k - 35k (euros)

Seriously, I know a lad involved with a top Kildare club and he is definately not getting that. I find that hard to believe tbh Lynchbhoy, if that was the kind of money going about surely bigger name coaches would be heading to Dublin.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zulu on December 18, 2007, 09:18:00 PM
Quotegoing rate in Dublin clubs and kildare clubs is 30k - 35k (euros)

Seriously, I know a lad involved with a top Kildare club and he is definately not getting that. I find that hard to believe tbh Lynchbhoy, if that was the kind of money going about surely bigger name coaches would be heading to Dublin.
Well I know for a fact (know people in the club committees in various clubs in dublin and kildare)
that this is the case and all figures I have been told are between 30 and 35k - with rumours from other clubs (that I have no insider info) that there is more on offer.
I could name these clubs, but obv will not do so.
I am not in the habit of making stuff up so you will have to just trust me on this one - it is defo the case for quite a number of Dub and Kildare clubs.
I no longer have too much inside info on meath clubs, but at the time when I last did, the money on offer to some managers was top dollar for that period in time !

Zulu

Don't get me wrong Lynchbhoy I wasn't suggesting you were making it up. I just have never heard that kind of money being mentioned and like I say I know a few lads who would be well respected coaches (i.e IC experience) and they have never mentioned that kind of money.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zulu on December 18, 2007, 09:43:29 PM
Don't get me wrong Lynchbhoy I wasn't suggesting you were making it up. I just have never heard that kind of money being mentioned and like I say I know a few lads who would be well respected coaches (i.e IC experience) and they have never mentioned that kind of money.

no problem
but let me reiterate, this figure is very real and not just a one off figure
it is rampant around at least the top level of Dublin clubs (that pay managers) and exists in kildare

hard to believe, but its no wonder that so many people are taking to training/coaching/managing teams its a cracking earner, and as its cash in hand its as good as an annual salary is to most people.

gerry

Can't see many clubs being able to fork out that sort of money.  Wonder what pillar getting then, if dub clubs getting that money.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

lynchbhoy

Quote from: gerry on December 18, 2007, 10:08:07 PM
Can't see many clubs being able to fork out that sort of money.  Wonder what pillar getting then, if dub clubs getting that money.
a couple of golf classics and race nights would easily pay for it...
proceeds usually paid directly into managers bank account.
thats what was done at one club I know of.... (family member on organising committee)

Dubs dont pay their county manager

Bogball XV

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 18, 2007, 10:20:24 PM
Quote from: gerry on December 18, 2007, 10:08:07 PM
a couple of golf classics and race nights would easily pay for it...
proceeds usually paid directly into managers bank account.
thats what was done at one club I know of.... (family member on organising committee)

Dubs dont pay their county manager

yeah, but he'll be able to name his price if he ever takes sam, even without he'll get a fair few quid from many clubs.  That's how it works, many counties don't pay their manager, but when he leaves he reaps the rewards.  In Derry, I hear top rate coaches are on about €20K.

orangeman

As usual I think you're hearing stories about a very few clubs who are paying out big money - there's not too many clubs paying 20k -

lynchbhoy

Quote from: orangeman on December 18, 2007, 11:21:26 PM
As usual I think you're hearing stories about a very few clubs who are paying out big money - there's not too many clubs paying 20k -
not here say
I can vouch, take the pepsi challenge and swear on my life for at least three that pay 30k or more (euros)
the others I trust my impecible sources are correct...

no bulls**t